Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Default Other AVB products with S6L

Are other products able to be part of the AVB network with the S6L? I want to use AVB Ethernet out to have multiple tracks out of Ableton, without using inputs on my stage box. I tested plugging in our Ableton MacBook via Ethernet into the B port on the stage 64, and I was able to select out of 64 channels, what to output on. However, when I did that, I lost my protools rig at FOH. So obviously I can't have 2 computers outputting AVB on the network, right? Next question, what if I plugged a MOTU AVB interface into my laptop with USB, and then Ethernet AVB out of the MOTU into the stage rack network jack. Would that work?? Just looking for a way to use AVB instead of eating up stage inputs in the 64 with 14 stems from Ableton. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Other AVB products with S6L

Check out Port D on the console.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 PM

Wouldn't that technically be the same as using port b on the stage rack, because it's a network? I can definitely try it and I will, but because lf it being an AVB network, I would think plugging into any network port would work the same. Worth a shot though!
Old 09-27-2016, 04:28 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholmgren5 View Post
Just looking for a way to use AVB instead of eating up stage inputs in the 64 with 14 stems from Ableton. Thanks!
So far S6L only exposes one public AVB entity for use by ProTools (or whatever else). I.e. one AVB device can connect to S6L.
So far S6L doesn't discover/connect to other device's AVB entities (except for own devices like console or stage boxes).

The same for S3L.

Connectivity with other devices is being considered, and your use cases are welcome.
Old 09-27-2016, 04:35 AM

Hi, i have some experience in connecting AVB devices to the S3L, so far I had no luck in connecting external devices to a stagebox.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Avid

How many inputs were you hoping to use from ableton?

I don't imagine we'll ever allow the B port of the stage rack to be used for a function like this, since that means you're foregoing redundancy to do it (and technically the supported config is full redundant). I personally find redundancy and stability there to be a slightly higher priority, but we're currently creating solutions to exactly the issue you're having.

[email protected]
Old 09-27-2016, 02:41 PM

I want to use 12 outs from Ableton. And redundancy is the reason i didn't want to use the B port on the stage rack, which is why i liked the idea of using D on the control surface. However, what you said about "one entity" got me thinking. I used midi over network ethernet to sync Ableton on stage with Ableton at FOH on my protools rig. Then using AVB from there, I'm using 53-64 on the AVB stream for the outputs in Ableton. Works great because we only average 45 channels right now, so even with virtual sound check, it works well. But I'll definitely be interested if Avid does any other integration with AVB!
Old 10-30-2016, 07:32 PM

Karel,

Hi, can you give me some specific information on what you have achieved with this? We are running a full MOTU AVB system with 32 outputs including all mic pre channels via the MOTU network, I want to know if I can run AVB directly to FOH and stop using the stage box entirely. I have had discussions with Techs at MOTU and Avid and this is untested territory, but it may happen some day soon. If you have had success of any kind I would really appreciate details so I know where others have been successful.

thx
Old 10-31-2016, 07:38 AM

Hi, it is pretty simple, download the riedel Avdecc controller and run it.
In the controller you can see the stream input sections dedicated to the stage 16.
if you unpatch these and instead patch a 16 channel stream from the MOTU there you will have input on those channels.
What you are missing is the gain control from inside the venue software.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk