Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2009, 08:53 AM

Default Optimal playback instruments/soft synths in PT 8

OK! Working in pro tools 8 LE, and I would love to see how other programmers/composers are setting up their playback engine settings, specifically to stream samples.

My setup

DIGI 002 (apogee rosetta 200 external clock)
MAC PRO 8-core 2.8mhz
8 gb ram
PT 8
samples on external hard drive via FW800
complete toolkit

I have found the LEAST interruptions and optimal playback buffer with the following setup:

H/W buffer size: 256 Samples
RTAS Processors: 6 processors
CPU Usage limit: 99%

DAE playback buffer: Level 4
Cache Size: Large
Plug-in stream buffer: Optimize for streaming content on audio drives

I've got a lot of things loaded: Stylus (6 tracks), trilogy (1 track), Hybrid (1 track), Sampletank 2.x (3 tracks), quicktime video in session

I am still getting some crashes and errors, such as:

1) Audio stops playing when loading new samples in stylus, and then pt crashes a few seconds later

2) The option+select and drag midi note does not work consistently (this seems to be a bug in pt 8, regardless of playback engine settings)

3) Got an error "playback engine missed a deadline" before a crash. That's funny! I look forward to using that one myself with my clients

QUESTION FOR DIGI OR OTHER USERS:

1) Would more ram (more than 8 ghz) solve any of these problems?
2) Should my DAE settings be altered?
3) Would I see less problems if samples were streaming from a SCSI drive?

I'd love to hear what other users are doing.

Happy New Year,

Joachim
Old 03-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Optimal playback instruments/soft synths in PT 8

Id like to know the answer to this also!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Avid

Do you have any other plug-ins in the session and, if so, which ones?

Can you post a plug-in version list using the Tech Support Folder/Utility, so we can see what you have installed? All installed plug-ins can have an effect on the system, even if they're not being used in the session.

When you say 'Stylus', I'm assuming you're talking about Stylus RMX, yes?

I do know that Sampletank is a bit problematic and I would be curious if your performance improves once you remove it. However, I'd like to see your installed plug-in version list first.

Quote:
2) The option+select and drag midi note does not work consistently (this seems to be a bug in pt 8, regardless of playback engine settings)
Can you be more specific about what you're seeing, how you're editing, etc? Do you possibly have real-time properties enabled?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorsley View Post

I too have seen this. I have a new mac pro keyboard (which is totally different from my g4 keyboard) so im not sure if im letting go of the option key too soon, but it seems if i let go too soon the note will be erased instead being copied (which is why im pressing the option key) or just moved (which is what i'd expect if i let go of the option key too soon)

Does the software have the ability to define a range of "accuracy" with modifier keys?

i think thats what you mean, right?
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhorsley View Post
OK! Working in pro tools 8 LE, and I would love to see how other programmers/composers are setting up their playback engine settings, specifically to stream samples.

My setup

DIGI 002 (apogee rosetta 200 external clock)
MAC PRO 8-core 2.8mhz
8 gb ram
PT 8
samples on external hard drive via FW800
complete toolkit

I have found the LEAST interruptions and optimal playback buffer with the following setup:

H/W buffer size: 256 Samples
RTAS Processors: 6 processors
CPU Usage limit: 99%

DAE playback buffer: Level 4
Cache Size: Large
Plug-in stream buffer: Optimize for streaming content on audio drives

I've got a lot of things loaded: Stylus (6 tracks), trilogy (1 track), Hybrid (1 track), Sampletank 2.x (3 tracks), quicktime video in session

I am still getting some crashes and errors, such as:

1) Audio stops playing when loading new samples in stylus, and then pt crashes a few seconds later

3) Got an error "playback engine missed a deadline" before a crash. That's funny! I look forward to using that one myself with my clients

QUESTION FOR DIGI OR OTHER USERS:

I'd love to hear what other users are doing.

Happy New Year,

Joachim

bump

Would really love to see some answers to this......
Old 03-19-2009, 04:08 PM

hope i am not interrupting your thread, but can the earlier digi support comment below be clarified?

"Can you post a plug-in version list using the Tech Support Folder/Utility, so we can see what you have installed? All installed plug-ins can have an effect on the system, even if they're not being used in the session."

1. what is meant by Tech Support Folder/Utility - where is this folder/how to access it please?
2. the second sentence is interesting - i have a lot of plug-ins on my computer which i dont use - is this saying that even if they are not instantiated in the session and not being used, that they can have some draw on pro tools? If so, how to identify which plugins have this effect?

I am on Power Mac G5 Dual 2.3 with 8.5GB RAM, using PT 8, with Stylus RMX latest. Have tried using just one instrument track with only RMX installed and then played with several combinations of playback engine settigns but RMX wont run for more than a minute or two before it stalls. Dont know if this is my Mac specs or something to do with the points tech support mentioned., so would be interested to hear clarification. Cheers.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Avid

Quote:
Trilogy is not compatible with Intel Mac and very likely could be the cause of a lot of your issues. Sampletank has a few issues as well - you might want to try removing it from your plug-ins folder, trashing prefs and testing again.

Quote:
1. what is meant by Tech Support Folder/Utility - where is this folder/how to access it please?
Links can be found in the General Troubleshooting thread.

Quote:
2. the second sentence is interesting - i have a lot of plug-ins on my computer which i dont use - is this saying that even if they are not instantiated in the session and not being used, that they can have some draw on pro tools? If so, how to identify which plugins have this effect?
Yes, they can. Identifying them? Start with the Pro Tools Plug-In Compatibility Grid and make sure you have the minimum version required. Some plug-ins on that list may still need to have you drop the number of processors in the playback engine to get good performance (such as most IK plug-ins, Omnisphere, etc.).

Quote:
Can you be more specific?

Quote:
More RAM would unlikely help at all.
DAE Settings look ok - Level 2 on the DAE Playback Buffer is usually where you'd want it set unless there's a good reason to do otherwise.
No, streaming from SCSI is unlikely to improve anything.