Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Two ADC timing issues - Melodyne and UAD

When I bounce a Melodyne plugin track across to another audio track the audio sounds early during the bounce but plays back correctly afterwards...???!!!

And I think the current version of the UAD software is not reporting the correct delay, it doesn't seem to be quite right (can't remember which way). Anyone else notice these probs?
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Two ADC timing issues - Melodyne and UAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolagonda View Post
When I bounce a Melodyne plugin track across to another audio track the audio sounds early during the bounce but plays back correctly afterwards...???!!!

And I think the current version of the UAD software is not reporting the correct delay, it doesn't seem to be quite right (can't remember which way). Anyone else notice these probs?
Hi,

When you bounce and the track is in record mode it will sound out of time! but once you un-arm the record track it will be fine.

Not having any issues with UAD 5.4. what problem are you having? They now have the same delay reading as the buffer setting!! except those that up sample for higher resolution processing, so they will have slightly more delay.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:01 AM

If you right click on the bottom delay comp it will turn auto low latency off, making the number appear blue, and your bounced track will play in time while in input and while recording.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:25 AM

WernerF thanks for the hint, I had never heard of this mode before (and maybe Crizdee can benefit from it too!)

Crizdee, I've discovered the problem happens when you hit the bypass at the top of the UAD plug - there is then no delay, but the compensation is still active. So clearly, (note to self!) the answer is to use the plugin's Power button rather than the Pro Tools bypass button. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "except those that up sample for higher resolution processing". Which are those, and do they compensate correctly?
PT2023.12 - Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB RAM - macOS 13.6.3 - UAD-2 Satellite Octo/Apollo 8tb Duo/Apollo 16ii/Prism Lyra 2 - Euphonix Artist Control - All the plugins(!) Waves/PA/Slate/SSL/McDSP/UAD/Kush/SoundToys/Eventide/Softube/NI/PSP/Sonible/BABY/Fabfilter/Sonnox etc.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
WernerF thanks for the hint, I had never heard of this mode before (and maybe Crizdee can benefit from it too!)

Crizdee, I've discovered the problem happens when you hit the bypass at the top of the UAD plug - there is then no delay, but the compensation is still active. So clearly, (note to self!) the answer is to use the plugin's Power button rather than the Pro Tools bypass button. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "except those that up sample for higher resolution processing". Which are those, and do they compensate correctly?
Hi,

No unfortunately the UAD plugs stop all processing and release their cpu when bypassed by the plugin window, so they stop sending their delay reading to pro tools, so as you say you have to use the power button. the biggest pain for this is the 1176 which has no power button as such just a processing in?(a one way switch that can only be switched on!) then you have to press one of the other 3 buttons to bypass the processing i've brought this up with UAD.

Those that read more than the delay of the buffer setting are the one's that are being up-sampled. if your buffer is at 512 and you insert a uad plug then the standard latency will be 512 except the one's that are being up-sampled and they will read slightly more, probably 540-580. the precision EQ for example? it up-samples and processes the higher frequencies at a higher sample rate for a smoother/sweeter hi-end.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
the biggest pain for this is the 1176 which has no power button as such just a processing in?(a one way switch that can only be switched on!) then you have to press one of the other 3 buttons to bypass the processing i've brought this up with UAD.
Thanks for the message Chris, but actually there is a power button on the 1176 marked "OFF" at the bottom of the meter buttons on the right side! This is additional to the one at the start of the Attack knob, which indeed defeats processing but keeps the gain knobs in circuit, just like the real thing!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 AM

Oh hang on, I see what you mean. Still, I don't see the problem, you can still automate the meter buttons and drag the automation line up to any position from the bottom to switch the plugin in.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Oh hang on, I see what you mean. Still, I don't see the problem, you can still automate the meter buttons and drag the automation line up to any position from the bottom to switch the plugin in.
Hi,

I don't want to start automating just to bypass a plugin to see whether i like what its doing or not, i would just like one on/off button? most if not all the other UAD plugs can be switched in and out by clicking the UAD Logo and the light is on/off accordingly. just the 1176 is one of the first plugs they did and they replicated the original rather than add better digital features, like they do now. also wish they would put a volume out on the precision EQ? this drives me nuts not being able to A/B the processing at the same volume.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,

www.ukmastering.com

Old 09-23-2009, 04:41 AM

Fair comment! But these are very minor issues for me compared to, say, the nightmare of PT8 graphics and bugginess though...!!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Hi, slightly off topic perhaps but does someone know where to find a sample delay chart for the UAD plugs? Tried over at the uaudio.com and the thier forum but no luck. The only thing I found was that upsample chart in the manual p 94.

I am considering to buy the uad2 and trying to do some research.

Thanks