Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-29-2010, 01:25 AM

Default Re: MAJOR delay compensation problem! Very strange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm-01 View Post
......drum recording.....

Example:

12 mono Aux tracks each with an EQ (such as REQ 6)
Drums come in the aux inputs and then ouputs of aux tracks are going to inputs on mono AUDIO tracks so that I can print the EQ to the audio track. I do it this way because I don't have enough outboard EQs.

Just to play the devil's advocate.... why on earth would you record your plugin EQs to your drum audio - in this day and age of RTAS horsepower?

I mean - simply RTAS EQ your drums * after * they are recorded... so you can make changes in the mix. You gain * nothing * sonically by printing your plugins.... and you are locked in to the EQ.

If it was great sounding hardware EQ that only existed at the tracking studio - I can see it.... but printing plugin EQ? I don't get it.

peace.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
This is totally just a shot in the dark... but in the IO setup window, the "Compensate for Output Delays after record pass" and/or "Compensate for input delays after record pass" might be nuding the audio files AFTER you record in order to compensate for delays present in the mixer when you have ADC turned on while tracking... That could be why it goes back in phase when ADC is turned off and goes out again when ADC is turned on (because you are delaying the signal twice with ADC on, if it really did nudge the audio after record pass).

Could it be that one of those inadvertantly got checked or unchecked?
the compensate for input / output delay function only affects the audio once, at the time the audio file is actually printed.

to the o.p.: you say your snare sounds "out of phase". out of phase with what?

are you mixing and matching different interfaces [with different conversion times], while tracking and / or mixing?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM

Have you recently upgraded any plug-ins, particularly one that may be inserted on the snare track?
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 AM

I made the mistake AGAIN of not looking at the average date-of-post for most of the thread, not realizing it was an older post that was just bumped.

Anyway, does anyone have any idea if this 'random' bug is still in PT 8.0.3cs...-the latest of v8- and in PT 7.4cs10 -the latest v7- ? Ya know, the ADC compensating incorrectly, until you toggle it on and off a few times, or have disabled tracks with plugs on em...)

I have been hearing some weird phase-y things that seem to come and go on basically the same mix. Its a VERY large mix with many plugs, and many tracks that have plugs on em, but are hidden and deactivated.

I ask cuz I haven't done a mix of this size for about 3 months (where my HD3 is at its max max limit - constant DSP re-shuffling, crafty ways of voice assignments, and mix/matching TDM/RTAS, etc). And I feel like its causing ADC to act funny. The same mix sounds different without ANY changes during the same day - simply just opening it up, playing it, moving on to another session, and then going back to it again.

Its a PITA cuz I feel like I cant TRUST ADC for this mix all of a sudden. Its one thing to know of a specific, repeatable bug and stay away from it, but when I print the FINAL mixes, Im worried that particular playback might be wonky, but maybe too subtle for me to catch it until AFTER the fact, and AFTER its sent to mastering.

Ugh, ADC, when will you NOT be the cause of why I don't sleep well at night after I submit a mix on (the usual) tight deadline.... Whennnnn! Wahhh! You're making me whine like my 8 yr old nephew!
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•
Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 PM

No it's still not fixed. And likely will never be fixed. Apparently audio quality isn't at the top of Avid's priority list, nor does it "qualify for a cs update" according to DigiTechSupport.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank1000 View Post
No it's still not fixed. And likely will never be fixed. Apparently audio quality isn't at the top of Avid's priority list, nor does it "qualify for a cs update" according to DigiTechSupport.
Well, I don't think its whether it qualifies or not for a cs update - I think its just a pretty massive problem to fix on the whole, as ADC is very complex in complex sessions with lots of routing.
Contrary to what a lot of people think, I believe (gotta believe!!) that Digi ::ahem:: Avid, IS working heavily on this bug and not taking it lightly or ignoring it.
Yes, its been way too long IMO, but just saying that when dealing with PT itself, plus all the 3rd party developer coding, and probably having to do a MAJOR overhaul to the core-code without f'ing up other stuff is not easy, and they won't release a half-assed fix since we all know how it goes when they release half-assed updates that haven't been fully tested.

Since ADC bugs have been around since its inception, its def a virus infecting so many versions of PT 7 and 8. But I much rather have SOMETHING handling ADC (since PT 7) than nothing. Remember how bad it was when you had to do it MANUALLY?! Now THAT was a PITA and lord knows how many times I screwed up nudging tracks or forgetting I did.

Anywayyy. Lets just hope Im right and they are hard at work on a fix.

Which they promptly wont offer to my v7.4 rig ANYWAY! ha. But the week I hear people raving about PT 8.x that is all stable and fixed and working harmoniously, is when Ill upgrade to it anyhow.

MT
Old 04-20-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
...they promptly wont offer to my v7.4 rig ANYWAY! ha. But the week I hear people raving about PT 8.x that is all stable and fixed and working harmoniously, is when Ill upgrade to it anyhow.

MT
i'm witcha

but

i think i'd give it just a bit more than a week....stuff happens.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiojimi View Post
i'm witcha

but

i think i'd give it just a bit more than a week....stuff happens.
Yeah, maybe the week where the 20 page thread about Why I hate or love PT 8.x ends up with a good 4 to 5 pages of thumbs up.

Actually Im waiting for muhis1 (starter of this thread) to be jumping up and down with joy. THATS when I upgrade. :)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt.Everest View Post
Well, I don't think its whether it qualifies or not for a cs update - I think its just a pretty massive problem to fix on the whole, as ADC is very complex in complex sessions with lots of routing.
Contrary to what a lot of people think, I believe (gotta believe!!) that Digi ::ahem:: Avid, IS working heavily on this bug and not taking it lightly or ignoring it.
Yes, its been way too long IMO, but just saying that when dealing with PT itself, plus all the 3rd party developer coding, and probably having to do a MAJOR overhaul to the core-code without f'ing up other stuff is not easy, and they won't release a half-assed fix since we all know how it goes when they release half-assed updates that haven't been fully tested.

Since ADC bugs have been around since its inception, its def a virus infecting so many versions of PT 7 and 8. But I much rather have SOMETHING handling ADC (since PT 7) than nothing. Remember how bad it was when you had to do it MANUALLY?! Now THAT was a PITA and lord knows how many times I screwed up nudging tracks or forgetting I did.

Anywayyy. Lets just hope Im right and they are hard at work on a fix.

Which they promptly wont offer to my v7.4 rig ANYWAY! ha. But the week I hear people raving about PT 8.x that is all stable and fixed and working harmoniously, is when Ill upgrade to it anyhow.

MT
In regards to whether it's being worked on... all I can say is I hope you're right... but I'm cautiously reserved.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM

please please please fix this.