Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2014, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Scarlett Interfaces - New MixControl and Driver Betas July 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
I'm curious. Do you have these change sample rate issues with other DAWs?
Not me, i experienced this problem only with pt 11.2.1
Old 11-02-2014, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Scarlett Interfaces - New MixControl and Driver Betas July 2014

A couple of points that seem to have gotten missed...

Just because something can be replicated does not mean it's a bug. It just means it is replicable.

If you click the "Play" button in Pro Tools it plays the session. If I click the "Play" button in Pro Tools it plays the session.

That is a replicable scenario, but it is not a bug...that is how it is supposed to work.

What is in the best interests of a 3rd party hardware manufacturer may not be in Avid's best interests.

Sample rate changes work fine with Avid interfaces. Why should Avid care if it works fine with third-party interfaces?

Avid said Pro Tools can now work with third-party interfaces...but they didn't say it would be easy to use them.

So, if you have to do a lot of sample rate changes, an Avid interface might be a better solution for you than would a third-party interface.

See how that works?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 11-02-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine_Focusrite View Post
Rather than changing the sample rate in MixControl, which isn't a good idea, what happens if you just open a session in Pro Tools at a different Sample Rate?

Pro Tools should request the Sample Rate change, then the unit should move to the new Sample Rate, which you will see reflected in MixControl. Pro Tools may then relaunch itself, stating "ASIO Device properties have changed. Pro Tools needs to restart." as is normal behavior for that software when hardware changes are made.

Kat we will miss you - you were always so very helpful

In respect to this behavior it would be nice NOT to have to have this behavior happen - maybe Focusrite can write the software differently to have it change like a DiGi or avid based interface?

Would be nice- maybe avid won't give that info to you to be able to make Those changes, idk?

FWIW - on a Mac the behavior of the Focusrite software has been more stable than my experience on Win platforms
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:48 AM

Hi Bill, i don't understand your point.
I bought the software (pro tools) and they say it works with third-party interfaces, now there is a small problem, it doesn't playback at 48khz, to me this is a basic function. It should work fine!
We are not talking about a strange/delicate issue but we are talking about something that every software must do (no problems with other softwares).

You said "but they didn't say it would be easy to use them", what?
Are there manufactures that claim something like this? Or should i buy only products with an "easy to use with focusrite" label on it?
The problem looks simple to me: there is something going on between focusrite and pro tools latest version, find out what it is and solve it! I think they can do it easily.
Sorry for my english!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Would be nice- maybe avid won't give that info to you to be able to make Those changes, idk?
Yes, I've always thought of that possibility. Why else would Focusrite not write a proper Windows ASIO driver? Lack of knowledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
FWIW - on a Mac the behavior of the Focusrite software has been more stable than my experience on Win platforms
Mac Core Audio simply must be way better understood and supported by audio interface manufacturers.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:59 AM

Here's a related topic, because this is not just a Focusrite problem:

Sample Rate and H/W Buffer negotiation woes
Old 11-02-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I'm curious. Do you have these change sample rate issues with other DAWs?
I don't use other DAWs, so don't know.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
A couple of points that seem to have gotten missed...

Just because something can be replicated does not mean it's a bug. It just means it is replicable.

If you click the "Play" button in Pro Tools it plays the session. If I click the "Play" button in Pro Tools it plays the session.

That is a replicable scenario, but it is not a bug...that is how it is supposed to work.

What is in the best interests of a 3rd party hardware manufacturer may not be in Avid's best interests.

Sample rate changes work fine with Avid interfaces. Why should Avid care if it works fine with third-party interfaces?

Avid said Pro Tools can now work with third-party interfaces...but they didn't say it would be easy to use them.

So, if you have to do a lot of sample rate changes, an Avid interface might be a better solution for you than would a third-party interface.

See how that works?
Bill, I don't see your point either. Sample rate change is a basic function. To say that PT works with 3rd party interfaces implies basic functionalities will work. Clearly, in this instance, its not. I've gone through proper channels in reporting it, too. I've communicated directly with Focusrite on it, sent them screen shots, step by step what happened and all the rest. They agree it IS a problem and they want to fix it. Others have had the same issue. Bottom line is, a simple change of sample rate should create all this mayhem with the system.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
It might be worth downloading a few demo versions (reaper, nuendo, audition) to see if they have similar problems.

I see very similar problem to you with regard to sample rate changing and that's with a TC Electronic interface. That interface & driver behaves impeccably with other ASIO hosts.

I guess I'm trying to gently nudge you in the direction that maybe the object of your frustration shouldn't be Focusrite but erm, elsewhere.
Maybe so...but I'm not inclined to switch DAWs. I actually have Reason 7 and Reaper, which I use with Rewire for various things. I guess I could experiment with those. But the bottom line is, I really do want it to work correctly with the Focusrite because it sounds so awesome!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
OK, I'll be less subtle. There is every possibility that the issue isn't with Focusrite but rather with Pro Tools. I've just lost an hour of my life trying to get Pro Tools to use 44.1KHz sample rate with my TC Electronic interface. I've given up. Adobe Audition CS6 will switch cleanly and efficiently with that very same interface. As will Sampletank 3 running in ASIO native mode. No problems, no lockups, no hangs...it just works.

With Pro Tools this appears to involve some sort of major brain surgery. Don't kick Focusrite. Kick Avid. They deserve it.
True, totally agree with you.