Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-04-2009, 07:20 PM

Default Pt8 sampletank and osx 10.5.6 help!!!

i just bought a macbook pro and i am new to using mac not pt or sampletank

when i first started with protools and sampletank i was using a pc back in 03
so all my instruments have been installed on a ntfs formatted fire wire drive
when i hook the drive up the mac reads everything just fine i can even watch some video files from it
my problem is when i went to ik multimedias site to download and install the mac installer for sampletank 2.5.2 it installed just fine but i can not get sampletank to read the sounds off of the fire wire drive
i go to prefs button in sampletank show it the path and it actually searches the drive but does not list any sounds

i figured that i could keep all my sounds on that ntfs drive and be able to go back and forth from pc to mac and have all my samples in one location
should sampletank be able to read the files or is it because the file was created in a ntfs world and the sampletank engine is in the mac world that it will not work
you would think it will work seeing how the mac can read the ntfs drive with no problems
what can i do to get this to work i would hate to have to have two external drives with the same stuff on it and i really do not want to limit myself to the limitation of fat 32 and its 4 gig file format is there a way to share
Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Pt8 sampletank and osx 10.5.6 help!!!

i found a solution to my own problem

the problem was obvious that the sampletank application in the osx world could not use the sound files that were on the ntfs formatted drive
so i did some searching around and found this program called ntfs for mac osx it is a driver utility that you install and it allows osx to use the ntfs drive after i installed it i am now able to use all of my sounds with sampletank in both osx and xp without having to change the way i have it on the fire wire drive big plus

you can also use this utility so that you can use the ntfs drive to create new folders read and write info and files that allows you to open up the door to share files between osx and windows
the software is made by a company called paragon and it is 39 bucks

but this will save me alot of headache of reformatting a drive and then having to reload my 270 gigs of bfd and sampletank stuff and all my loops

i hope this helps anyone that has experienced the same problem i have or anyone in the future
Old 02-15-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Pt8 sampletank and osx 10.5.6 help!!!

There seems to be a freeware version of NTFS for Mac by Lisa Sacchini...
(edit) which I tried out and it seems to have corrupted my NTFS formatted firewire drive.
I went to paragon and installed their 10 day trial. Now the volume mounts fine, but there are some weird issues with files disappearing. Disk utility is attempting to repair now.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had experiences with Lisa Sacchini's app?
I guess it's my own fault for trying to do something for free on a mac.

(url removed)

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia

Last edited by Ang1970; 02-17-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: update on crappy utility
Old 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM

Exclamation Re: Pt8 sampletank and osx 10.5.6 help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang1970 View Post
There seems to be a freeware version of NTFS for Mac by Lisa Sacchini...
(edit) which I tried out and it seems to have corrupted my NTFS formatted firewire drive.
I went to paragon and installed their 10 day trial. Now the volume mounts fine, but there are some weird issues with files disappearing. Disk utility is attempting to repair now.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has had experiences with Lisa Sacchini's app?
I guess it's my own fault for trying to do something for free on a mac.

(url removed)
I'm Lisa Sacchini's Son. I made NTFS Mac, but used my mom's Apple id to make an ADC account, so her name shows up on the downloads page. I'm making my account, but i've got to wait until I'm 16. NTFS mac needs to be turned on! you can do so by turning on MacFUSE in System Preferences. Sorry for any data lost (I'm not responsible for any data loss)