Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Default How to get around an ilok?

This is the most obnoxious tool in the world. I am using really big projects in protools and am running into such a hassle when my ilok accidentally slips out or I need another USB port/need to transport my laptop somewhere. I normally have to wait about 25 minutes to reopen my project and its plugins.

Is there a way I can have it so that Protools won't lock up when I take my ilok out?
Old 09-03-2014, 03:46 PM

Default Re: How to get around an ilok?

Hi

There is no other way as the ilok has to be connected at all time when using Pro Tools so sorry to say no other way.
As Avid has chosen to use Pace / ilok as copy protection we have no other way to authorize and use PT except with iLok

Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM

25 minutes??
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM

Invest in a new computer that doesn't take so long to load sessions, has more USB ports available, or buy a $20-50 USB hub.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 PM

Or switch to a DAW that doesn't require a dongle(like Reaper or Harrison MixBus)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etroiano View Post
I normally have to wait about 25 minutes to reopen my project and its plugins.
I've told you a million times, never exaggerate!!

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etroiano View Post
This is the most obnoxious tool in the world. I am using really big projects in protools and am running into such a hassle when my ilok accidentally slips out or I need another USB port/need to transport my laptop somewhere. I normally have to wait about 25 minutes to reopen my project and its plugins.

Is there a way I can have it so that Protools won't lock up when I take my ilok out?
None that are legal
How can an iLok slip out? Get a dongle buddy and tape the iLok to your computer - that way it won't come out of the connector.

QAPLA!
Old 09-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Or switch to a DAW that doesn't require a dongle(like Reaper or Harrison MixBus)

Studio One
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Besides just learning to love the iLok, or switching DAW completely, the other potential solution is to use Pro Tools LE.

Of course there are limitations (beyond the fact that the software has some features missing compared to newer versions, as well as, of course, in comparison to HD software) in that you would have to use specific hardware :

Digi003 / Digi003Rack / Digi002 / Digi002Rack / Mbox 2 (mini, regular, or Pro) / Mbox 3 (mini, regular, or Pro) / Eleven Rack.

and your computer OS would have to be compatible with whichever version of PT LE you were using. But you should have no problem running Snow Leopard, or Windows XP, and Pro Tools LE 7.4 or 8.

It's another option if you want to stick to Pro Tools, and not deal with an iLok to authorise the software.

Of course, you may find you rely on some plug-in's that do require iLok authorisation, and then you're back to square one.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:50 AM

I've got daws and apps the use ilok, and some that use license files, and some that use question and answer, to authorize them. In all honesty the ilok is possibly the easiest.

I've changed computers a couple of times in the last year or so. And everything that was on the ilok I simply reinstalled. Everything else I had to deauthorize, which is sometimes easier said than done, install and then reauthorize. Which again can be a headache. And heaven help you if you forgot to deauthorize something before getting rid of the last computer.

And ilok isn't perfect. But it really is pretty convenient. And more to the point. Why does it take so long to re open a session? Maybe an SSD would be a worthwhile investment. Along with a USB extension cable. :)