Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2018, 04:09 PM

Default a session recorded in PT10, opened in PT11. NOISE!!!

I found a trusted friend who has an installer for Mac OS Yosemite. I recently have been experience H/W Buffer errors everytime i mix, using 3rd party plugins, the stock plugins, or no plugins at all.

I recently purchased a used Apollo, 1st ed. from another trusted friend.

I was using PT 10, with Mountain Lion for many many years. Basically, it was a compromise i had to make due to the hardware I owed for the last 10 years.

Now that I have Yosemite, I had to start using my PT 11. Seems fine, I installed it, updated my ilok, etc. (I have not updated my Apollo driver yet, nor have i updated any of my 3rd party plugins).

But today when I opened a session that I previously recorded with PT10, in PT11- I was experiencing lots of background noise during playback. Any of the tracks that had plugins on them I had made inactive. All I was listening to was a stereo track of the entire mix, and the Master channel. neither of which had any plugins assigned. I was opening PT 11 with no external interface attached. Just the Aggregate.

When I made the edit that I needed to do for the client, consolidated the track, and exported the stereo track from PT to my desktop, the noise was gone when played back. So the actual audio files aren't corrupted, but something is weird in my DAW.

What should I do? Where do I start?

My specs are listed below.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D9.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.2f44
Old 07-02-2018, 04:31 AM

Default Re: a session recorded in PT10, opened in PT11. NOISE!!!

Let me understand this - no audio interface but you monitored through the internal speakers? Or did you use a pair of headphones?

Was the noise actually in the audio? Or was it mechanical? And the noise was only happening when played inside PT right? When you say 'background noise' could you better describe that? Static? White noise? High pitched/low pitched?

QAPLA!
Old 07-02-2018, 07:03 AM

Thanks for your response and questions. Let me try to clarify.

I was monitoring in BeyerDynamic 770 headphones. I unplugged them to see if the noise was there in the computer speakers, which it was.

The noise isn't a malfunction of the monitoring, because I've tested them with other sources. I've watched movies on the computer speakers, I've plugged the headphones into other hardware, and they are working properly.

The noise was only happening when played inside Pro Tools. It sounded like digital distortion.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:40 AM

no interface. I was monitoring through headphones (Beyer Dynamics 770d), and then checked it with the computer speakers.

The noise was only in PT, because I exported the stereo audio track I was working on and played it back in iTunes and it sounded fine.

The noise was best described as digital distortion. Not high pitched.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstocker77 View Post
no interface. I was monitoring through headphones (Beyer Dynamics 770d), and then checked it with the computer speakers.

The noise was only in PT, because I exported the stereo audio track I was working on and played it back in iTunes and it sounded fine.

The noise was best described as digital distortion. Not high pitched.
Those Beyers must really be efficient because the headphone output on a Mac laptop doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of drive behind it. Try running that PT session through a real pair of powered monitors and see how that sounds.

QAPLA!