Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-29-2019, 06:42 PM

Default Presonus Quantum 2 + Monitoring Latency - Solution here?

Aside from having this specific issue to work through, I imagine that I am not the only Presonus Quantum 2 user here, so figured it made sense to have this thread as a place to clear up the mess of monitoring whilst tracking with this interface w PT12. Hopefully, anyway… the PQ2 has nothing in its manual / at the website which deals w this that I can find so far... …and yes, I have opened a suppt ticket with Presonus and am awaiting their response. It’s been 4 days and counting…

Current System:

iMac 2017 with SSD + 12GB RAM
PT12.8
Mac Os X Sierra
Presonus Quantum 2 (Thunderbolt)
Thunderbolt connected external HD

For the purposes of this thread, please presume these are sessions with no plugins.

Settings when I was using my 003R:
Playback engine: 003R
Buffer: 1024 samples
Cache: 24GB cache:

With 003R, I experienced no discernible recording (monitoring) latency after I *unchecked* "Ignore Errors" and "Minimise Additional I/O Latency".

Hence I have not posted specs on exactly how much latency I am getting etc. My question is *how do I replicate my monitoring-whilst-recording capability* as it existed with my old 003R, when there was *no* discernible latency (presumably because I was monitoring using the 003’s hardware? – leading to the next question – surely a brand new, more advanced product such as the Quantum does not have *less* capability than the 003?)

Obviously settings have changed since transitioning to the Quantum. Playback engine = Quantum. Cache is the same. Latest Presonus drivers and firmware have been installed.

However, the record monitoring latency is through the roof with that buffer setting (1024). If I have LLM switched on, I can’t hear my input signal at all (although infuriatingly, I can see the meters working). If I have LLM switched off, I get that massive lag. ]Again, this is even in a session running *zero plugins*.

So for now the only way I can monitor*and* track with some competency whilst I am tracking is to change the buffer to 32. There’s still a lag but it is less noticeable. It is *still* noticeable though, and certainly a problem compared with the – and I emphasise this - OLD - 003R. Lag aside, surely, this is not how it has to be forever with the Presonus? Having to manually switch that buffer setting to and from 32 to 1024 depending on whether you are recording or mixing?

That I could monitor with no probs using an older, slower (ie firewire!) interface running at the highest buffer setting, indicates that I must have been monitoring using the 003’s hardware, bypassing… er… something. Sorry, I’m not 100% sure on that part. All I know is that monitoring felt live and direct, whereas now it feels totally counter to the recording process.

Having a buffer of 32 I have observed does lead to memory related stops during tracking if I have a lot of tracks happening behind the record track. My iMac is 2017 and has never, ever presented probs even in my most massive, plugin loaded sessions.

Given that the 003R is ancient, and the Quantum is obviously a current interface with a much faster connection (Thunderbolt) to my machine, I am logically presuming that I should have *at least* the same functionality and flexibility in recording + monitoring as I had with a firewire interface from 2012. Surely.

Therefore, logically, I must be missing something.

*What* am I missing…?

Thanks for reading! PS If I have missed some important spec, visual representation, technical info of some kind... please just let me know what you need to know and I'll post it here... I've tried to cover everything...
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Presonus Quantum 2 + Monitoring Latency - Solution here?

2 things have me wondering:

Buffer: 1024 samples I think this is the problem. I always track at a 64 buffer setting(going all the way back to 002, 003 and on my current HDN rig). Assuming no plugins, then there's no ADC required, BUT, do set MIX window to show Delay Compensation so you can see if PT is doing anything odd. On my rig, if I have a send on any track that goes nowhere, SOME tracks will get over 1900 samples of ADC that doesn't belong(turning Delay Compensation OFF will solve it, as will deleting the send(or make it inactive). The only way the 003 would have little to no latency with a 1024 buffer would be to enable LLM(Low Latency Monitoring). I'm not positive, but I believe that feature(near the bottom of the OPTIONS menu) only works with Avid/DIGI hardware.

Cache: 24GB cache:How much RAM do you have? 24GB of cache is way huge. Now you might want a large cache if you are working on a large project(tons of tracks and/or hours of audio), but 4GB is plenty for a typical pop/rock/country song I just re-read and you show 12GB of RAM in the iMac, so 24GB should not be an available amount

You might also check in with Presonus Tech support

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the comment!

Re: "Buffer: 1024 samples[COLOR=Blue] I think this is the problem."

I'm confused... I did explain in my post that under my previous settings with the 003, using buffer 1024, I had absolutely, 100%, never, ever, EVER, any problems with zero latency monitoring through that rig.

Therefore buffer settings are not the root cause of my probs with the PQ2.
Also, I did say that using my PQ2 I have tried to eliminate monitoring lag using a buffer setting of 32 (ie the lowest setting possible). So I'm not sure what you mean... unless you missed those bits or maybe I am misreading something?

Thus, I am asking how I replicate the same monitoring ease with my new rig.

Re: "Cache: 24GB cache:[COLOR=blue]How much RAM do you have? 24GB of cache is way huge. "

That may be the case, but if it wasn't a problem with my 003R which ran via firewire and in everyway is an outdated rig compared with the PQ2, then why would it be a problem with the PQ2? It doesn't explain anything, based on that reasoning... I may be too rigid in my thinking but again the 003=OLD and SLOWER. Surely if that thing could cope, the new rig should be able to...

Re: "You might also check in with Presonus Tech support"

Ok, so at the risk of sounding snarky, and I promise I am speaking in my calm voice: I don't think you read my post. I stated in the *first paragraph* "…and yes, I have opened a suppt ticket with Presonus and am awaiting their response. It’s been 4 days and counting… "

I do appreciate that you read my long post and are trying to help though!
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 02-01-2019, 06:50 PM

Bump... statistically there should be at least one other PT12 / Quantum user here... somewhere...
Monterey 12.6.1
Old 02-02-2019, 04:48 AM

Does the Quantum have what's called 'monitoring through hardware'? It's where you can set up the interface to burp your incoming audio through it's onboard h/w and out to your audio monitors? It'd be like using the onboard mixer s/w in a UAD dsp box (I think it's called 'console') or Cuemix in certain MOTU interfaces.

QAPLA!
Old 02-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7 View Post
Bump... statistically there should be at least one other PT12 / Quantum user here... somewhere...
Yeah, I'm a Quantum 2 user. But I don't have a solution for you.
I got the Quantum because I wanted to be able to track at low buffer settings so I could track guitar or bass through Amplitube IV. My MBox 3 Mini couldn't go below 256 samples, so I figured the Quantum, which Presonus claims is the fastest interface on the planet, would be able to run at 64 or even 32 samples.

Not in PT 12 it can't! 256 is the lowest buffer I can run reliably, and it doesn't matter what interface I use.

My solution was to do my tracking in Studio One since I can reliably run at 16 samples all day long, and never break a sweat! Problem with that was I had to pay for the Pro version in order to be able to run VST plugins.

There is no hardware monitoring on the Quantum series. You can ONLY monitor through your DAW and any latency that incurs.

Your options? 1) Run the lowest buffer you can. If you can get it down to 64 samples, that should be tolerable. 2) Run an external mixer, and monitory your input signal and PT output through the mixer.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 PM

The only way you experienced no(very little) latency with the 003 at a 1024 buffer would be to use LLM(Low Latency Monitoring). LLM allows for no-latency recording, but makes sends and plugins inactive on the recording track. Some find that a perfectly usable solution, I don't(I need the sends to feed headphone mixes). I think the latest PT update(2018.10?) allows LLM with sends In any case, as I said earlier, modern computers are usually powerful enough that you can track at a low buffer(64 is fine at 44.1 and 48K. 128 is good at higher sample rates)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-02-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The only way you experienced no(very little) latency with the 003 at a 1024 buffer would be to use LLM(Low Latency Monitoring). LLM allows for no-latency recording, but makes sends and plugins inactive on the recording track.
This is possibly exactly what I want to use, then.

Does anyone know why LLM is not working with PT 12 + Quantum?
Monterey 12.6.1

Last edited by tj7; 02-02-2019 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikDraw View Post
There is no hardware monitoring on the Quantum series. You can ONLY monitor through your DAW and any latency that incurs.

Your options? 1) Run the lowest buffer you can. If you can get it down to 64 samples, that should be tolerable. 2) Run an external mixer, and monitory your input signal and PT output through the mixer.
Gosh. This is a bit of a shock... I guess silly me for presuming this interface would do at least what a 003 does... (unless there is a LLM solution, see my previous comment).

Buying yet more gear* or having to track with a separate effing application, eff around with bouncing that down and then importing into a PT session... just too impractical *unless a cheap option found.
Monterey 12.6.1

Last edited by tj7; 02-02-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM

LLM + PT 12+ Quantum question aside (surely there's at least a fix for this?)

At this thread below I have noted that some folks have found cheap mixers just to monitor directly with:

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopi...dd0de8eca6e2ae

So it might not be cost prohibitive. My question on that is - how would you hook up this gear purely to monitor with no latency and control the level of your backing track, without compromising the other functionality of the Quantum? ie would you need to take up valuable line input real estate? (ie I am using all 8 of mine, it's perfectly set up for my purposes... I don't want to lose any of those).... I also don't want to double up on preamps as I am using my own...

That may be a dumb question but honestly it's obviously pretty dumb that a) the Quantum doesn't have hardware monitoring, sh__ itself when using LLM and I guess I was dumb for presuming it would have at least the functioning of a firewire interface from 2010... heh!
Monterey 12.6.1