Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 07-12-2009, 09:02 AM

Default Re: PT8 constant -6101 cpu issue - HELP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerbabar View Post
...I've hear lately (from peeps I trust) it's got to be a driver issue.
Finally I got the information from Digi support that is is an fw driver problem with "some" Macs (They didn´t mention what kind of modell or chip set "some" means).

Quote:
Try searching on the 6101 issue on this forum. I'm not the only one....
I´m with you. The same boat!

Still waiting for the promised new fw driver...
Old 07-13-2009, 11:59 AM

You keep on waiting for the drivers. I HOPE for your sake that it'll work out!

Me, on the other hand, is waiting for a 003r :)

That's my solution.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
BTW I never have had ANY issue recording to a usb-drive or the internal drive ever, and I've used PT for 7 years. I guess that makes me an idiot....
til now, so yes...
Old 07-14-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflash View Post
Are either your Bluetooth and/or Airport turned on?
You could also try disabling Spotlight as I believe it needs to be off to run PT.
Digi suggests to disable spot light in system pref to be able to use the command/space bar function to record. I do not think it would cause any issue. I used to have it enabled and I did not come accross any errors.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Avid

Quote:
You keep on waiting for the drivers. I HOPE for your sake that it'll work out!

Me, on the other hand, is waiting for a 003r :)

That's my solution.
You used known incompatible configurations in every test! Your problem isn't a driver or the hardware, it's your configuration.,

You should get the expresscard for best results or put everything in a chain on the FW400 port - Mac>drive>ProFire.

Wolfgang's situation I think is an exception - until you've tried a compatible configuration, we shouldn't assume this is a driver issue.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:21 PM

well....here's my experience with PTMP 8.0 & the -6101 error.
i've got an imac 2.4 c2d with 2 gigs of ram
profire 2626
glyph GT050
chained as imac>2626>Glyph & have tried it as imac>Glyph>2626.
spotlight-disabled
airport-disabled
bluetooth-disabled
all plugins-upgraded & compatable with PTMP 8

now.....when i got this computer (new) last august it ran just perfect. ive had alot of sessions on here with alot of tracks & using alot of cpu hog plugs. i've even had up to 6 instances of eleven running with 1 ozone3 & 20 tracks of audio at one time with PTMP 8. then 1 night i opened the midi editor to edit some drums in ez drummer on ONE SESSION & BAM!! all my sessions have suddenly started crashing with good old -6101 which says, as everybody knows,......."look here joonyer, you better remove some of yer RTAS plugins or increase yer hardware buffer size & everything or i'm gonna keep on kickin you in the face untill you do & then i still may not run the way you want me to!!!"......so tonight i've been trying to record some stuff & here's the setup......
1 stereo master fader
1 stereo instrument track with ez drummer
2 mono audio tracks, each with eleven on them running into 1 stereo aux with mcDSP MC2000 on that.
and thats it. no midi editor open on this session. so while i'm trying to record i got about 1/3 of the way thru the song & -6101 popped up & sed howdy. i've been having trouble with this for a while now & i've read post & trouble shot according to Digi's general trouble shooting guide & read more post & trouble shot some more till i could puke coat hangers. i'm pretty positive i've downloaded the latest PACE & M-Audio drivers also. the only thing i know left to do is get out my sledge hammer & calibrate this thing accordingly, but that would be an absolute last resort. so i guess all i'm trying to say is...Digi....pleeeeeeeeeze help me before i end up in the nervous hospital.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:39 AM

It sounds like ezdrummer running in your sessions has something to do with it.

My setup is very similar to your own (2.66 gHz imac w/4 gigs memory -> FW drive -> 2626 & PT8cs3 on 10.5.7). It purrs on sessions, i rarely, if ever, get the dreaded -6101 error, until I use BFD2 on an instrument track. After hours of researching every thread even close to the topic I've come to the conclusion that pro tools and high end drum plugs just don't share ram well.

My solution was to work through the BFD2 manual to find the most efficient way to work it with pro tools. I've set up BFD2 so that all sample load directly to RAM. Then I set it up to take up a certain amount of ram for those samples. Finally, for monitoring I drop BFD2 down to 16 bit mode. Running BFD2 with pro tools can now happen on my machine without glitches (so far). It was a hell of a task, but now I can monitor BFD2 to see that it uses only 1 gig of ram, leaving 3 for pro tools to run on. Before it was taking 1.8-2.8 gigs, depending of the intensity of the drum parts.

One more thing, since I like my sessions at 24 bit, once I've finished tracking/programming and editing drums in a session, I choose my sounds, disable any other tracks in the session, set BFD2 back to 24 bit, set up a huge rtas buffer size, and record my drums to audio. Once this is done, I have 24 bit drum tracks at whatever sample rate I'm doing my session at, and I can disable BFD2, allowing my system to run like a champ again.

I don't know if you can do something similar with ezdrummer as I have no experience with it. I do suspect that that is your problem, if it's anywhere near as memory intensive as BFD2 then it's probably sucking up most of your ram power and leaving pro tools to choke.

Hope this helps a little, best of luck with your system.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM

hey thanx for the reply Theo,
the thing about ez drummer is it's very CPU friendly, but just to check out what you said i removed the ez drummer track & still get the -6101. thanx for you input though. i did forget to mention on this particular session i was working on last night is i have a stereo delay send also (waves super tap) tonight i also uninstalled PTMP & reinstalled it back to see if that helped but it didn't. i had seen a couple of posts about uninstalling the previous version of PT (i think i had 7.2) before you load PT 8 & i didn't do it that way. now i feel like going & slamming my head in my truck door a cupple of times and i can't find a PTMP 7 icon anywhere on my computer, so i don't know how to find it to uninstall it. .....now if i wanted to go back to 7.4 am i gonna have to uninstall the OS & PTMP 8 & then reinstall it 7.4 + OS 10.5.4 all back? because i think i read on DUC search 7.4 will only work with OS 10.5.4? the thought of all that is starting to make me sweat quite a bit. anyway, thanx for any help anybody has out there.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You used known incompatible configurations in every test! Your problem isn't a driver or the hardware, it's your configuration.,

You should get the expresscard for best results or put everything in a chain on the FW400 port - Mac>drive>ProFire.

Wolfgang's situation I think is an exception - until you've tried a compatible configuration, we shouldn't assume this is a driver issue.
Just to update everyone on this I bought myself a Digi003r and everything works as it should.

What is weird (although it's not so weird for me) is that I can record on the internal drive, I can record on a USB drive. It also works having the 003r and a FW-disk on the same bus. No issues what so ever, Bluetooth is on, Aiport is on, Spotlight is not disabled.

So it basically works the same way as it did with my 002, even if I try every imaginable not supported configuration.

I've been a PT-user since 2001 and I know my way around PT. I did not know I would be as "flamed" as I have been for stating that the system worked with the same configurations and a 002r.

It worked with 002r
It didn't work for PFLB
It workes with 003r

Same machine, same OS, same drives and so on. Of course not the same version of PT (after all PTLE and a 002/003 obviously won't work)..

My guess?

PFLB and PT M-powered is still not a go if you want a studio you can trust.

YMMV. I'll run and hide now :)
Old 12-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Avid

For anyone experiencing this error - can you tell us if you have RTAS/Host Error Suppression enabled or disabled in the Playback Engine and, if you do, does disabling it stop the 6101 errors from occurring?