Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Q from mackie user about channel layout

I only own a transport, but after 24 hours with it I know that I'll be replacing my 32ch mackie system with an Avid system by the fall. 64bit nuendo eucon support is on it's way and the idea of being able to have the same buttons do the same things in both nuendo and protools basically translates to doubling my income.. so I'm in.

Here's my Q

If I have 3 mixes with transport and Control in the center. Will the 4 faders on the Control always be in order from left to right by default? Like ...

(mix1 1-8) (mix2 9-16) TRANS (control 17-20) (mix3 21-28)

I think it would be awesome if the Mixes banked the same way I'm used to with mackie, but the Controls faders were always free to assign independently.
Like...
(mix1 1-8) (mix2 9-16) TRANS (control ####) (mix3 17-24)

Could I do that?
Forgive me, I've never really played with it
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Location: Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Observable Universe
Default Re: Q from mackie user about channel layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse p View Post
I only own a transport, but after 24 hours with it I know that I'll be replacing my 32ch mackie system with an Avid system by the fall. 64bit nuendo eucon support is on it's way and the idea of being able to have the same buttons do the same things in both nuendo and protools basically translates to doubling my income.. so I'm in.

Here's my Q

If I have 3 mixes with transport and Control in the center. Will the 4 faders on the Control always be in order from left to right by default? Like ...

(mix1 1-8) (mix2 9-16) TRANS (control 17-20) (mix3 21-28)

I think it would be awesome if the Mixes banked the same way I'm used to with mackie, but the Controls faders were always free to assign independently.
Like...
(mix1 1-8) (mix2 9-16) TRANS (control ####) (mix3 17-24)

Could I do that?
Forgive me, I've never really played with it
You can reorder then as you wish in the Eucon software. Else they will be ordered according to the order in which you powered the units (you can reorder them after, takes a few secs). In the studio I worked in they always pressed the power buttons from left to right so they never noticed the order changed if you powered them in disorder (which of course is the first thing I did when I came in...).

When my setup at home will be complete I plan on having only 2 mix and a transport in the middle (I don't think I need more).
Old 07-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Go to Eu Control Settings (above)/Surfaces

...and unclick "Artist Control banks independently" and you have four more faders following the rest of the lot.

Set them up just as you are used to or would like them... Myself I use memory location a lot in Pro Tools and set them up on Transport keypad 7=Intro, 8=vers 1, 9=ref1 and so on... Then you make a copy of your settings to a USB memory stick and can take them with you to all other Artist Transport you work on - that's the kind of flexibility I like. I run them Control+Transport+3 mix - but again, that's just me... (I've also kept my Digi002 and that gives me 8 more faders to bank independently, so right now i spred my sessions over 36 faders and I like that...)

So setting them up to be the sam in PT and Nuendo (and perhaps even Logic), is a smart idea!
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 07-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Is it possible to set up commands that modify the transport via the control?

Specifically, I'd like to change the MC Transports wheel functions for triming head/tail etc from the touch screen on the MC control.

Currently, I have tried it on the soft keys, play buttons, numpad.. works great but it's an awkward reach with one hand especially when shift is involved.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to make a smart decision here instead of my usual impulse buys ha.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Thank answer is no.. you can not modify the transport's wheel function via softkeys or touch screen on the control
Old 07-28-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse p View Post
Thank answer is no.. you can not modify the transport's wheel function via softkeys or touch screen on the control
Actually, when I want to adjust locator points in logic, I tap the buttons on the MC control and it does affect the transport. Not for all functions, but some.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:07 AM

Ohhh actually you can do this!! awesome