Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools slow to respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmusic View Post
The other user I tried was basically new. No one had ever used it. I just trashed databases as well. No luck. I really think it has something to do with drawing the edit window. When the session finally opens, the waveforms look a little odd. Black outlines and sort of lo res looking. Playback is fine but with an initial lag between hitting the spacebar and when it actually starts.
I may not matter if anybody has logged into the account. Other things can matter like what software has potentially been installed on the system since the other account was created. It takes less time to test that that and be 100% sure than debate it here.

The other graphics problems may point to driver problems (you might try to update OS X), but there has been problems in the past as well where changing graphics resolutions in OS X and putting them back again can fix some things (I think before starting Pro Tools, I can't really recall, but you might try it with Pro Tools open as well).

Again make sure you have followed the exact instructions for deleting prefs and database, its easy to miss things.

If that does not work I would rollback to a last working backup or go for a clean install of OS X and fresh install of Pro Tools.

Darryl
Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Yeah, I'm just not sure what to do now. I'm stuck at OS X 10.5.6 cause I'm on a powerPC. Stuck at PT 8.0.1(cs2). There are no session files that will work so there is no backup to rollback to. This problem occurs with any session I open or new one I create.
I just opened an older version of Logic and it works fine. God this sucks.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just not sure what to do now. I'm stuck at OS X 10.5.6 cause I'm on a powerPC. Stuck at PT 8.0.1(cs2). There are no session files that will work so there is no backup to rollback to. This problem occurs with any session I open or new one I create.
I just opened an older version of Logic and it works fine. God this sucks.
No by backup I meant roll back the entire machine to the previous last working image backup. If you don't have one then do a clean install of OS X. (and get a copy of Carbon Copy Cloner for future use, make a clone each time before doing anything on your system.).

Darryl
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM

Ah, I see. I guess I'll have to do the clean install. You think it's possible that an OSX problem could be affecting only PT and nothing else? Everything else works fine.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 PM

might be time to rebuild your rig
I've had various system files corrupt on a system over the years
fresh OS install
fresh PT install

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Ah, I see. I guess I'll have to do the clean install. You think it's possible that an OSX problem could be affecting only PT and nothing else? Everything else works fine.
Absolutely. Assuming you have done all the other debug tests, reinstalls properly then things point at the OS.

There were some nasty slow waveform rendering/recalc bugs fixed around 7.x/8.0 timeframes but i can't find details of them in quick searches. But as you say 8.0.1cs2 is your last and only real choice. You did put back cs2 when you reinstalled right?

Darryl
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM

Yup, I put cs2 back. Which of course meant I had to go back to 8.0, then 8.0.1, then cs2.
Tomorrow morning I'm going to try to boot from an alt drive and see if that changes anything. I think I did do a startup clone a while back.
Thanks for your input y'all. I'll keep you posted. Need to get some shut eye.
Best,
dave
Old 12-30-2012, 03:30 PM

Well, here's the latest. Cloned my drive. Clean installed OSX. Reinstalled PT 8. No Change. It's got to be a hardware issue. Could it be my 961/o? DSP Accel card?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM

how much dust has built up in your tower?
I've had systems slow down when the CPU can't offload it's heat

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
how much dust has built up in your tower?
I've had systems slow down when the CPU can't offload it's heat
Probably lots. I guess I could try to clean it.