Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack - Standalone - No sound on startup

I bought it from someone off The Gear Page. Apparently it worked completely fine, although he used Pro Tools (which he did not sell with the unit). I'm not sure if he'll take it back, but I'm looking into it.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Johnston View Post
I bought it from someone off The Gear Page. Apparently it worked completely fine, although he used Pro Tools (which he did not sell with the unit). I'm not sure if he'll take it back, but I'm looking into it.
It *might* be possible that whatever is happening only affects the local monitoring in the Eleven Rack, and it actually would still work OK as an audio interface, still seems a long shot to me.

You could test if justt playing back any old audio through your computer to the Eleven Rack works.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM

I don't need it as an audio interface really. I have a set up. I simply wanted an upgrade from my Boss rack mount and be able to upload user patches that I find sound good. If I can't do that, it collects dust.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Johnston View Post
I don't need it as an audio interface really. I have a set up. I simply wanted an upgrade from my Boss rack mount and be able to upload user patches that I find sound good. If I can't do that, it collects dust.

Might be a long shot but when you connect to the computer and all goes silent, go into the settings on the unit and toggle the sample or clock rate. Sorry if it's already been suggested.
Gibson Guitars
Washburn Guitars
Michael Kelly Guitars
Yamaha Bass
Roland TD30K
EZ Drummer 2
Superior Drummer 2.2
Old 07-24-2015, 04:15 PM

I bought a unit second hand about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem with it until now. Same issue as everyone else no sound on start up.

Is there any update to this issue or do I just bin the thing?

Such a shame, I really liked the product. Looks like my decision to go to Amplifire has been made for me.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo Aus View Post
I bought a unit second hand about 6 months ago and haven't had a problem with it until now. Same issue as everyone else no sound on start up.

Is there any update to this issue or do I just bin the thing?

Such a shame, I really liked the product. Looks like my decision to go to Amplifire has been made for me.

Does it work standalone? (Rig input set to guitar in?) Do the meters in the ER show activity? Does it work as an interface? What rev eleven rack? Have you checked for the known clock issue (rev E only)?
Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Does it work standalone? (Rig input set to guitar in?) Do the meters in the ER show activity? Does it work as an interface? What rev eleven rack? Have you checked for the known clock issue (rev E only)?
Thanks for the response.

Doesn't work in standalone - checked it is set to guitar input.

No activity in ER meters or tuner. Not sure where rev details are and I don't seem to be able to access clock controls via menu panel - only option is through DAW software according to screen.

Issue is intermittent. Usually works after a couple of on off cycles.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the response.

Doesn't work in standalone - checked it is set to guitar input.

No activity in ER meters or tuner. Not sure where rev details are and I don't seem to be able to access clock controls via menu panel - only option is through DAW software according to screen.

Issue is intermittent. Usually works after a couple of on off cycles.
You may have a faulty unit, but to debug things disconnect the USB cable. Then you can control the clock rate from the front panel. Try changing the internal clock between 44.1k and 48k. If that works then you have a unit with a faulty clock. I am suspicious that you have a clock problem if the problem appears intermittently. Do all your debugging with the Eleven Rack disconnected from a computer. Any issues with the Eleven Rack showing up on the computer or workign as an interface are separate from the audio/basic unit just not working.

The revision is the last letter on the serial number on the white label on the rear-panel. Some Rev E units were known to have this problem, it was supposed to be fixed but maybe you have that on another rev unit as well. Avid was previously fixing those Rev E units under warranty, which won't apply to your used purchase, but if you are having clock problem at least you may have the option of operating at a different clock rate.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You may have a faulty unit, but to debug things disconnect the USB cable. Then you can control the clock rate from the front panel. Try changing the internal clock between 44.1k and 48k. If that works then you have a unit with a faulty clock. I am suspicious that you have a clock problem if the problem appears intermittently. Do all your debugging with the Eleven Rack disconnected from a computer. Any issues with the Eleven Rack showing up on the computer or workign as an interface are separate from the audio/basic unit just not working.

The revision is the last letter on the serial number on the white label on the rear-panel. Some Rev E units were known to have this problem, it was supposed to be fixed but maybe you have that on another rev unit as well. Avid was previously fixing those Rev E units under warranty, which won't apply to your used purchase, but if you are having clock problem at least you may have the option of operating at a different clock rate.
Thanks Darryl.

Serial no. ends with G so it's not a faulty model.

Disconnected it from the computer and I haven't had the issue reoccur. I recently upgraded to Cubase Elements 8. Would this interfere with the clock?

Also the unit is in a basement and its been a fairly cold winter. Is this likely to impact?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks Darryl.

Serial no. ends with G so it's not a faulty model.

Disconnected it from the computer and I haven't had the issue reoccur. I recently upgraded to Cubase Elements 8. Would this interfere with the clock?

Also the unit is in a basement and its been a fairly cold winter. Is this likely to impact?

Thanks for your help.
If it reoccurs I would look for the clock issue. Even in non-rev E units.

It is possible that problem (or others) are temperature related... IIRC the clock issue was caused by slightly wrong/out of spec analog components so easy to imagine maybe being temp related.

Working with a DAW won't affect the clock issue... unless you are changing the clock setting from the computer/have different clock rates at different times... that may make the problem appear intermittent. There is always the possibility you have somethign wrong there, but with third party DAWs like Cubase you can't disable the Eleven Rack internal monitoring path so you always expect to hear output from the Rig Out (if all the relvent levels are set high enough to hear, and the guitar input is selected etc.). The level meters in the Eleven Rack are an excellent diagnostics tool to see if/where there are signals being seen by the Eleven Rack.

So lots of assumption here that it is clock related at all... mostly because if it is you have a likely workaround, if not and keeps happening you may just need junk the unit.