Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 02-15-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Keystrokes not working the way I seem to remember from a while back

Hello Pro Tools community. I've been absent for some time as I have been having health issues for some time. I am trying to catch up to where I left off from a while back.

Some of you may remember a long post that I did regarding using keyboard shortcuts in a macro. The macro is run by a foot pedal assembly made by PI Engineering. (I know Avid has a free app - CONTROL - but I would rather use what I already know and understand. And the free app is way more than what is needed here)

Basically, people helped me to understand (in Windows) the keyboard shortcuts to do the following:

• Select a track
CTRL + Alt + F

Screen - 1.PNG

At the time when I had this all working I was able to put in a "track number" (1,2,3,4....) but now the track name must be entered.

First question: Is there a way to refer to the track number and not the track name like I used to? Perhaps there is a setting somewhere which would allow one to refer to tracks by their order?

Note that after I enter the track name and hit Enter, The track name is highlighted as seen below.

Screen - 2.PNG

Also note that I have activated the track below it by clicking on it with the grabber tool. This is to illustrate a point below.

The next step is to record enable the track:
SHIFT + R

I seem to recall that when I had this working before, after I would select a track this would activate it. Now, it just goes to that track but does not active it. So when I press SHIFT + R the following takes place.

Screen - 3.PNG

Track 2 is Record Enabled because it was active when I pressed SHIFT + R

My second question is: After selecting the track by name why does it not become activated? What do I need to do (keystrokes) to activate it so I may then Record Enable it?

Thanks everyone,
Dan

P.S. Is there a way for the screen prints to be larger and not be thumbnails that the reader has to click on to see?

Last edited by dan2004; 02-15-2018 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Additional question
Old 02-15-2018, 09:20 PM

Default Re: Keystrokes not working the way I seem to remember from a while back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2004 View Post
My second question is: After selecting the track by name why does it not become activated? What do I need to do (keystrokes) to activate it so I may then Record Enable it?

Thanks everyone,
Dan
Link Timeline and Edit Selection
Link Track and Edit Selection

Turn those on. Both under the Options menu or the button under the hand/grabber tool and the one just to the right of it. Click those on.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:38 PM

Page 646 of the manual says scroll to track number should still work if track view number is on but it is broken in real life.

So Avid broke this ability.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 AM

BScout

Thank you very much for your reply. I am going to try your suggestion for my first question today. Your suggestion sounds like it should work

Quote:
Page 646 of the manual says scroll to track number should still work if track view number is on but it is broken in real life.
Would you please give me the navigation to turn on "track view number". I realize you mentioned it is broken but if the manual says it should work and it indeed does not, I would like to call Avid and see if they have a work around that just has not been released yet to users.

Thanks BSout!
Dan
Old 02-16-2018, 07:47 AM

BScout

Thank you very much for your reply. I am going to try your suggestion for my first question today. Your suggestion sounds like it should work

Quote:
Would you please give me the navigation to turn on "track view number". I realize you mentioned it is broken but if the manual says it should work and it indeed does not, I would like to call Avid and see if they have a work around that just has not been released yet to users.

Thanks BSout!
Dan
Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 AM

BScout

Your suggestion to turn on:

"Link Timeline and Edit Selection" and
"Link Track and Edit Selection"

in order to be able to use the keystroke SHIFT + R to record enable the selected tracks works perfectly! Thanks

No need to tell me how to enable track numbers. I found it and am sorry for even asking. You are right though, the manual says you can access tracks by their number but it is a bug in PT 12 I think because it will not work, I found the description about how to do it on page 626 of the reference manual. See below:

Screen 4.jpg

Would anyone else have heard of anything about this issue and perhaps how to make it work?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 02-16-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2004 View Post
Would anyone else have heard of anything about this issue and perhaps how to make it work?

Thanks,
Dan
There's no way to make this work (no workaround) so save yourself the grief of trying to look for it. In the process of putting in the new, more advanced "find track" they eliminated it. It's a bit of a question whether that was intentional or not (eliminating that) -- I've found other sections of the User Reference that mention things that have changed and will not be changed back. So it seems the reference manual editors fall behind development.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:17 PM

BScout

Thanks for the help

Dan
Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM

BScout,

I called Avid to find out why the scroll function will not recognize a track number. Thought you might like to read their response.

Quote:
Hi Dan,

We have validated the issue you are encountering, and it affects Pro Tools 12.8.2 up to 2018.1 (which was released almost a month ago). We would advise that you downgrade back to Pro Tools 12.8.1 for now, so that you can continue using the "Scroll to Track" function as how it was with older Pro Tools versions.

We already escalated this case to our Engineering team for further investigation, and we will get back to you as soon as there are updates. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Raf
AVID Customer Care | Audio Post & Pro - AMER
So I guess that's what I'll do. Doesn't really matter I guess.
Thanks again for helping me,
Dan
Old 02-18-2018, 12:20 PM

Well that's good news. Looks like they'll put it back.