Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2003, 05:42 AM

Default Electronic drums

Hello all, I'm having a heck of a time getting a drummer over to record tracks with me so I have to look into alternate options. I used to have an old Roland drum machine and would set up drums on that. Is there a computer program out there that would simulate a drum machine and will run under protools? the ability to seperate tracks would be a super bonus!!! I honestly don't anything about such software, or even if it exists, so any and all help would be appreciated
Thanks
Duffs
Old 11-08-2003, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Electronic drums

upgrade to 6.1, get reason and use redrum. or get acid and play with those loops.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:05 AM

Battery Studio Drums kicks ass also, and you could load the samples in Reason, or get Kontakt.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:11 AM

I take it no matter what I'm going to need 6.1?
I'm currnetly running 5.1 on 001 winMe
Old 11-08-2003, 09:41 AM

There is a way to run Reason under pre-rewire PTLE and it can be found on Da BaSsTaRdZ Lair but I think the far easier way is to upgrade to version 6.1. I use both the NN-XT sampler and ReDrum from Reason to make my Midi drum tracks and it sounds pretty good to me.

I tried to buy the DR008 from Fxpansion a while back but it took forever for them to release it and when they did, from posts I have seen here and on the Fxpansion website, apparently it was virtually unusable because of bugs. I managed to get my money back on that deal before I ever got the program.

I am interested in seeing how the Battery for RTAS program does once it is released. I think it is due for release this month. I think the DR008 was modeled after this program with some additions. At least is seems to use a similar GUI with cells for each sound. I like the way it looks like it should work so we will see.

I hope some of this rambling helps.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:42 AM

Another point....don't forget to budget for WinXP if you do decide to go for the upgrade.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:49 PM

OK thanks for the web link that seems fairly straight forward.
I'm not too familiar with reason. does it have a good drum machine??
Old 11-08-2003, 01:05 PM

Ya know I find myself using the NN-XT sampler more than the actual drum machine. I have used the RedDrum rum machine a few times and it is quite easy to use. The ReDrum has 10 channels you can use, each with it's own sound. There are two channels that are sort of connected with a gate so that you can use an open and closed high-hat sound and have the open sound gated when you activate the closed sound for a more realistic sounding kit. The NN-XT is a bit more complicated but you can have more sounds available at once than with the ReDrum and you can import many sample formats into it. Reason also has a pretty good reverb and other sound modifying plugs that make the sound more real.

I am actually a drummer (living in an apartment has made it neccesary to find a quiter way of recording drums) and I have been able to program some pretty realistic drum parts using nothing but Reason into PTLE.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I have used the RedDrum rum machine
Sounds like you've been hittin the bottle Where can I purchase a RedDrum rum machine?
Old 11-08-2003, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have used the RedDrum rum machine
Sounds like you've been hittin the bottle Where can I purchase a RedDrum rum machine?

It does sound that way, doesn't it?

I guess I just had a large brain fart.