Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM

Default How many Pro Tools 10 users in 2019?

How many of you guys are still using Pro Tools 10?
What are your reasons?
Do you feel the old technology is holding you back in any way? (like not being able to use new waves plugins, or that its 32bit and not 64bit, etc...)

I currently use Pro Tools 12 and my ProControl with Neyrincks V-Control Pro but am thinking about going back to PT10 so I can have full functionality of the ProControl again. I'm not really liking it in its crippled state with the V-Control software.

Thank you in advance for all input
Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Default Re: How many Pro Tools 10 users in 2019?

I’m still on 10HD with a TDM system. It’s rock solid and does what I need it to do. Can’t see any reason to up grade yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 07-20-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneSetter View Post
How many of you guys are still using Pro Tools 10?
What are your reasons?
Do you feel the old technology is holding you back in any way? (like not being able to use new waves plugins, or that its 32bit and not 64bit, etc...)

I currently use Pro Tools 12 and my ProControl with Neyrincks V-Control Pro but am thinking about going back to PT10 so I can have full functionality of the ProControl again. I'm not really liking it in its crippled state with the V-Control software.

Thank you in advance for all input
You'll definitely be taking a step backwards going from PT12 to PT10. Functionality for one. If you really need a useful control surface you should look into something current.

Of more importance is you don't give any computer specs. Mac or PC? What operating system? etc. Also keep in mind that a lot of developers don't support 32 bit anymore so if you don't have your old installers then you are sol.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 08-03-2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: removed partial sentence
Old 07-20-2019, 02:20 PM

I have a partition with PT10 that I haven't used in years. Every time I need to open an old session with a plugin that wasn't ported to AAX (at least last time I checked which was a long time ago) I simply use something different or start over in Blue Cat Patchwork. Now having said that, every old session I open is mine so I can change what I want and nobody's work is going to be affected. I can't live without track freeze, commit (no matter how bad they work) and especially the plugin and I/O search box.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:01 AM

I'm still on PT 10 and I'm probably going to upgrade to 2019. Still running the numbers to justify the expense. My system is currently HD3 with a 2009 mac pro flashed to 2010 on OS 10.9.5. I use it with a 24 fader D-command.

I was on PT8 until about a year ago. It was more staple than PT10. I made the jump to get a some of the new features (clip gain, disk cache, AAX 32 bit plugins). So some improvements but also some headaches. So now I'm looking to make another jump to have more stability and some of the other new features (freeze, commit, fast bounce, 64bit,....). I'm using more Native plugins these days and the power that the HD cards bring to the table is becoming less relevant in my workflow.

All that being said I rely heavily on my D-command, and if I was loosing functionality with it I probably wouldn't even be thinking about upgrading Pro Tools. I haven't been on a pro-control in ages so I don't know how that compares to a D-Command. But with the current used prices for D-command maybe you should consider buying a D-command.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:21 AM

I loved 10 and it worked very nicely, but once I hit 11 and experienced the power increase of 64 bit PT, there was no looking back. I do have 10 installed on my current setup, but have not opened it in a year or more(not to mention off-line bounce, track commit, track presets.................)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2019, 10:06 PM

Make a very nice living using PT10 cuz i love drag and drop Structure....and it hasnt crashed in literally years. my computer is fixed at 10.8.3 and will never change, until they absolutlee bring proper folders in the bin and design it properly like they had 20 years ago...
Old 08-27-2019, 06:14 PM

I still use PT10 on my 2012 MBP..

I'm in the process of getting a new 27" IMac with Logic Pro. I just returned a brand new 27" IMac as I could not get PT 2019.6 to work.. After mnay Tech Support calls Apple thought there may be a defect in the Computer & was curteous & very helpful to the poing of offering a new Repalcement Computer. Apple bent over backwards to help me.. As did Pre Sonus Tech Support who went above & beyond trying to figure out wht PT201.6 wouldn't work after assisting me making sure all was right with my 16.4.2 Interface..

I'm seriously thinking of not using PT on my new IMac & instead use Logic Pro. Apple Tech Support is much easier to deal with than this Forum & the Outsourced Foreign PT Tech Support.. I cna't hear or understand what those Guys are saying half the time.

I'll continue to use PT10 on my MBP which works fine & does what I want it to do... Until I'm pretty well versed in Logic..
Old 08-27-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I loved 10 and it worked very nicely, but once I hit 11 and experienced the power increase of 64 bit PT, there was no looking back. I do have 10 installed on my current setup, but have not opened it in a year or more(not to mention off-line bounce, track commit, track presets.................)
PT10 was good for it's time but like you once PT 11 dropped with it's vastly increased power and now PT2019.6 with even more increased power I can't see going back. I don't even have a partition on this cheesegrater that will run PT 10 correctly. As long as I can open my old PT10 sessions in 2019.6 I'll be happy.

Of course there's the odd few plugins that screw things up but opening those sessions in safe mode or importing the session data into a new session takes care of that.

I understand that there are people who still run PT10 and more power to them if it suits their needs. And that's what it's all about in the end right?

QAPLA!
Old 08-28-2019, 04:21 PM

Just FYI: I have PT 10 installed on an Intel i7 with 16 GB running Win7 (no updates, ever). It works fantastically - never crashes and solid as a rock. I have a custom built computer with all the recommended hardware for PT. I got it with an 11-Rack which is also really fine (but they disabled the separate plugin GUI, which is just weird.

There is a real drawback in finding RTAS plugins these days. All but impossible, I tend to rely on what I already have; SampleTank, Melodyne, AD Drums,

I have Kontakt and some other things that came with my Triple Play guitar midi pickup - but I can't locate them right now (I think they were all downloads and I am not sure where they went).

IF ANYONE KNOWS OF A GOOD REPOSITORY FOR RTAS DOWNLOADS - ESPECIALLY SAMPLERS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.