Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Default MIDI playback is only staccato note attack

I am relatively new to working with MIDI, so this could be a simple fix, but I have encountered a problem when writing MIDI to ProTools from an external keyboard: The recorded MIDI notes show the full and proper duration they were held down for, yet when I play them back, only the initial attack is played in the form of a quick staccato note and the rest of the duration of the note is silence.

This happens when played through any virtual instrument or setting i have tried (it is not as a result of any ADSR setting on the virtual instrument.) I have also tried writing the same MIDI data from two separate keyboards (Hammond XB-2 and a Yamaha Portatone), both of which produced the same problem (MIDI notes which display as the proper length, but only play back as a staccato attack with no duration to the note.)

I have found that I can make the note duration play properly only by using the trimmer tool to trim back the audio, which reveals an attack note function beneath the full note. If i delete this attack note and slide the duration of the note back to its original location, the note will now play properly in full duration. This is a very tedious task however and I feel like there has to be a simpler solution to get the MIDI to play back the full notes as displayed on the screen.

I am running ProTools 8.0.3 and using an Mbox Pro as my interface.

Thank you,
Kevin
Old 06-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Default Re: MIDI playback is only staccato note attack

Sounds like you are getting duplicate notes. Use the remove duplicate notes from the menu, then play and see if it is corrected. This happen to me when I had my controller keyb pluged in with both Midi and USB. Remoiving the Midi took care of everything. Your double triggering may be something else.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Avid

There could be a couple causes for this.

1. Multiple connections from the keyboard to the computer (USB and MIDI, going straight to the computer and through another device that's connected to the computer, etc).
2. Wrong MIDI Thru Devices selected in Preferences>MIDI
3. Multiple zones set up on the keyboard (thus triggering on multiple MIDI channels, which get merged at the input to the track in Pro Tools).
Old 09-02-2011, 12:06 AM

This problem occurred again but I think I have the fix,
go to Event-Event operations-change duration and in the box make sure "legato" is selected. Hope this helps some folks