Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: OT: Apple Announces Switch to Intel Chips

Apple has a instruction translator called Rosetta that is supposed to make all the code written for PPC work on x86.

In 2 years macs will have Intel x86 chips.

Apple today acknowledged that all core OSX code has always been available and developed in parallel to the PPC code... so the OS is ready just not all the apps without the rosetta translator. Although the rosetta is supposed to work flawlessly.

You guys need to look at slashdot and stuff. Sheesh.

WHo cares what digi does.... it already runs on pc better.

-Justin
Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Think of it: the most advanced chips running the best OS in the best looking boxes.

But, that's already available. Dual AMD64 based computers running XP.

Oops, i forgot im on the windows board, not the Mac board. I wouldnt expect you to begin to understand the awesomeness of OS-X, as opposed to your little XP boxes.

(kidding btw, im not an arrogant Windows bashing Mac [bleep], i own 2 windows computers in additon to my Macintosh)

I am greatly looking foward to what will come out of this partnership.

go left next time
Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Apple has a instruction translator called Rosetta that is supposed to make all the code written for PPC work on x86.
perhaps, but remember the 9 to X conversion? digi was sloooooowwww to make it. they hardly can keep up with minor updates
like 10.3.9 or Tiger. Just think how long this will take. I could be wrong. I agree with those who think digi migth be getting a tad tired of how much work apple is making them do....

but who cares. I think i'd be happier with my "old" powerbook 1Ghz running my "old" 002r once i'm legacy and everyone else is upgrading and upgrdading. so much better just to make music and forget about the computer world.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:09 PM

By 8trackmac
Quote:
they hardly can keep up with minor updates like 10.3.9 or Tiger.
Hello. I don't know if you intended to imply that Tiger was a minor update, because as anyone knows, it is definitely not just a minor update. 10.3.8 to 10.3.9 maybe, but not 10.3.x to Tiger.

I don't know all the details yet on how Apple intends to handle the OS switch, and more importantly how developers will be able to handle the rewriting that is necessary. So we will see how much of a pain it will be. McDSP and DUY are very small companies and they are in there with people like Digidesign and MOTU. They all have to rewrite their code or modify it.

Looking into the future though, I can see now that the possibility of Apple selling the OS to run on any computer is closer and closer to reality. Because once this change is made, the wonderful marketing geniuses at Apple have to figure out a way to sell people a computer for $2500 that will only be different from a $700 computer because of the OS. So are people really going to pay $1800 or more markup for the OS? Maybe. In the long run I doubt it.

I see an Apple that operates differently in the future. Concentrating on selling software and mass market hardware like the iPod. They may still sell Mac's but that won't be their main thrust. They will sell the OS, Final Cut, iTunes Music Store and iPods. If a die hard wants to buy a Mac for $3000, they would do it. But if they shifted that approach, they could shed a lot of weight from their overhead and possibly be much more profitable.

Who knows how this will turn out eventually. But we are now at a point when the absolute only difference between a Mac and a PC will be the OS.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:46 PM

There's no way you'll be able to run a DAW using a translator.. the biggest isues are the byte order is reversed on Intel vs. Motorola systems.. and the low level file system is different. Digi, having a working XP build will actually put them ahead of everyone else.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Quote:
There's no way you'll be able to run a DAW using a translator.. the biggest isues are the byte order is reversed on Intel vs. Motorola systems.. and the low level file system is different. Digi, having a working XP build will actually put them ahead of everyone else.

Rail
Hi Rail,
Ya, what you said heeh. They will have to rewrite code AGAIN for mac I agree. I feel a shift in the OS winds? No?

By the way, good to see you are still poping in. I have been here a while and alot of the old school have gone elsewhere? Gets a little hostile sometimes I guess?

www.kineticrecordingstudios.com
Old 06-07-2005, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Apple today acknowledged that all core OSX code has always been available and developed in parallel to the PPC code
they have been devoloping x86 Darwin from day 1, the OS transition will be fairly simple for them.
OS's are designed with the micro kernel model for the reason needing the least amount of software to be re written under different hardware. look at any version of unix or even windows
Old 06-07-2005, 07:39 AM

old pencil, new pencil?
in the long run were all gonna just write music right?
I use PTLE between my G4 933 and my Dell 670.
Sure one kicks the crap out of the other, but at least I have that choice
I dont about you guys but its going to be a few years before any of this hits the fan.
I dont even know what the hell Im doing next week-end :P