Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2018, 10:20 PM

Default "Cycle Playlists" shortcut logic

Does anyone understand the logic behind the "Cycle Playlists" shortcut (Shift+Up or Shift+Down)?

My expectation was that this shortcut would adjust the playlists so that either the second or bottom playlists are now the main playlist. But it seems to instead be grabbing playlists from seemingly random places (often from the middle of the playlists). Why would it pull from the middle? I can't figure it out any rhyme or reason to this.

Is there any way to just quickly move the bottom, or second, playlist to the main playlist. I know I can use promote, but then I have to do a bunch of extra legwork to preemptively relocate whatever is already in the main playlist so it doesn't get overwritten, and then rename the playlists, etc.

In general, the playlist ordering seems needlessly confusing.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Re: "Cycle Playlists" shortcut logic

I had forgotten that you can simply right-click on the main track and choose the desired playlist from the drop-down list. I can just use that. I can't believe I had forgotten about it.

I'm still confused about how the "Shift+Up/Shift+Down" playlist shortcuts work, but I guess I can live without them now that I remember the simpler right-click-and-pick-a-playlist method.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:46 PM

Default Re: "Cycle Playlists" shortcut logic

If you create a first playlist and name it, e.g., "Playlist 1 and then subsequently create playlists named "Playlist 2", "Playlist 3", etc., it seems to cycle them in the order (or reverse order) in which they were created.