Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Clock problem solved, but still somewhat unsure

I am in the middle of recording my friends band. We did all of the instruments last night now we were going to do vocals. I made a rough mix this morning of one of the songs, but when I bounced to disk and played back in media player, it is playing back at almost 2X speed.

I am using PT 6.4 w/ 001 and a presonus firestaion via light pipe.

The firestaion is in "ADAT only" mode. The clock on the firestation is set to external, 44.1

I have the clock set to ADAT under the hardware menu in pro tools. When I set the clock to internal it plays back at alomst 2x speed.

So apparently I have something set up incorrectly.

How do I get PT to play back at the correct speed when set to internal clock?

How do I get the Bounce to disk at the correct speed? I thought maybe that when performing a bounce to disk while the clock was still set to ADAT that it would bounce at the correct speed, but it does not.

Is there anyway for me to use the tracks I recorded last night and continue recording the vocals today? Or do i need to re record every thing again at the correct clock speed.

Please help me out, my friends band is down stairs waiting for an answer.

thanks
ryan
Old 11-27-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Urgent!! Clock, Sample rate,Problems help ASAP

I found this in the answerbase. My problem with this is that both the session and firesstation were set at 44.1. However the firestaion was set to external clock source.

This will happen as a result of having had Pro Tools clock off an external device which is set to a sample rate that is different from the sample rate of the Pro Tools session and then switching back to internal clock in Pro Tools. For example, you have a 44.1k Pro Tools session and you are clocking off an external device (e.g. an ADAT) that is set to 48k, your files will actually be recorded at 48k. In Pro Tools, if you then switch the Clock Source to Internal, the playback will sound slow.

The workaround is to do the following:

1. Create a new session at the correct sample rate, i.e. the sample rate that the external device was set to when Pro Tools was clocking to it.
2. In the new session, go to File>Import Session Data and open the original session.
3. In the Import Session Data window, in the Sample Rate Conversion Options section, uncheck the box next to "Apply SRC."
4. Highlight all the tracks you wish to import.
5. Click the "OK" button.

The new session will now playback at the correct speed
Old 11-27-2005, 04:19 PM

Well I decided to go ahead and re track all of the instruments. I figured out the problem was that the firestation should have been set to internal clock. But I am still curious what the clock speed actually was when I was having this problem. The firestaion was set to external 44.1 and PT was set to ADAT(optical) , the session was 44.1.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 PM

The FireStation should have been on INTERNAL - since it was the clock master.

I also have a free utility on my web site to change the sample rate in WAV files' headers.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-28-2005, 09:48 AM

Thanks rail. Once I calmed down for a minute and actually thought about how I had it setup I realized what was wrong. But I am still curious what was the actaul sample rate of my original sessions? The firestation was set to external, but there was no external clock source. Any ideas what the sample rate was?

thanks
ryan
Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 AM

That's undefined.. who knows.. perhaps the last good clock source's sample rate it saw? I have no idea.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••