Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Default Re: IK Multimedia announces Miroslav Philharmonik 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
A Big +1 to everything in your post Brian

We use the Kontrol S88 weighted keys and just updated to K10 Ultimate as we got a great price from a dealer here in Sweden so I can easily recommend Kontrol S88 or 61 if you feel that is more in your price range. The smaller keyboards are good aswell but hard to play on if you are a keyboard player.
Have you or anyone at the studio there used an Akai with the VIP? I've had not so great experiences with AIR/InMusic and the customer service in my experience has been almost non-existent. But, in this review of the VIP vs NKS, the VIP looks like it has a slight edge because Akai maps the plugins themselves so there are many more plugins that are supported out of the box, plus you get the screen on the keyboard.

Sorry to further derail your thread Peter, everyone go check out the sounds of Miroslav Philharmonik 2

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-19-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Sorry to further derail your thread Peter, everyone go check out the sounds of Miroslav Philharmonik 2
I am sorry too Peter,

....,but I still want to know if IKM intends to add the NKS technology to their products ..., Or Not
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's
Old 12-20-2015, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Have you or anyone at the studio there used an Akai with the VIP? I've had not so great experiences with AIR/InMusic and the customer service in my experience has been almost non-existent. But, in this review of the VIP vs NKS, the VIP looks like it has a slight edge because Akai maps the plugins themselves so there are many more plugins that are supported out of the box, plus you get the screen on the keyboard.

Hey Brian

We had one Akai 61 Advance here last week on loan with the LED screen and it was awesome. The VIP software worked with basically all our VI like Nexus, Spire, Synthmaster, Tone2 etc but after reading up on AIR and their not so great support we decided to go with NI instead. I know a few guys at NI and their roadmap is really interesting going forward.

And the fact NI has have the 88 key version we bought which is fantastic as our Master keyboard made our decision pretty easy. We wlso bought the Seaboard Rise which we use with NI libraries and even though it is a 25 key platform it is easily the coolest purchase we made ( not counting the Ravens ) this year

I had a nice "chat" with them (Native Instruments) when I was there in another studio working a few weeks ago and great things are coming so it was the NI system for us.

But the Akai is great, i just don't trust VIP will be supported by every developer and supported the way we want it to.

On the Akai there is a nice clear screen to navigate but we found ourselves looking at our new Raven MTi2's instead so for us that function was overkill, the NI doesn't have that but the light function on the NI keyboard is a great feature and worth more to us who make pop house dance tracks Lazy keyboardists here even though I am classically schooled pianist hehe

I think it is a matter of taste and choice, they are both good options now however I believe in NI as we have upgraded to NI K10U from KU9 for a small sum and thought we go with what we are invested in and knowing whats coming NI is the most reliable for us ( all my opinion of course )

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-21-2015, 08:07 AM
IK Multimedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothardly View Post
i will have to say upgrade pricing is ridiculous to say the least. IK is about the worst at caring for past customers. i'll gladly pass.
$300 off full the price is ridiculous? This is not a casual set of samples done at a local studio - these are amazing players playing incredible instruments sampled at a top notch studio by the master Miroslav Vitous himself at the helm. This is no bargain-basement library and the upgrade price of $199 (minus 30% using JamPoints which those that are past customers would have for any other purchases made) seems like a pretty good deal based on how premium a library it really is.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:46 PM

Just an FYI. I have Sampletank 3 and just installed MP2 this weekend. I had some initial difficulty with switching between ST3 and MP2 on different tracks. The sample sets kept switching which meant I had to go into options and change the sample path each time I switched. Eventually it crashed PT12.3.1. and I could not access either sample set.

I deleted MP2 from the computer and installed the MP2 samples in the ST3 folder. Now ST3 is the controller for both sample sets and it works very smoothly with easy access to both in the sample menu.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK Multimedia View Post
$300 off full the price is ridiculous? This is not a casual set of samples done at a local studio - these are amazing players playing incredible instruments sampled at a top notch studio by the master Miroslav Vitous himself at the helm. This is no bargain-basement library and the upgrade price of $199 (minus 30% using JamPoints which those that are past customers would have for any other purchases made) seems like a pretty good deal based on how premium a library it really is.
What IS ridiculous is having to pay $199 just to get an upgrade to AAX 64 Bit regardless of the "perceived improvement" you seem to think we should have to swallow.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 01-03-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightWing View Post
What IS ridiculous is having to pay $199 just to get an upgrade to AAX 64 Bit regardless of the "perceived improvement" you seem to think we should have to swallow.

Exactly!!! All I've got to say about that is Kontakt
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:45 AM

Yup.

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 01-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Exactly!!! All I've got to say about that is Kontakt
MP2 seems to offer a lot more than the Kontakt factory orchestra library. A comparable third party library for Kontakt may be near the same price as, or more than, the upgrade.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:19 AM

I think the price is reasonable considering they have reworked the library and now have more samples, but I agree it would be nice to have a cheaper option for those of us who simply want backwards compatibility with our old sessions. I have a lot of sessions from 2007-2008 that relied on philharmonik heavily that I can't open with my current OS and daw versions.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?