Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 AM

Smile Avid - listening to customers - this is what I'd like

Hi Avid,

I recently got an email about an event in Europe advertising that you will have customers on stage etc and in the press releases for pro tools 9 I heard a lot of comments about avid listening to customers (something ssl is jumping on with their new x-panda). I do think its a good marketing strategy and I know you can't please everyone but here it goes - this is what I want

I would like a PT9 native interface for tracking that takes all of the best features from the 003, HD omni and RME UFX.

Apart from the obvious good features in the above it needs to have:
  • clock, monitoring and conversion as in the AVID HD boxes
  • 18 i/o like the 003 but with an adat that supports up to at least 96k (so I can add external converters such as AVID HD 8x8x8 or Aurora 8. Two channels of SPDIF so can add API AD2D - Note all of these must be able to run at the same time not a max 8inputs like the omni. AES as well
  • a remote control option like the UFX but with more options, mute, dim, mono, volume control, monitor switch and talk back
  • 4 HD standard pre's and 4 balanced line in's so can add 4 of my own pre's. The xlr inputs for the pres should be on the back like on the 003 - having them on the front is not very clean for the studio - if you need two on the front have dual access ports so you can access from the back too
  • thunderbolt connectivity - wan't to use an imac, pro tower is way to expensive

If you make this and at a price that matches the UFX you will clean up - I think it would suit the needs of every project studio and then if they go down the line of adding the HD i/o as adat they will eventually go HD

one final thing, it would be nice if when it does eventually come out that there will be the option of trading in the 003.

Please do this or you will loose all of your 003 people to the UFX. I know it will be a little bit of time before the Thunderbolt comes out but when it does if these options are not there and the RME or alternatives have it you will loose everyone on the hardware front.

PLEASE LISTEN LIKE YOU SAY YOU DO
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Avid - listening to customers - this is what I'd like

illinoise, honestly, you are in the wrong place to place ideas. Avid have a forum set up specifically for ideas (http://protools.ideascale.com/), which I am on as well. A good chunk of ideas that was posted there for PT9, passed. Your ideas will be voted on by your peers, but don't always change the outcome of Avid choosing or not choosing your ideas. Join the forum and enjoy!

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 07-22-2011, 05:59 AM

A couple of things to keep in mind:

1. The 003 is discontinued. They're not going to lose any sales of it because they're not making any more.

2. If they made the unit you're describing with the same quality as the HD interfaces, it would be quite expensive considering the price of the Omni and HD IO.

3. Thunderbolt interfaces are going to be a while off. Even hard drive manufacturers like OWC are not planning anything til 2012. I wouldn't hold your breath on this.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Yes.

You would either vote for my Omni thunderbolt/firewire suggestion :
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Avid-Omni-thunderbolt---firewire-800!/80068-3779

or get the RME UFX. I tested it last weekend and I think its great.
Probably not as good conversion as Omni, but better than the new Mbox Pro (wich I currently have)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM

Thanks for he heads up on the ideas's site, I will certainly post there!
  1. I know the 003 I'd discontinued I meant that when thunderbolt is a reality and avid bring out a non HD system they will loose out if it doesn't have these features because you can be guaranteed rme will bring out one that does
  1. It can't be that expensive, other than converters(only small difference) and thunderbolt the rme UFX has all these features and it's not that expensive relatively

Sorry for posting in the wrong place again, thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-22-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoise View Post
Thanks for he heads up on the ideas's site, I will certainly post there!
  1. I know the 003 I'd discontinued I meant that when thunderbolt is a reality and avid bring out a non native interface they will loose out if it doesn't have these features because you can be guaranteed rme will bring out one that does
  1. It can't be that expensive, other than converters(only small difference) and thunderbolt the rme UFX has all these features and it's not that expensive relatively

Sorry for posting in the wrong place again, thanks for the heads up!
You have to remember as well, AVID sells to more than Apple customers, but Windows customers as well.

I can't see AVID only making interfaces for MAC's until Windows machine get into the Thunderbolt game.

It took a while before Firewire was really adapted to Windows, and now apparently, FW drives don't work correctly in Windows.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 PM

True but I think thunderbolt will be with pc's pretty quick too and probably by the time the interface is released but I could be wrong. They could make it fw800 or usb3 compliant too
Old 07-23-2011, 09:49 AM

Sony is already shipping laptops with LightPeak. The wide availability of practical LP peripherals will coincide with mass adoption by PC OEM's. Might as well start calling the interface buy its proper name also.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-23-2011, 01:12 PM

Yeah had a feeling that was the case but wasn't certain when other poster made the mac only comment -

I've put it up on the ideas site as suggested, If you agree please vote:
Thanks

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ace/80310-3779
Old 07-24-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaudio View Post

It took a while before Firewire was really adapted to Windows, and now apparently, FW drives don't work correctly in Windows.
??? I Use FW and Windows 7 everyday works fine here ???

-D