Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Default Recover Session File (Cannot Open/Created In Newer/Older Version Of Pro Tools

Hello,

This has been a topic covered many times, but I am looking to see if anyone has some useful current insight to how a recovered session file from a bad hard drive could be saved/opened. These session files open Pro Tools 11 but I receive the messages:

"The document could not be opened because it was created with an older version of Pro Tools."

and:

"The document could not be opened because it was created with a newer version of Pro Tools."

I get the different messages as I have gone through trying to open auto backups of the session file. I've also tried importing session data into a blank session but I get the same error messages.

I'm not sure if contacting Avid support would do any good either, they may just be corrupt. But since it's a 'newer/older' message I thought maybe trying to change the dates of the session files themselves might help, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone know a trick that might work to get these sessions to at least open? Thanks In Advance
Old 04-22-2016, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Recover Session File (Cannot Open/Created In Newer/Older Version Of Pro Tools

Hello,

Same problem.
I worked on my PT session (PT HD12.5.0, OS 10.11). The session has crashed and after restart, impossible to re-open the session.

"The document could not be opened because it was created with a newer version of Pro Tools."

I try on an other PT 12, a PT 10, importing session data ... always the same message.

if someone has an idea ?
Thanks !!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Recover Session File (Cannot Open/Created In Newer/Older Version Of Pro Tools

Cam,
In my research that I did a while ago, I did not find any workaround. I now use auto backup, every 5min, keep last 10 backup files. :-(
Hope you didn't loose too much...

bradp

Mac Pro:
PT 11.3.2 HD native, MIDI IO, 96IO
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8
Old 04-25-2016, 04:27 AM

Hi!
Thx for your answer !

But I restart my work from the beginning, because all the "session file backup" are corrupted as my master session !

I tested all files and all sessions of the day didn't open with the same error message. While the sessions of the previous days are ok.

is this a bug on PT12 or with El Capitan ?

Thank you! :)
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camz View Post
Hi!
Thx for your answer !

But I restart my work from the beginning, because all the "session file backup" are corrupted as my master session !

I tested all files and all sessions of the day didn't open with the same error message. While the sessions of the previous days are ok.

is this a bug on PT12 or with El Capitan ?

Thank you! :)
Hi Cam,
After some thought: My advise to you, backup every project that you have on that drive. Actually do it right now. the reason I say this is after I had that issue, I checked my drive with techtool and found it had bad blocks. Bad blocks are when a sector of the drive becomes unable to read and write. This "can" be the end of the drives life span. I have even seen new drives have BB's on them... When you do a drive format, the system will map out the bad block. In my case the damage was severe enough that I was not able to format the drive. (super old) I had made a backup so I didnt loose any of my data (except that one session). You should do a backup and then check the drive with a utility that can recognize bad blocks. If you find any BB's, you should format the drive, so it can map them out. If a new drive you should be ok. I would check it again in a few weeks to see if any BB's have shown up. If so, be weary of that drive. If it's an old drive, I prob. would not trust it any longer. Use if for stuff you wont freak about losing. Im speaking solely from experience, I'm not a drive expert. Good luck and let me know how things work out. Brad P

Mac Pro:
PT 11.3.2 HD native, MIDI IO, 96IO
Mac Pro Desktop 4,1 osx 10.11.6., 8 Core 2.26GHz 2009 Intel Xeon MB535LL/A 16GB RAM 640GB HD ATI 4870
-----
MBP:
OS 10.11.6, MacBookPro 5,1, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Memory: 8 GB Bus Speed:1.07 GHz, Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06, SMC Version (system):1.33f8
Old 04-27-2016, 05:10 AM

What I find if I have a session that crashes for some reason and upon restart it throws error messages is to do a cold restart of the system. Meaning I shut everything down, pull the AC mains plug from the wall, count to 10, re-plugin the AC mains, restart the system, restart PT, re-open the session and it's okay. Seems to clear out any caches the system might have built up.

QAPLA!