Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Using OMF files to edit soundtrack for short film

My name is Steve and I'm mixing a soundtrack for a short film I've just finished shooting. I'm trying to transfer the final FCP QuickTime into Pro Tools in a way that would keep each audio track from FCP in it's own audio track in PT. I know I have to use an OMF file, but every time I try to open the file in PT, it says it can't detect my video engine. I'm new to this style of file transfer so if anyone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks
Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Using OMF files to edit soundtrack for short film

You need to strip out the video from the OMF when you make it in FCP. Duplicate the sequence and remove all video, then OMF that sequence.

separately, you need to export a single quicktime video file that you can open in ProTools as a guide picture.
Old 05-09-2010, 03:10 PM

What is the exact wording of the error message?

Video tracks in an omf file are not well supported by Pro Tools. Do not use video tracks, use only audio tracks in your omf. If you've already exported frm FCP with both video and audio tracks, choose only the audio tracks for import. This should give you your audio.

For picture, import a flattened movie file as a separate step. In Pro Tools do this from the File Menu: Import: Video. Render your movie out from FCP to a standard QT file, not as an omf. Many people are using ProRes or DVCPro in Pro Tools. Many others say they have good luck with H.264, but only if you've got an 8 core mac.

Before any export, it is very smart to place (in FCP) a "2 pop" in both audio and video so that you can be absolutely certain they are sync'd together in Pro Tools.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM

This shouldn't even be an issue, as FCP only exports audio to OMF and not picture, unless you're using the Automatic Duck add-on?

Can you give any more info? I've never had the issues you're describing.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 AM

I've just had a thought.

Steve, what command in the menus are you using to import your OMF? and, what Pro Tools are you using? Are you aware you need HD with Digitranslator, or if in LE you need DV Toolkit or Complete Production Toolkit?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssaada1 View Post
My name is Steve and I'm mixing a soundtrack for a short film I've just finished shooting. I'm trying to transfer the final FCP QuickTime into Pro Tools in a way that would keep each audio track from FCP in it's own audio track in PT. I know I have to use an OMF file, but every time I try to open the file in PT, it says it can't detect my video engine. I'm new to this style of file transfer so if anyone could give me some advice, I'd appreciate it a lot!

Thanks
I'm assuming you have Digitranslator, If the OMF file came from FCP , the video file can't be opened or imported due to file incompatibility. PT is looking for the codec that has been used to export it. As Postman said just use the audio tracks on the omf file. You must request for a QT file of the video which PT can work on , much better if they could burn in a TC display on it and the "2 pop" is a must as well HTH
Less is More