Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 PM

Default Re: How good are Massey Plugins really?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Wouldn't the existing users already have paid for RTAS/TDM, though? This is the source of my confusion.
The confusion goes away once the site is updated. It still says free until yesterday.

What I think is that in the future people are buying into one platform of their choice, and then get another platform support for dirt cheap update price.

Naturally us old customes have been enjoying TDM/RTAS for years so we don't need to buy that platform support. But since day one when AAX platform support was available, it was a no-brainer to buy and have been loving the four plugs in PT11 ever since.

I think this is a good move and will give them idea about how many users they have on different platforms, and therefore they can prioritize their bug fixing efforts (and new plugin development) better.

And I do believe once they get all plugs AAX64 and VST, they just might take a look into AU should they see people buying the stuff. JUST A GUESS. this page just gave me this idea.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:08 AM

Opinion of a beginner to Massey plugins. As I said I'm a beginner. my opinion of Massey plugs is solely based on first use experience. I am working on a session which requires Tape Echo on the lead guitar and vocal, (Rockabilly vintage sound). I tried the free download version and was immediately sold! I bought the Tape delay and it was what I needed. It's not quite as lush sounding as the real thing but close enough. I'm not audio technical and all I can do is reach a judgment based on what I hear. I plan on buying more Massey plugins as soon as possible. Meanwhile I'll be using the free samples as needed even though the settings revert when you close the session.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:56 AM

Love Them!...

Tape Saturator and Eq thing are great! But the L2007 limiter is the bomb!

If you're a guitar player the delay is exceptional in mono...stereo? not so much...
Old 02-17-2018, 07:22 AM

+1 for TapeHead. Use it all the time. Excellent stuff used from minimal all the way to liberal!

Haven't used L2007 for a while but it is still a great choice.

Also have the compressor and EQ but haven't used them much for a good while but good plugins for sure.

The de-esser sound better than my usual suspects. I still have that on my shopping list.

Not sure what is up with their website at the moment but I am getting a "not secure" message on two browsers?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 02-18-2018, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
+1 for TapeHead. Use it all the time. Excellent stuff used from minimal all the way to liberal!

Haven't used L2007 for a while but it is still a great choice.

Also have the compressor and EQ but haven't used them much for a good while but good plugins for sure.

The de-esser sound better than my usual suspects. I still have that on my shopping list.

Not sure what is up with their website at the moment but I am getting a "not secure" message on two browsers?

Stephen
I just got that as well on Firefox. Said the website was "improperly configured" whatever the heck that means, and they wouldn't let my browser connect in order to protect my data. So, no idea what's up with that.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:34 PM

Website seems fine here (Chrome on Win 10 pro). Maybe they got it straightened out.

Massey plugins are one of the things I miss most about working on Macs here in the studio. If he ever sees fit to make PC versions, I'll buy 'em all.

The de-esser and limiter were two of my favorite plugins, at the time.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 02-18-2018, 05:58 PM

i tried them all and the limiter didn't impress me whatsoever vs something like Pro L2.. but the compressor is just the bomb. That's got a unique vibe to it i can't replicate easily, it just really, well, "oomphs".

De esser not a patch on Pro DS or Eiosis, but usable, like many de esser plugins out there today. pro DS/sonnox/eiosis are simply a cut above and they are the best three.

Tape delay has a delicious feedback crunch to it, and the tapehead tape saturation very usable. I plan to get those three at some point soon.. I'm literally excited about CT5 and i rarely get excited over a plugin:) Of course, this is all just my opinion also!

The best tape sim i ever heard in my life was phoenix II, it literally blew me away, but i won't spend 500 bucks on a plugin (try 700 when converted here).
So i will use an "almost but not quite as good" alternative happily.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:02 AM

Yeah masseyplugins.com is back in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
The best tape sim i ever heard in my life was phoenix II, it literally blew me away, but i won't spend 500 bucks on a plugin (try 700 when converted here).
So i will use an "almost but not quite as good" alternative happily.
I was of the same opinion but it came up back in December at $149

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395424

Certainly well worth keep your eyes out for this plugin. Still stands up well against increasing competition.

Stephen

Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
Yeah masseyplugins.com is back in business

I was of the same opinion but it came up back in December at $149

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=395424

Certainly well worth keep your eyes out for this plugin. Still stands up well against increasing competition.

Stephen
Sad i missed that, now back at 449 USD. LOL. He can keep it. What a joke.. I actually find prices like that for plugins offensive, no matter the quality.

Even waves has taken note and priced things normally these days (never ending sales rotations).

heck, i don't think i ever paid more than $79 or $99 for a plugin alliance plugin over the last 5 years (maybe they'll do their take on a tape emu one day soon).

Anyway, overloud tapedesk is brilliant and i'd likely use it more than phoenix in reality due to the console emu included.. so that's the one i'm going to go for :)

Cheers
Old 02-20-2018, 02:41 AM

Understood.

I rarely part with more than $100 for a plugin these days. $150 is exceptional.

Yes, Plugin Alliance and Waves are leading the way in affordable, excellent quality plugins. I don't like the subscription model but Slate is notable in what it offers at $15 a month. We've never had it so good as far a plugins go and I think it will only improve in the coming years.

Stephen