How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2016, 06:36 PM

Default Recording

Hi

I have found out that i cant record anything with a line input but for example a mic i can record and play it back to listen. I cant do this with guitar or electric drums. I am getting sound on pro tools 10 but when i enable recording it does pick anything up on the recording.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Recording

Could you give LESS info? What interface? Does it have a Mic/Line or Mic/DI switch? Are you recording to an AUDIO track?(trying to record an instrument, like guitar, bass, keyboards to an INSTRUMENT track is a common newbie goof).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-25-2016, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearEcho View Post
Hi

I have found out that i cant record anything with a line input but for example a mic i can record and play it back to listen. I cant do this with guitar or electric drums. I am getting sound on pro tools 10 but when i enable recording it does pick anything up on the recording.

Thanks
Well I think the only really useful bit of info here is you are in New Zealand (I'm working up problem explanations that involve sheep).

If you are just getting started you need to go find a text book/some tutorials/YouTube videos etc. Random walking around trying to work stuff out takes forever, is a waste of your time and you will end up super frustrated with not much to show for it. And DUC is not a place for giving beginner tutorials.

You need to provide a *lot* more info, what exact interface, what mic, line in, drum box etc. connected exactly where using exactly what cable/connectors. etc. What exact electric guitar, what pickups, you using DI input? micing a guitar amp cab? using a guitar amp simulator plugin?

When you say "does no pick anything up" is that you don't hear anything or nothing is recorded? Is a 'flat line' of quiet audio recorded? is the track recored armed? Does the track meter move while recording? Are you recording to an instrument or audio track? (if instrument smack yourself on the head. No again, really hard).

Before replying read the "help us help you" link up top of every DUC web page and get a feel there for the level of detail expected in posts on DUC.