Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Plugin and setting suggestion for \"Movie Trailer\" VO request

At the risk of coming across as a serious board newbie and asking an often repeated or dumb question...

"Does anyone have a suggestion on the best plug in or combination of plug ins to achieve the classic 'Sandy Thomas' promo sound or movie trailer sound? Specifically the voice-over track. Not so much the sound bites or music. IF it makes a difference to anyone who might want to offer advice, I am using both a Sennheiser MKH 418 P48 shotgun and an AT4060 CM5, each through their own Avalon Vt 737sp Vacuum tube Pre. I have a very common classic VO style. I don't know if it is allowed, but you can get my demo for reference at my website www.thatvoiceguy.com. I, like many, have found through trial and error some decent settings using Waves Gold Bundle, but KNOW there must be a better way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you."
Old 03-20-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Plugin and setting suggestion for \"Movie Trailer\" VO req

Ken,
A big warm welcome to the DUC..
First off, I think your demos sound great !
To me it does seem that you've covered all basics, but my voice recording experience is...quite outdated and old school.
( U87/RE-20/SM7, Orban front end, Urei or DBX compression, analog tape or DAT..)
All this said, in my limited experience with the Waves package isn't so positive. IMHO they are generic, somewhat mushy sounding, and I rather go for hardware. I mostly record music though..
You could give the URS or SSL bundles a try..
Hopefully you'll get responses here from two professional voice talents ( The Weed & Vocalvoodoo ) who are good personal friends, and frequent DUC contributors..

best of luck,
andrew

W7 pro 64_i7 3930K_16GB_ Nuendo 6.5.4-7.1.3 / PT 12.4 ------Mac Mini OSX Lion_PT 10.xx
Allen&Heath GS R-24M_ full rack of vintage analog boxes _UAD2_Nugen_iZotope_Melda_Waves_Plugin Alliance_DMG and more
2.0 and 5.1 monitoring
Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 PM

Thank you Andrew. I do appreciate your thoughts and will definitely demo the URS ans SSL bundles. To my surprise, my mic shootout found both of my current mics complimenting my voice better than even the mighty U87. wasn't expecting it, but relieved given the money I saved. again, thanks!
Old 03-21-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you Andrew. I do appreciate your thoughts and will definitely demo the URS ans SSL bundles. To my surprise, my mic shootout found both of my current mics complimenting my voice better than even the mighty U87. wasn't expecting it, but relieved given the money I saved. again, thanks!
Ken, I'm sure you have tried this and certainly don't want to appear to be insulting here: I am a professional voice actor as well and I use the Sennheiser 416 "close up" when doing dramatic stuff, I'm sure you have tried that? Then, I put a tad of the Bombfactory BF76 compression on it and I have had amazing response. It sounds simple, but getting up on the 416 and speaking softly can really turn out great. So, I would imagine your 418 should work like this as well.

Blessings,

Brian in Charlotte
www.VoiceOverforyou.com
Blogging: www.VoicePro.blogspot.com

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 03-26-2007, 01:43 PM

Thanks Brian. I DO voice up close for the dramatic trailer reads, but seem to be missing a certain texture and low end boom that I should be able to acheive with my voice. I will play around with the BF76 plug and see if I can get something I like. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know if it works out.