Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Re: To \"Big Ben\" or not to \"Big Ben\"?

Hi Donny,

Thanks for the input. To answer your questions.. yes, the "slave" light was lit up on both the 888/24 and the 1622. Also, I did the test with recorded (audio) tracks. I actually never used the MIDI tracks on Pro Tools. My MIDI tracks are programed with an MPC3000. Anyway, I only use the 1622 when I compose and program. Eventually, I bypass the 1622 entirely to record. You see, I have all my synths going to a patchbay, and then out of the patchbay into the 1622. So when it's time to record to audio, I use the patchbay to bypass the 1622 entirely, then go into a pair of Brent Averill Neve mic pres, and then directly into the 888/24. And yet, I still hardly heard any difference. Certainly nothing "dramatic"... but then again, it could be the source material... it could be that I didn't record enough tracks to hear the "separation" that you were mentioning. I only did a very simple test with a couple of very basic tracks (drums, key bass, Roland piano... and 2 live acoustic gtrs). Probably not enough audio there to notice and separation. And yet I was still hoping for a noticeably tighter, more defined, deeper (in the bass) and more transparent (in the highs) sound... but I didn't hear it. Strange.

As of now, I think I'm better off returning the BB and getting a Rosetta 800 96k (with the x mix plus card). And maybe down the road, when I can afford it, I'll get the Big Ben once again to enhance the Rosetta.

Hope I'm making the right decision.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:18 AM

Sounds like you're making the right decision. I'm curious to hear what you think of the Rosetta 800 when you get it so it would be great if you could post your findings with that as well. Thanks!

-Donny
Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 AM

192 io's only reclocks if you specify them to. On the hardware menu in PT you can select/ deselect the chanels to reclock the incoming source. So no 192 aren't locked to there own internal clock. And by the way my HD rig sounds better using the clock on my rosseta 800 the internall clock, very minor but better.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 AM

Ok Donny. I'll try to remember to post my results soon. (haven't gotten the Rosetta yet). If that doesn't impress me... I just might go back to using my 4-track cassette Tascam Porta-studio and be done with that... lol (which I still own, believe it or not).
Old 04-06-2005, 10:52 PM

Before I purchased the HD 2 Accel system, I was running a d8b, Motu 192, 2408 and a couple other devices with a clock in capability. I bought the Big Ben, cause it really did improve the overall sound dramatically "for the above system". BB is very useful when you're applying it on more than one device. If you plan on purchasing BB to clock the 192, and only the 192, you may be unhappy with the results.

I asked Dan Lavry the same question today, and unless you have multiple units which need clocking, there's no point in using it solely to clock the 192. For the best performance, the best setup is using the internal clock for AD conversion. Much more was added in his reply to me, but I don't think Dan would appreciate my quoting him without his consent.

I have both the BB and Lavry 4496 (M-AD-824). Both units have been tested with the 192, and I could not tell the difference. I'm using the 4496 in connection with the Masterlink, but the Big Ben in all its glory, is sitting in the rack, not being used.

It was very useful in connection with the d8b, etc..., but the 192 is holding its own.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Before I purchased the HD 2 Accel system, I was running a d8b, Motu 192, 2408 and a couple other devices with a clock in capability. I bought the Big Ben, cause it really did improve the overall sound dramatically "for the above system". BB is very useful when you're applying it on more than one device. If you plan on purchasing BB to clock the 192, and only the 192, you may be unhappy with the results.

I asked Dan Lavry the same question today, and unless you have multiple units which need clocking, there's no point in using it solely to clock the 192. For the best performance, the best setup is using the internal clock for AD conversion. Much more was added in his reply to me, but I don't think Dan would appreciate my quoting him without his consent.

I have both the BB and Lavry 4496 (M-AD-824). Both units have been tested with the 192, and I could not tell the difference. I'm using the 4496 in connection with the Masterlink, but the Big Ben in all its glory, is sitting in the rack, not being used.

It was very useful in connection with the d8b, etc..., but the 192 is holding its own.
I think there are too many really heavy hitters here in LA using Big Ben to discount it based on the experience of a few here. Everyone I know in the film industry swears by it, Every major studio has it. All the mastering guys have it. Its like Big Ben has become standard equipment in almost every Pro Tools room in town. I have heard it on a single 192 many times. It really makes a big difference.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:12 AM

When I A/Bed the 192 and BB, it was difficult to tell, which was which. If you use the 192's internal clock, and there's no need to clock anything else, the results are extremely close. Although on the other hand, I was told that if you have to clock more than one 192, there's no second guessing, BB comes out on top.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 AM

How is the Big Ben compared to SYNC? Would there be any benefit to Big Ben over the Digidesign SYNC box? The SYNC rack is more expensive, but I know that doesn’t necessarily mean it is better. Anyone do a side-by-side test and find any differences? I currently have a SYNC but I am wondering if the Big Ben might cure some of my click and pop issues with female voice overs in particular. Everything is in sync, and I have checked all my digital cables and no problems appear to be there. i've tried different mic/pre amp configs, etc.. Like today for example, I recorded a VO for a technical piece and I had to go in and pencil out slight digital spikes that look like shark fins on words I would least expect – like “more” or similar soft consonants. I would understand with “p” and “t” words, but it almost seems like mouth noises get accentuated or amplified in some way once recorded. The clicks are very apparent when zoomed in on – a nice smooth waveform with a shark fin spike. Very rarely do I get this with male VO’s, most all of the females I work with. Could my SYNC master clock be an issue that maybe Big Ben might correct? all i have is the SYNC and a 192 for my HD rig that I post video with. i know it is said that with a single 192 it will make little difference, if any, but i can't help but wonder in my case...

Pro Tools Ultimate, Mac Mini 3.2 i7, Mtrx Studio & Omni, 4x S1’s & Dock w/ iPad Air 2