Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2019, 03:47 PM

Default Workspace and Searchable Tags

I'm on PT 2018.10 trying to tag a large library of music with descriptions- key, orchestration, mood, etc. Tags created in 3rd party apps (Twisted Wave, Swinsian, Soundminer) are NOT visible in any of the columns in the Workspace window in Pro Tools. Any ideas how to get this to work?

Workspace "soundbase" window works to create tags in the files, but similarly, opening them in other apps, nothing visible. Ideally would like to be able to hand this library to a music super who may or may not have Pro Tools. any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
JDK
Old 07-05-2019, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Workspace and Searchable Tags

In SoundMiner, did you write back to embed the tags into your library?
(I'm not sure if Pro Tools uses the iXML format or one of the others but SoundMiner, by default, does not write back into the file the tags. You have to expressly tell it to do it.)

Soundminer can write back to other tag formats but many of them are limited in scope so it can only write back what is offered

(I'm referring to SM pro; I know some tagging and batch tagging things aren't available in the other versions)

Personally I don't use the Pro Tools workspace soundbase at all so can't help you there. It's too slow/cumbersome compared to Soundminer for large collections.