Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Unhappy Re: PT 8 Wont recognize COmmand 8

Wow... Such big help. Just follow the instructions. Apparently most of us have followed the instructions and it still doesn't work. PT8 is great except for the fact that I CANNOT use my Command8 with it.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Avid

Default Re: PT 8 Wont recognize COmmand 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue_music View Post
Wow... Such big help. Just follow the instructions. Apparently most of us have followed the instructions and it still doesn't work. PT8 is great except for the fact that I CANNOT use my Command8 with it.
Well, my point is made by the post previous to yours where they DID follow the instructions and got it working.

What we're trying to establish here is that you actually have followed the instructions. You see, some people don't. We don't know that you have until you confirm that, yes indeed, you have configured it properly.

Once we know you've configured it properly, we can move on to further troubleshooting. You see, we can't help if we don't know what state your system is in, your ability level or what you've tried so far.

I see from your other posts in similar threads that maybe you don't understand how troubleshooting works. We need complete, specific information about your system, your settings and what you've tried. Otherwise it's like saying 'my car won't start', but not telling us the model and year of the car, if the battery is properly connected or if you've tried anything else to get it to work.

Make sense?
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Well, my point is made by the post previous to yours where they DID follow the instructions and got it working.

What we're trying to establish here is that you actually have followed the instructions. You see, some people don't. We don't know that you have until you confirm that, yes indeed, you have configured it properly.

Once we know you've configured it properly, we can move on to further troubleshooting. You see, we can't help if we don't know what state your system is in, your ability level or what you've tried so far.

I see from your other posts in similar threads that maybe you don't understand how troubleshooting works. We need complete, specific information about your system, your settings and what you've tried. Otherwise it's like saying 'my car won't start', but not telling us the model and year of the car, if the battery is properly connected or if you've tried anything else to get it to work.

Make sense?
I have my Command8 Connected to my PC Via USB. It shows Offline. I configured it properly in the Setups>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers window but it still shows off line. I keep getting the message telling me that Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Command 8 and to power-cycle it and check connections. I've uninstalled and installed PT8 making sure that the Command 8 box is checked but nothing. Still shows offline. Showing offline I'm able to press play and it plays but for just a moment after that I get a message telling me that Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Command 8 and to power-cycle it and check connections. Is this a PT8 issue.

I have also tried:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=34

You can also get the latest firmware here:

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...36&nStartAt=31

Funny, When I Connect the Command8 to my other PC with PT 7.4 it worked like a charm. I guess I will track in PT8 and then Mix in PT7.4.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 AM

I have a C8 with PT8 and Mac OS 10.5, all is great. When you did the upgade were you prompted to do the C8 firmware update also? I was, it took a while but no issues with it. I have had that annoying "can't communicate..." message before to, usually just a quick reset on the C8 or reseting the periphial settings worked it out for me.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks Digitech for your help, all is fine here
Old 06-16-2010, 05:47 PM

I also have the Command 8 with a Windows XP, Mbox2 mini running PT8. Usually when I encounter the "offline" message, I restart the PC in this order: Command 8 - PC - then launch PT8 last. Usually solves most of my issues.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM

hi there,

i've got the same problem with my brand new c8

im running PT8.4 (latest update) on a i7 imac with Mac Osx 10.6 and a digi 003+

i did the installation several times like its scripted in the users guide but still no reply of the c8. ive got too these mesages from pro tools that i need to re cycle it.

the funniest thing is that i can see it in the peripherals and i can see in pro tools that the first 8 faders of my mix are controlled by the c8, and the transports works for a few moments. but the c8 says "offline". also i cant see the c8 in he ams of my os but the the usb connection light is on, an the midi lights too.

i cant even run the firmware upgrade cause the installation dmg says that there is no c8 connected to the computer.

what should i doo?

thanks

Last edited by fex85; 08-03-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue_music View Post
I have my Command8 Connected to my PC Via USB. It shows Offline. I configured it properly in the Setups>Peripherals>MIDI Controllers window but it still shows off line. I keep getting the message telling me that Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Command 8 and to power-cycle it and check connections. I've uninstalled and installed PT8 making sure that the Command 8 box is checked but nothing. Still shows offline. Showing offline I'm able to press play and it plays but for just a moment after that I get a message telling me that Pro Tools is unable to communicate with Command 8 and to power-cycle it and check connections. Is this a PT8 issue.

I have also tried:

You can also get the latest firmware here:

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...36&nStartAt=31

Funny, When I Connect the Command8 to my other PC with PT 7.4 it worked like a charm. I guess I will track in PT8 and then Mix in PT7.4.
Does the Command|8 show up properly in Device Manager properly?

Unfortunately the links you have in your post don't lead me anywhere, so I'm not sure what you've tried. Have you tried different USB ports? If it's working properly with the other PC it would seem to be a computer specific problem, though something may be going wrong with Pro Tools that could cause this - we can't rule that out until we get more info. Can you give us more detail about how everything is connected and let us know what you've tried?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fex85 View Post
hi there,

i've got the same problem with my brand new c8

im running PT8.4 (latest update) on a i7 imac with Mac Osx 10.6 and a digi 003+

i did the installation several times like its scripted in the users guide but still no reply of the c8. ive got too these mesages from pro tools that i need to re cycle it.

the funniest thing is that i can see it in the peripherals and i can see in pro tools that the first 8 faders of my mix are controlled by the c8, and the transports works for a few moments. but the c8 says "offline". also i cant see the c8 in he ams of my os but the the usb connection light is on, an the midi lights too.

i cant even run the firmware upgrade cause the installation dmg says that there is no c8 connected to the computer.

what should i doo?

thanks
Can you tell us exactly how you have it configured in Peripherals? Do you have any other USB devices attached? Have you tried any of the General Troubleshooting steps (trashing prefs, optimizations, etc)? Did you try a different USB cable or USB port? Trashing MIDI prefs per the info in the General Troubleshooting thread (it's in a reply) may also help.

The more detail you can provide the easier it will be to troubleshoot.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey01 View Post
Thanks Digitech for your help, all is fine here
Glad to hear it! And thank you for the appreciation.