Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM

Default Re: MIDI timing / recording delays with Delay Compensation

Well I did that little experiment and it works.

Actually used Omnisphere in 10.3.6 for the test.

1) Created 8 stereo instrument tracks.
2) Loaded up omnisphere onto the first instrument track.
3) Set up 8 different sounds in omnisphere channels 1-8, and set each sound in the omnisphere mixer to go via a different output (A to H)
4) Set the MIDI output of each of the 8 instrument tracks to omnisphere 1-8
5) Left the audio input of the track with omnisphere on it untocuhed (says no input)
6) Set the audio inputs of the other 7 instrument tracks to omnisphere Stereo B to H

Then, whichever track I have record armed sends midi to the relevant omnisphere channel, and the audio comes out of the relevant instrument track too.

Recorded midi data onto each track and played back. MIDI is routed correctly and audio comes out correctly.

So, no need to use a combination of MIDI and Aux tracks for the extra parts of a multi-timbral VI. Just use Instrument tracks and set up the MIDI outputs and audio inputs appropriately.

I feel silly that I didn't try that sooner.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM

Thanks for that, Nigel. That is useful to know about.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:07 AM

Nigel, your method is mentioned on Pro Tools Expert today.

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ps-part-5.html
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Yeah, I noticed ...... what a co-incidence ;-)

I was that impressed that I posted a coment on that community tip, including links to my posts in this thread

Thanks for the head's up though
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 10-14-2014, 06:28 AM

I haven't the time nor the patience to read this entire thread. I understand you have found a workaround, but to add my 2 cents. It is a bug in Pro Tools existing in and up to the latest 32bit ver (10.3.9) which entails as follows:

Using a midi track to trigger an instrument (not directly sequencing on the instruments track itself).

The idiots who code for avid have somehow managed to add in the latency of the master buss to the chain. Ergo the latency of a midi track to the actual instrument track equals buffer samples (1024,2048,etc) plus ALL of the latency of your plugins on the MASTER buss plus 328 samples just for fun. This is what AVID call ADC!

so you can use the "global midi playback offset" feature (preferences -> MIDI) to counteract your buffer latency, but don't track with plugins on your master buss until AVID pull their finger out....or use the instrument track directly...

love, peace, and have a nice life!
Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 AM

This midi > instrument track bug is really annoying. I believe AUX have automatic delay comp, is this the same case for instrument tracks?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twan52 View Post
I haven't the time nor the patience to read this entire thread. I understand you have found a workaround, but to add my 2 cents. It is a bug in Pro Tools existing in and up to the latest 32bit ver (10.3.9) which entails as follows:

Using a midi track to trigger an instrument (not directly sequencing on the instruments track itself).

The idiots who code for avid have somehow managed to add in the latency of the master buss to the chain. Ergo the latency of a midi track to the actual instrument track equals buffer samples (1024,2048,etc) plus ALL of the latency of your plugins on the MASTER buss plus 328 samples just for fun. This is what AVID call ADC!

so you can use the "global midi playback offset" feature (preferences -> MIDI) to counteract your buffer latency, but don't track with plugins on your master buss until AVID pull their finger out....or use the instrument track directly...

love, peace, and have a nice life!
Weird post. You don't have time to read the thread but had time to write a long post about a topic with which you're unfamiliar because you didn't feel inclined to read it and because you wanted to take an opportunity to jab at Avid.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 AM

I am having this issue too. And the wierd thing is, it just started happening as I'm touching up final mixes on a project.

Maddening. And still no real solution.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Weird post. You don't have time to read the thread but had time to write a long post about a topic with which you're unfamiliar because you didn't feel inclined to read it and because you wanted to take an opportunity to jab at Avid.
To be honest, taking a jab at Avid is perfectly appropriate, if that was the intent. There are tons of DAWs out there who have this kind of thing on LOCK. Frankly, I would have had every track on Track Freeze if this was Logic and I wouldnt be having this issue.

Anything that takes me out of creative mode is worthy of the strongest of criticisms.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Come one now, you're talking to the king of tangential stabs at Avid (because, yes, they have their issues), but even I thought his 'I can't be bothered by this thread, but I'll post something unrelated anyway' was hilariously forced.