Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Video Engine in PT11.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
wouldnt touch 11 with a 10 foot pole...too much work booked and in progress....maybe in a year or so when they finally make it work properly...

At that rate, you might as well wait for Protools 12, which by my estimation should be out this Fall at AES (a year and a half after 11).
Old 01-10-2014, 08:19 AM

I upgraded to 11.1 yesterday. HDX on an HP z800. Took the plunge before laying back an hour long show. It's running really well. Fixed an aspect ratio issue I was having and has been very stable so far. Still not thrilled about the way output busses work in I/O setup, but so far so good with regard to video playback.

@timothyday_musicandsound
Timothy Day
Old 01-10-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
At that rate, you might as well wait for Protools 12, which by my estimation should be out this Fall at AES (a year and a half after 11).
Yes but it would be nice to get a working 11 version before having to pay again fo 12...
Old 01-10-2014, 10:41 AM

My conclusion is that if 11.2 will suffer from the same issues as it has till now, my PT HD11 will go on eBay…Hah! not so easy! Avid doesn't allow transfer for HD 11 asset.
So I just better shut up. Right Avid?

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 01-12-2014, 03:48 AM

Capture.jpgJust a thought as to the delay in PT starting, have you set the video playback latency to "shortest" in the Preferences?
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 01-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Attachment 1374Just a thought as to the delay in PT starting, have you set the video playback latency to "shortest" in the Preferences?

My system does not have a problem with this 'delay' that the OP talks about. He says it is a 'huge delay and renders PT 11 unusable'. I am now working on my 4th feature film in PT 11.1 and I have never seen this delay. There is under a 1/2 second wait time from the time I hit play for PT to start rolling. You can see this "tiny delay" if you look at the 'pause button' on the transport. When I hit play, the 'pause button' flashes for less than 1/2 second (I am guessing it is less than 1/2 second, it could even be shorter, but it is so short I don't even know how to measure it accurately). This 'start delay' for me is SHORTER than when I was using my Accel TDM2 with a 512 buffer. Sometimes on really heavy sessions I used to buffer up my TDM to 1024 and that was a long delay.

There are some really bad issues with the video engine, but for me, specifically this delay is NOT an issue and does not affect my work flow.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
He says it is a 'huge delay and renders PT 11 unusable'.
In fact, I haven't mentioned the delay in the list of issues I'm experiencing because that was the only thing that was fixed in 11.1 as far as I'm concerned...
Nevertheless some other users are experiencing delays when using external video. This seems to be a Blackmagic issue.
Since starting this thread I've been experiencing less problems but the kind of randomness at which they occur definitely makes me think 11 is not totally ready yet...
Jerome
Old 01-12-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yop22 View Post
In fact, I haven't mentioned the delay in the list of issues I'm experiencing because that was the only thing that was fixed in 11.1 as far as I'm concerned...
Nevertheless some other users are experiencing delays when using external video. This seems to be a Blackmagic issue.
Since starting this thread I've been experiencing less problems but the kind of randomness at which they occur definitely makes me think 11 is not totally ready yet...
Jerome

I was not referring to you (sorry about the misunderstanding), I think it was mggoorevich who was active in this thread, and who was reporting and unfortunately appears to be experiencing the huge delay problem. His thread was also picked up by Pro-Tools Expert because his system is un-usable because his delay. I also have the BlackMagic card, the Decklink HD Extreme, and I do not see the delay others are reporting.

I also have some video issues but not related to the delay, for example, a Pro-Res HD that plays perfect in PT 10, imports as a weird 22 Frame rate and looks terrible and out of sync. I converted this Pro Res to Avid codec HDnx and that now it works perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT 10 reads correct frame rate.jpg (44.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PT 11 Bad Video reads wrong frame rate.jpg (35.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:33 PM

I never said that I had a huge delay. But, yes I still have 1/2 sec delay on pressing playback. And for me it is huge especially when I edit dialogs. When I owned HD3 Accel I never saw it on a small dialog session. It did increased with the tack count and buffer size, but then again at the mix stage its less a problem as I prefer to concentrate on other things rather editing.
But Foleys, BG, SFX and all other editing becomes a disaster for me with PT 11.1.1.
And I still have aspect ratio wierness while otputing DNxHD out SDI from the BM card.... But this is another story.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 01-13-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I never said that I had a huge delay. But, yes I still have 1/2 sec delay on pressing playback. And for me it is huge especially when I edit dialogs. When I owned HD3 Accel I never saw it on a small dialog session. It did increased with the tack count and buffer size, but then again at the mix stage its less a problem as I prefer to concentrate on other things rather editing.
But Foleys, BG, SFX and all other editing becomes a disaster for me with PT 11.1.1.
And I still have aspect ratio wierness while otputing DNxHD out SDI from the BM card.... But this is another story.

Really????this is one of your posts:

nfortunately Avid support is not very helpful in my case either.
I had pretty long email correspondence and even supplied to Avid problematic files and sessions….but the problem still persists.
From my point of view it's far away from the solution even though they fixed black screen issues in 11.1.
There still a huge delay when pressing playback.
There is still an issue when randomly PT doesn't start playing after hitting play.
I still have no success for BM SDI to feed our Christie cinema projector.
With PT 10.3.8 it works perfect.