Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Default weird message and I don't know what it means!! argh!!

"ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel. Pro Tools must be restarted for these changes to take effect. Please restart Pro Tools."

then I close Pro Tools, and re-open it, and I get the same message. what is this?

I just (finally!!) installed the program today. I'm using Pro Tools 10, on a Windows 7, with a Scarlett 8i6 Focusrite interface.

I have no idea what I'm doing (don't really even know what a driver is, if I installed all the ones I need, etc.). someone, please, PLEASE help me! I'm just trying to record some dang music. gah.

-Tyler
Old 09-05-2012, 05:53 PM

Default Re: weird message and I don't know what it means!! argh!!

In general, any audio interface will need a driver (software that allows your computer and operating system to communicate and work with the audio interface's hardware). I'm guessing you did not install the driver for the Focusrite Scarlet 8i6 and Protools is trying to work with it as a basic ASIO interface and having trouble. Anytime you or Protools needs to change the playback engine, it will require a restart. Since Protools does not know how to work with your interface without a driver, it is seeing the interface as different and therefore requiring a restart. Every time you restart, it is just going through the same process and giving you the same error.

Protools is not an easy program to setup and configure. Take your time and read the instructions for your interface and Protools to install the proper drivers. You may need to get the latest drivers from Focusrite's website.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 09-06-2012, 06:38 AM

Default Re: weird message and I don't know what it means!! argh!!

If you installed the focusrite driver from an older disc, then you definitely need to update the driver. Focusrite had a problem with their driver for a spell, but apparently it is fixed now. I bet the new driver will fix your problem.