Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Re: which monitors are best???

Check out those cheap Adam A7's. It's their low end product but remarkably good.

Don't bite my head off everyone. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on Adam A7 or A5. OR the digi branded monitors which are PMC I think
To me Adam sounds like a trumpet. The most mid ranged monitor I have ever heard. I wouldn't wanna mix on those. Genelecs are great - and very honest. Make it sound good on them and it will sound good anywhere. DynAudio are very Hi-Fi-like sounding. And sound absolutely beautiful. But - IMO it is too easy making a mix sound good on them because those speakers just dont know how to sound bad. And that is why they wont translate as well on other Home Speakers after the master is done.

Always bet on a speaker that wont lure you into thinking that your mix is great if it isn't
Old 12-26-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
To me Adam sounds like a trumpet. The most mid ranged monitor I have ever heard. I wouldn't wanna mix on those. Genelecs are great - and very honest. Make it sound good on them and it will sound good anywhere. DynAudio are very Hi-Fi-like sounding. And sound absolutely beautiful. But - IMO it is too easy making a mix sound good on them because those speakers just dont know how to sound bad. And that is why they wont translate as well on other Home Speakers after the master is done.

Always bet on a speaker that wont lure you into thinking that your mix is great if it isn't
Heh, interesting. Working with Adams (S2A) has been great for me. I didn't like the Genelecs when I demoed them in my studio. Maybe because my control room can get a little boomy.
To the OP, as you can see, everyone has different opinions on subjects like these. The best thing you can do is find a friendly dealer that will let you demo different monitors in your own environment and then decide for yourself.

25ghosts, what monitors do you use? You do some hip-hop right? The one genre the S2As aren't great at is hip-hop (and certain types of modern R&B).
I'm guessing you use Genelec?
I really want to try Barefoots next year if possible.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:40 AM

Very subjective! Bring a cd you know very well and test a bunch. I love dynaudios..i have genelecs(for surround),b&ws,tannoy sys 12 dmts and jbls also but the ones i trust the most are my bm15s.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 AM

Yeah, monitoring is as subjective as reverb and eqs. Yeah, I do hip hop. I use two pairs of Genelecs. 1x 1030 nearfield and 1x 1038 flush mounted.

I agree - the best way to get monitors is to try them in the location where you're going to be using them. Most dealers, will let you test them "on site" and if they wont - then you need to find a different dealership
Old 12-26-2008, 06:48 AM

i compared and chose
Adam A2.5s
Yamaha MSP7 & SW10 sub

whatever you choose, it's all about learning your monitor by listening to other stuff by your favorite producer and "knowing" what music should sound like on that particular monitor.

if you set up 10 sets of speakers in your room which are all supposedly "technically perfect" ...why do they sound so different? it'll make you crazy. so just get something decent and learn by doing and dont worry

i have also found that great headphones are a good tool to have because what you hear is not affected by head position. i get fidgity sitting in the sweet spot all day.

some speakers are made to sound "good" because they have more top and bottom added to make them sparkle in the retail store. stay away from these.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

I have the same experience but other way around... I'm talking about relatively big monitor tough.. every time I'm in a room with big Genelecs (mostly 1038b's here) just throwing faders up everything sounds good, lots of sparkle and kaboom. When I get to my place and turn on my Dynaudios (M3P's) I hear how much work there is to be done. Friend of mine has Quested main monitors and to be honest they sounded very very flat and inspiring. All this is about mid-main monitors, don't know about nearfields as I don't use them much, just ns10's to doublecheck sometimes for couple of seconds.