Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 PM

Default Tape Emulation - Using Tape Delay to shape tone

So I tried turning the delay time, feedback all the way down, and mix all the way up, just to see what it sounds like. While theres no way to get around the 10ms minimum delay time (resulting in 10ms latency), the tone can be really cool. Playing with the Rec level and head parameters yields an interesting type of distortion, IMO, that plays very well in a post-amp position.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried the Tape Delay in this way. It works way better for reamping (and shifting the track back 10ms), then you dont have to deal with the latency in real time.

I think having the 'tape' section of the Tape Delay could be really useful in its own block, or a module within an FX block (not in the Dist though, its gotta be stereo!) Or better yet, if we could choose between a few different types of tape - a la Digi Reel Tape - with the Echoplex as an option!

Give this a try, and tet me know if you guys think its a stupid idea! I'll be posting it to ideascale in a moment...
Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Tape Emulation - Using Tape Delay to shape tone

In a world where analog is becoming more and more of a commodity this is very useful. I did the same experiment and rather like the saturation the tape delay is capable of. About 10 years ago I did a 4 track album and recently came upon my tapes, I have no 4 track so I started searching for one on evil bay, they are rather spend but i landed myself a tascam 424 mkii for 10 bucks because it won't power on, my buddy is keen on fixing it for me and tascam said they would be willing to service it as well, analog here I come!
Schecter C1 Elite, Schecter C1 E/A, Epiphone Les paul Custom Silverburst, Fender Mexi Strat, Ibanez RG, Damage Control Demonizer, Boss Gt10, Eleven Rack, Carvin TS100 Stereo Tube Power Amp, 2 Fender Roc Pro 1000 Cabs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83Ghz.
OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
Foxconn G45M-S LGA 775 Motherboard
Antec Three Hundred Case
Windows 7 Home Premium
Pro Tools LE 8, Cubase 5.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:03 PM

It's a cool thing to have a tape saturation effect like that, but for me it doesn't seem to work live, the guitar tone loses some clarity and can get a bit lost in the mix, but for recording it would work better.

However I use various plugins in protools for tape/console saturation, so I don't have any real need for a built in tape saturation in the eleven rack.

There are some other cool "hidden" features in the Eleven Rack. For example:

The BBD delay: Put it in front of the amp, turn up the mix to max, delay time and mod all the way down and use the input level of the delay as an overdrive.

It can get really dirty, just like a real Memory Man.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegum View Post
It's a cool thing to have a tape saturation effect like that, but for me it doesn't seem to work live, the guitar tone loses some clarity and can get a bit lost in the mix, but for recording it would work better.

However I use various plugins in protools for tape/console saturation, so I don't have any real need for a built in tape saturation in the eleven rack.
Using plugins for saturation is great, but you can't take it with you!

I found that my method of using Tape Delay can yield good results, without significant high end loss, depending on the level going into the Tape Delay, the Rec level, and head parameters. The darker settings are also a cool vehicle for cranking the high end in the Amp block.

I think a block with these or similar parameters could work great, and even better if it were in the same (or a similar format) as the Digi Reel Tape plugin. Just give us the Echoplex as an option!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:14 PM

Someone, OCD? make a Echoplex preamp simulater pedal. Aparently a lot of folks like what plugging into a later solid state Echoplex preamp does for their sound. I had a solid state Echoplex at one time and hated it! Lol. Later on I got lucky and lucked into a couple of the older green box Tube EP2's. Huge differance. I'm not sure that they boost the tone any but they certainly dont take anything away.

FWIW if you want the vintage Echoplex sound you need to turn the Hiss function on.

The idea of being able to turn the plug on with 0 delay and use it as a tape saturation plugin is fantastic idea.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derker View Post
Using plugins for saturation is great, but you can't take it with you!

I found that my method of using Tape Delay can yield good results, without significant high end loss, depending on the level going into the Tape Delay, the Rec level, and head parameters. The darker settings are also a cool vehicle for cranking the high end in the Amp block.

I think a block with these or similar parameters could work great, and even better if it were in the same (or a similar format) as the Digi Reel Tape plugin. Just give us the Echoplex as an option!
I agree totally, whatever works for you is great. For me however I find tape saturation works in the studio, but not not so well live.

Of course it depends on the style of music you play, but for me I have enough saturation from the amp. I do put the new compressor after the cab, but I'm still undecided whether or not this works better for me than without. Great studio tool though for sure.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Someone, OCD? make a Echoplex preamp simulater pedal.
Actually, there are 2 out there...

I have one of the ClinchFX EP-PRE pedals. It's a very subtle effect, but it does add a touch of mojo to your sound...
http://www.clinchfx.com/ep-pre

And there is also the Xotic Effects EP Booster pedal...
http://www.xotic.us/effects/ep_booster/

But here is a pedal that I am dying to try out, the Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo pedal...
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

Old 04-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefont View Post
Actually, there are 2 out there...

I have one of the ClinchFX EP-PRE pedals. It's a very subtle effect, but it does add a touch of mojo to your sound...
http://www.clinchfx.com/ep-pre

And there is also the Xotic Effects EP Booster pedal...
http://www.xotic.us/effects/ep_booster/

But here is a pedal that I am dying to try out, the Strymon El Capistan dTape Echo pedal...
http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

It was the Xotic that I saw on YouTube while looking for more info on the White Boost.

Its funny my black EP4 just went Bonka-Bonka-Bonka- It was way to clinical sounding. Not Pagey at all. In contrast the earlier tube units where lush and smooth sounding and plugging into one was instant "Since I've been loving you" to my ears. I'm a bit suprised they were modaling the later units. One mans dirt is another mans gold.

At any rate I think being able to use the tape emulation in 11R without any delay would be pretty neat.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
At any rate I think being able to use the tape emulation in 11R without any delay would be pretty neat.
Agreed!

Wonder how the Avid dudes feel about it...
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Avid

Sounds like a good idea to me. Just add it to Ideascale, so we can better judge how much interest there is.