Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Problems with recording Skips, gets Choppy after playback

Everytime I record with Protools Se even with low buffer settings set too "recording and performing"
Sample rate 41 kHz Bit Rate 16-Bit...the play back skips and sounds choppy, I save what I recorded. I exit out protools to play the tracks back again then its fine.
Then when I record and play back again it gets choppy. Sometimes it just get choppy as soon I play what I worked on. It doesnt infer with how I record it, just doesnt play back good at times and I have to restart the program till it plays properly YES it does get choppy sometimes when I try to export it too. So, I have to REALLY make sure it doesnt get choppy when I finalize what I worked on. I cant figure out why it does it. Sometimes the program crashes all together.
I dont know if its my processor or hard drive.
Here is my specs of my laptop i am using.

Toshiba M400
Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 CPU Centrino Processor
T5600 @1.83GHZ
I have 120 GB hard drive, and 1 tb external Hard drive
Reading at 3.24 GB of Ram (Technically it has 4 GB chip)
Windows xp Service pack 3

for some stupid (corporate reason) my G5 powermac doesnt read protools Se cause some corporate A holes made the software NOT compatible with that processor! Maybe I should thank Pro tools and Mac for that. Their both in BED with each other anyways. (Nothing is wrong with that computer either, I should NOT have to Modify the G5 to run simple program. Waste of time and money all together.)
If my powermac could run protools i wouldnt have this complication, I dont think. I got my powermac when it used to cost 1200-2200 I got it for $800 on ebay like 3 yrs ago. I decided to sit on that computer just in case I may need to use it. Turns out I cant even do that.

Anyways, is my laptop outdated for this software? If so, what kinda laptop would work good with Protools Se. (NO I will not buy upgraded pro tools unless its free. cause, of technical issues i'm having with the previous version.) I really dont want to go out and buy Digital Performer either, I am already used to Protools Se and it came with microphone that works really well.

Only thing I can do at this point sell my laptop and get one that would actually work with pro tool se without it skipping. (Anyone can recommend a decent windows laptop...dont say mac book pro, I cant afford it. Plus my pro tools would probably not run with intel software by the time I actually do get one, that's how those corporate A holes work. <----sarcasm)

Any helpful response would be good...I am not techy just trying to record some music.
I want very simple solution without anymore aggravation. I like my G5 i'm NOT selling it. (In defense of powermac G5 if it can run video software and can do a lot of special effect designing and work with music at the same time, without even FREEZING ONCE! There is NO REASON for it NOT to work with pro tools se...There should be patch to be made for it, now that someone is complaining. I understand windows sucks for music but, it shouldn't suck this bad.)

*If its choppy when I finalize the song...it comes out choppy. So, I have to make sure the program is working 100% with the song before I finalize it...Waste of time when I add chorus or more additional vocals...when it plays back it gets choppy...i have to save it then restart the program again its such a waste of time restarting every time...it makes me less creative with adding more effects cause, at this point i just want to get the song over with and recorded.*

Thank you for your time!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Problems with recording Skips, gets Choppy after playback

I had similar problems (thought not exactly the same) when i set
set pro tools se to "run as administrator" in the Properties tab in the
Shortcut....as was recommended in this post
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...411?popup=true
After changing this setting it now runs fine.

Hope this helps!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Cool Re: Problems with recording Skips, gets Choppy after playback

Unfortunately, your system does sound underpowered. My machine is beefier than yours and I was having performance issues, too. So yes, buy a new laptop. Go ahead and get a PC, mine's working fine with Pro Tools SE and it's a couple years old. Expect to spend around $500. In the mean time, some of the short term things you can try are to stop any non-essential services. Check the system tray (lower right corner) and close any apps that aren't critical -- Office, Drop Box, Google or Yahoo components, iTunes, printer icons, etc. And believe it or not, disable your antivirus. That's a big one. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but AV apps suck a lot of resources from your system. Disable your Internet connection, too. On my laptop, it's as easy as sliding a switch. This will also protect you from nasty stuff coming over while your antivirus is disabled. Make sure you're not running any apps besides Pro Tools SE -- close your Internet browser, for instance. I did all this and my performance is hiccup free.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Thanks man...
Old 08-14-2012, 01:27 PM

I'm running an i7 quad core with 8 processes, 16gb of ram and 2 ssd's in Raid 0 at 1GBps. I get choppy video almost everytime I playback. This does not affect my audio at all, just my video. Sometimes it will play a few seconds of video and then skip around, never catch up, or flat out stop. Sometimes it will play the video in about 4x starting at a different point (Minutes ahead of where I'm sampling) and catch up, sometimes freeze, sometimes not. I'm also running my work files off of 2 wd 2tb in raid0 at 250MBps sustained read.

Considering our computers are able to play full 1080p video, browse the web and other things all at the same time, I think I shouldn't be having an issue playing a 960x540 video.

Sponge I'm going to have to disagree on every point you made.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuProtools View Post
Everytime I record with Protools Se even with low buffer settings set too "recording and performing"
Sample rate 41 kHz Bit Rate 16-Bit...the play back skips and sounds choppy, I save what I recorded. I exit out protools to play the tracks back again then its fine.
Then when I record and play back again it gets choppy. Sometimes it just get choppy as soon I play what I worked on. It doesnt infer with how I record it, just doesnt play back good at times and I have to restart the program till it plays properly YES it does get choppy sometimes when I try to export it too. So, I have to REALLY make sure it doesnt get choppy when I finalize what I worked on. I cant figure out why it does it. Sometimes the program crashes all together.
I dont know if its my processor or hard drive.
Here is my specs of my laptop i am using.

Toshiba M400
Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 CPU Centrino Processor
T5600 @1.83GHZ
I have 120 GB hard drive, and 1 tb external Hard drive
Reading at 3.24 GB of Ram (Technically it has 4 GB chip)
Windows xp Service pack 3

for some stupid (corporate reason) my G5 powermac doesnt read protools Se cause some corporate A holes made the software NOT compatible with that processor! Maybe I should thank Pro tools and Mac for that. Their both in BED with each other anyways. (Nothing is wrong with that computer either, I should NOT have to Modify the G5 to run simple program. Waste of time and money all together.)
If my powermac could run protools i wouldnt have this complication, I dont think. I got my powermac when it used to cost 1200-2200 I got it for $800 on ebay like 3 yrs ago. I decided to sit on that computer just in case I may need to use it. Turns out I cant even do that.

Anyways, is my laptop outdated for this software? If so, what kinda laptop would work good with Protools Se. (NO I will not buy upgraded pro tools unless its free. cause, of technical issues i'm having with the previous version.) I really dont want to go out and buy Digital Performer either, I am already used to Protools Se and it came with microphone that works really well.

Only thing I can do at this point sell my laptop and get one that would actually work with pro tool se without it skipping. (Anyone can recommend a decent windows laptop...dont say mac book pro, I cant afford it. Plus my pro tools would probably not run with intel software by the time I actually do get one, that's how those corporate A holes work. <----sarcasm)

Any helpful response would be good...I am not techy just trying to record some music.
I want very simple solution without anymore aggravation. I like my G5 i'm NOT selling it. (In defense of powermac G5 if it can run video software and can do a lot of special effect designing and work with music at the same time, without even FREEZING ONCE! There is NO REASON for it NOT to work with pro tools se...There should be patch to be made for it, now that someone is complaining. I understand windows sucks for music but, it shouldn't suck this bad.)

*If its choppy when I finalize the song...it comes out choppy. So, I have to make sure the program is working 100% with the song before I finalize it...Waste of time when I add chorus or more additional vocals...when it plays back it gets choppy...i have to save it then restart the program again its such a waste of time restarting every time...it makes me less creative with adding more effects cause, at this point i just want to get the song over with and recorded.*

Thank you for your time!

Are you using firewire? I don't see what recording interface you're using, and this makes a HUGE difference. I use firewire with a 512 buffer and audio is spotless. I did have problems, even on my system, before I made it bigger.