Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 08:22 PM

Default is it just me?

Is it just me or do plug ins really not sound that good? when I mix I usually use the plug in compressors on stuff that really doesn't matter too much like say a stray guitar fill that comes in here or there or a wacked out back up vocal etc. when I've tried to use plug ins such as the 1176, la2a, 3a, renosance, focusrite, impact on something that counts, they don't hold up. In fact, they don't really sound better than an inexpensive analog compressor such as a DBX 160x. Certainly not their analog counterpoints. The plug in eqs work ok on stuff that doesn't matter either. As far as I'm concerned the Fairchild 660 is ok, the moogerfooter stuff is good, some of the verbs and echos are good, the pultec eqs are good but the rest don't really cut it. I'd like to hear more opinons on this. Am I doing something wrong?
Electrok
Old 12-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: is it just me?

Your system?
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or do plug ins really not sound that good?
No, it’s not just you, but that doesn’t mean I agree.

Aside from the many issues loading comparisons* of software plug-in to the hardware it tries to emulate, no processor (in any category—dynamics, EQ, fx, etc) is going to be the right tool for every job. That was true for hardware, and it remains true with plug-ins. By the same token, it can and must be said that, sonically speaking, some plug-ins are indeed crap, while others are truly superior products.

* Too many to rehash here. Search the archives. It’s been a popular topic through the (digital) ages, and discussed on the DUC at least twice.

I employ a combination of hardware and software processing every day—because I like what they each have to offer. Decisions as to what gets used are made on a case-by-case basis. Many times a plug-in will yield a better result than any of the outside boxes I own. Many other times, the reverse is true. But wait… many other times yet, the solution comes from using hardware and software.

There’s a lot of great sounding music being recorded, mixed, and mastered, using plug-ins. The latter are “new” tools and should be treated as such. To paint all of them with the same brush (in either positive or negative way) is short-sighted.

Quote:
[…] Am I doing something wrong?
Hard to tell from a distance, not to mention the fact that all we have to go by is a question about plug-ins.

IHTH.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 12-15-2005, 10:38 PM

hang on, i wanna get out my 10 foot pole............
Old 12-15-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or do plug ins really not sound that good?
. . . Where would one even start to enter this topic for discussion?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Am I doing something wrong? Electrok
Wow, let me be concise...
Yes.

My New Instructional Mixing DVD 2 is Shipping
www.tonysound.com
http://twitter.com/tonysound
Old 12-16-2005, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Is it just me ...
Am I doing something wrong?
Probably

Your reference to "something that counts" and "stuff that doesn't matter either." also concerns me... if it doesn't count or doesn't matter, why is it in your mix? Speaks of inexperience -- so pardon me if this comes across as condescending.

Your shopping list of plugins is pretty generic -- looks like you have one bundle of BF plugs and you are judging all plugs based on the BF bundle. Time to visit a dealer or download some demos and listen to what the good plugs can do.

You should also take a look at how you record - bus levels, etc... are you using your tools correctly?

There are too many experienced engineers doing top-shelf, high quality work with plugs, so yes, it must be you...

Now, try rephrasing your question: "how do other engineers use plugin eq effectively?" and maybe you'll learn something...
Old 12-16-2005, 09:46 AM

> Is it just me or do plug ins really not sound that good? <

Take two MDW EQs, an Oxford dynamics, an Echo Boy, chase it with an Altiverb 5 and call us in the morning. If you're still feeling down, you might have to up the dosage to an L3, a shot of Revibe and two instances of Pheonix
Old 12-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Here's what i did to find out for myself:

1. Duplicate the track you want to test.

2. insert a analog eq/comp/delay or whatever you want to compare to on track 1.

3. try to do the same thing (or better) with a plug-in on the other track.

4. A/B the tracks............use your judgement.

Plug-in's vari alot (just like analog gear).There is a BIG difference between say a UA Cambridge EQ and a Digi EQII.

Also, good Tequilla helps make just about anything sound better.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Is it just me or do plug ins really not sound that good? Electrok
It's just you - I recorded for 25 years and the abilty to go back and recall settings instantly far out weights any benefits of a slight difference in quality you may hear soloed in a controlled studio enviroment. I have racks filled with Neve, SSL, Focusrite, UREI, Manley and all the other stuff and when I work none of them get turned on. All the dinosaur gear is for the other people that rent my space. I am more than happy to spend hours recalling mixes for clients - if that's what they want.
I just had a producer from Nashville working in my studio he used all Digirack plug-ins, a couple of McDSP Eq's and nothing on the 2 bus. It was all good.