Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Question about Sleep Mode Support

alright so long as its not a danger for the computer.

Also, do you find that you commonly see coreaudiod not responding in activity monitor? When i see this i usually just quit the process (which restarts automatically) but then a few minutes later its not responding again.

Oh and also from my original post, should I check the box that says put the hard drive to sleep when possible?

And I can put the display to sleep right?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 AM

Digi recommends that neither the HD or display should be put to sleep. A good place to start your optimizations and troubleshooting is the sticky above (link reproduced below).

General troubleshooting

If, after working through this you're still having issues, post back with a full system spec.

Help us help you

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 06-04-2008, 07:29 AM

I did this all. No crashes yet, but i do see the coreaudiod once again isn't responding (i don't think it ever was since startup). It hasnt had an affect yet but is it something to be concerned with?
Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I did this all. No crashes yet, but i do see the coreaudiod once again isn't responding (i don't think it ever was since startup). It hasnt had an affect yet but is it something to be concerned with?
I'd say it's only an issue if you can't get sound (through Digi hardware) from an audio capable application. Might be worth looking at Digi CoreAudio Manager (Applications/Digidesign/Digi CoreAudio Manager) Launch the application, click on Prefs and make sure 'Auto quit Manager when last client quits' is checked. Just to make sure no other audio application is keeping hold of CoreAudio.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 06-04-2008, 08:07 AM

ya whenever i go to core audio manager its all greyed out. Apparently the mbox2 is an unsupported device? at least thats what core audio manager indicates.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:12 AM

the digi coreaudio manager reports that it cant find the digi hardware.

yet everything works.... iTunes, web audio - i can even playback in iTunes while PT is playing back. so i dont care that the coreaudio manager says it cant talk to my mbox.

as far as the topic - i set mine to never sleep, uncheck the hard drive box, and set the display sleep to something like 15 minutes. no problems.

http://overtheeffect.bandcamp.com
Old 06-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Avid

Quote:
the problem for me is i get kernel panics that mention the mbox, and in activity monitor, i always find coreaudiod not responding. Point is this, when i use the mbox to play system sounds i have to restart my computer 10 times a day due to kernel panics. I am assuming this is when i let the computer go to sleep but maybe i would get the panics even if it didn't. Does noone else experience this?
Sleep mode would almost certainly cause the kernel panics. There's an OS issue where, if you have a client application using, or set to use, the Mbox when you shut down, it can cause a kernel panic. Sleep mode is very similar to a shut down, as it 'disconnects' from any attached devices. This is why we recommend disabling it - when coming back from sleep, the OS has problems reattaching to Digi hardware.

I haven't specifically tested this, but one workaround may be to make sure no clients are using the Mbox and disconnect it before putting the computer to sleep. Then reconnect the Mbox after waking it up from sleep. No guarantees that it will work, though.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:52 AM

I just experienced the hang again while going into the AV options of iChat. I had itunes, and reason open, no protools. I do have the MBox2 set to play all my computers normal sounds (alerts/itunes etc.) As I clicked on the tab i got the beach ball and even after force quitting ichat still remained stuck until a restart.

Upon restart coreaudiod was already not responding. I force quit it but less than a minute later checked activity monitor and saw once again that it wasn't responding. I have my computer set to never sleep, the display to never sleep, hard drives never to rest. I do have airport and bluetooth on but i thought those were more of software issues with protools not hardware issues with the mbox.

I thank you for your continued help.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:15 AM

seriuosly consider not using the MBox for computer alerts and all 3rd party Mac apps. If you're on a different sample rate, it'll blink - you're waring out the hardware just of the sake of "fun" applications. Just connect the audio out of your Mac to an AV receiver or mixer. If you have an MBox, it's unbalanced anyway. As another poster suggested, just plug it in when you want to use Pro Tools. Never put your HDD's to sleep. I use power off for my Apple monitor all the time and have never had a problem with it. The Core Audio driver is limited - you should try using the Mbox for that stuff on Windows!