Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-03-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Using multiple versions of ProTools??

This really looks like an Official Pro Tools Website Forum Entity.. Logos & all... Anyhow....

I really haven't had the time to mess with the Computer... I have a lot of other stuff in my life to deal with... Some time opened up for me & I needed some Tech Support assistance re; System Backups.. Having a Computer from one Company, an Interface from another, PT Software from another, and so on... Everytime you ask one Place for Assistance it may affect some of the Pieces in the System.. Sometimes they refer to the other guy who sometimes refers you to the other guy.. Catch 22 +... I am primarily a Musician.. not a Technician... I really haven't had/have much interest in the Tech end of it... Now, while I am trying to learn & do this stuff I am slow & it does make me nervous that something can screw up & can shut down the whole System putting me out of business... For that I apologize..

I updated the info you requested above. By the way I bought it new from Apple, not a bargain left over from Best Buy ;-) Although, what difference would that make??? Again, a totally unnecessary Smart ***** remark... WTF???

I've never contacted GearSlutz.. However, if I ever do & they want to eat my lunch, I have no qualms about telling them what they can really eat.... Why do you Guys even want to ge there???? It's totlally unnecessary...

I'm going to do the RAM upgrade tonite!!! I'll try to split Partitions this weekend & see how that goes.. I'll keep my PT10 on one Partition. I should probably order a bigger SS Hard Drive before loading the new PT2018 on the other Partition... From the above comment am I to understand Mojave is now approved for PT2018 & all the glitches have been worked out?

Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 05:20 PM

PT 2018 is NOT Mojave approved and you will have to do some ”tech” stuff to use that and for some it has gone badly but the next update which will be 2019.5 will according to Avid be Mojave approved so I would definitely wait for that release after reading up on your skills.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-03-2019, 10:41 PM

Memory upgrade done. Now has 16 Gig Ram....
Old 05-04-2019, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
This really looks like an Official Pro Tools Website Forum Entity.. Logos & all... Anyhow....

I really haven't had the time to mess with the Computer... I have a lot of other stuff in my life to deal with... Some time opened up for me & I needed some Tech Support assistance re; System Backups.. Having a Computer from one Company, an Interface from another, PT Software from another, and so on... Everytime you ask one Place for Assistance it may affect some of the Pieces in the System.. Sometimes they refer to the other guy who sometimes refers you to the other guy.. Catch 22 +... I am primarily a Musician.. not a Technician... I really haven't had/have much interest in the Tech end of it... Now, while I am trying to learn & do this stuff I am slow & it does make me nervous that something can screw up & can shut down the whole System putting me out of business... For that I apologize..

I updated the info you requested above. By the way I bought it new from Apple, not a bargain left over from Best Buy ;-) Although, what difference would that make??? Again, a totally unnecessary Smart ***** remark... WTF???

I've never contacted GearSlutz.. However, if I ever do & they want to eat my lunch, I have no qualms about telling them what they can really eat.... Why do you Guys even want to ge there???? It's totlally unnecessary...

I'm going to do the RAM upgrade tonite!!! I'll try to split Partitions this weekend & see how that goes.. I'll keep my PT10 on one Partition. I should probably order a bigger SS Hard Drive before loading the new PT2018 on the other Partition... From the above comment am I to understand Mojave is now approved for PT2018 & all the glitches have been worked out?

Thanks
You have NOT completely updated your info. You still haven't told us what size and type hard drive you have. Why is that so difficult for you to do? With that we should be able to give you advice on whether to split the drive you have now or not. It seems like you purchased a base model with no options and if that's true then you have a 5400 rpm spinner system drive. Partitioning that is a fool's errand and even using it for PT10 work is an even bigger fool's errand.

As is told to many people - you're going to have to become tech savvy because PT is NOT XBOX plug and play. You have no need to contact multiple tech support people as you've been given everything you need to know right here.

And why do you keep posting the serial number of the computer? That's plain stupid and dangerous. That won't get you any help. The EMC number (which you get when doing an 'about this Mac' and looking at the system profile is of more use.

QAPLA!
Old 05-05-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You have NOT completely updated your info. You still haven't told us what size and type hard drive you have. Why is that so difficult for you to do? With that we should be able to give you advice on whether to split the drive you have now or not. It seems like you purchased a base model with no options and if that's true then you have a 5400 rpm spinner system drive. Partitioning that is a fool's errand and even using it for PT10 work is an even bigger fool's errand.

As is told to many people - you're going to have to become tech savvy because PT is NOT XBOX plug and play. You have no need to contact multiple tech support people as you've been given everything you need to know right here.

And why do you keep posting the serial number of the computer? That's plain stupid and dangerous. That won't get you any help. The EMC number (which you get when doing an 'about this Mac' and looking at the system profile is of more use.
A couple years ago I had some problems with my MBP & took it to Apple. They recommended the work needed, I said ok & they fixed whatever was wrong.. Again, I don't consider myself a Computer Whiz.. I know you guys agree.

Anyhow, Re: Hard Drive. When I go to About this Mac & go to Storage it says - MacIntosh HD 1 TB SATA Disk - Blackbox Plus Media...
Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
A couple years ago I had some problems with my MBP & took it to Apple. They recommended the work needed, I said ok & they fixed whatever was wrong.. Again, I don't consider myself a Computer Whiz.. I know you guys agree.

Anyhow, Re: Hard Drive. When I go to About this Mac & go to Storage it says - MacIntosh HD 1 TB SATA Disk - Blackbox Plus Media...
It will tell you a lot more about that if you look more in the System Info utility. Like this...

Available: 424.27 GB (424,266,117,120 bytes)
Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,240,963,584 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: APFS
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk1s1
Volume UUID: xxx
Physical Drive:
Device Name: APPLE SSD SM1024L
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Medium Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI-Express
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: Unknown
Old 05-05-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It will tell you a lot more about that if you look more in the System Info utility. Like this...

Available: 424.27 GB (424,266,117,120 bytes)
Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,240,963,584 bytes)
Mount Point: /
File System: APFS
Writable: Yes
Ignore Ownership: No
BSD Name: disk1s1
Volume UUID: xxx
Physical Drive:
Device Name: APPLE SSD SM1024L
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Medium Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI-Express
Internal: Yes
Partition Map Type: Unknown
I find Disk Utilities (which says Macintosh HD 1TB Blackbox Plus Media) & System Info under Utilities in the Finder but I'm not finding System Utilities Info? Is that the same thing?

What other info Am I looking for?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 PM

Use the System Info, they changed the utility name more recently, but which you can alway get at from under the Apple Logo menu > "About this Mac", keep drilling down until you find details similar to what I pasted.

People are trying to work out what frigging exact drive you have. It's specs, performance, free space. etc. All you need to do is paste the equivalent of what I just did. Find that, copy and paste it all here.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:16 AM

I feel like a pic is going to be easiest.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Use the System Info, they changed the utility name more recently, but which you can alway get at from under the Apple Logo menu > "About this Mac", keep drilling down until you find details similar to what I pasted.

People are trying to work out what frigging exact drive you have. It's specs, performance, free space. etc. All you need to do is paste the equivalent of what I just did. Find that, copy and paste it all here.
Putting my detective hat on and going from the scant drive info Lars has given us his current system drive is a 5400 rpm spinner. Combine mid 2012 15 inch MBP with a 1TB drive and looking at MacTracker that's what I come up with. And if that is true then partitioning that is indeed a Fool's Errand of high caliber. This assumes he hasn't had that changed out when he took it to Apple to get whatever it needed fixed. Really wish he'd tell us exactly what he had done but I doubt he knows which ain't good.

QAPLA!