How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 AM

Default Using the 11Rack with studio monitors

Hello!
Im going to buy some studio monitors. I dont want to spend too much so im going for a pair of Yamaha H8's. So how would that work with the 11rack?
I want a simple setup and i dont feel like having to use other speakers or headphones while tracking. I want to use the monitors both while recording and mixing. So my question is basically, is it ok to use nearfield monitors like the H8's while playing higain stuff or can it damage the speakers? Im thinking about feedback and stuff.. So?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:40 PM

Default Re: Using the 11Rack with studio monitors

All depends on exactly what you are doing and we have no real idea of that.

"high gain" really does not necessarily say what volume you want to play at while tracking. Are you trying to get the Eleven Rack to sound like an "amp in a room" that you are playing/listening to live while tracking? Or are you trying to get more something to manage recording and mixing on?

For the later the H8 monitors should be fine, for the earlier less so, for that you may want a louder PA style amp. KSC Q10 or similar. Just start with one speaker and use that for monitoring. You'll need headphones and/or a pair of monitors like the H8 for mixing. OTOH if you have nothing today you might as well start with the H8 and see how that goes and look at something like the KSC Q10 or similar later if you need to (including Yamaha's nice equivalent PA monitor(s)). Just don't expect slamming loud live amp/cab sounds from the H8s.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-04-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:32 PM

They will be fine for the purpose you describe. I have used the same setup for years since the 11 came out. I have had no issues with harming speakers. I prefer recording through headphones, but that's personal choice. Have fun!
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 06-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.
For years i've just been using my surround receiver and four large 250watt speakers. They can play louder than my ears can handle..lol.. This system works really well for listening to regular cds and when watching concerts. It also sound pretty good with the 11Rack. But when recording and mixing these speakers can get a bit boomy.. Too much bass.. I want it to sound more flat when mixing. So im thinking some nearfield monitors will do.
When i said higain.. Im meant metal.. Who plays metal with low volume?
I could use my current setup for playing and recording and then switch to the Yamaha H8s when mixing, but then i would have to go back and forth to unplug and plug in the HS or the surround system since i only have two outputs.. Or is there some type of inexpensive device that could do that for me?
Old 06-04-2016, 06:36 PM

Boominess is frequently an issue of room tuning/treatment and speaker placement. You might just want to try working on that if you have not already.

You are asking about a monitor controller. Anything from a Mackie Big Knob on up... to say a Grace m902. Very much something that most folks should likely have.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:18 AM

Thanks! Looks like the Mackie Big Knob is just what i need.