Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2004, 09:19 AM

Default ANY Drum Programming program that will do....

All,

I have Battery and I have some KILLER drum sounds but I am not using them because I cant mix each drum separately. I am also about to purchase an Apogee 200 so getting a new sound card for another computer along with new sequencing software etc is kind of out of the budget. What i need to know is this:

Is there a program out there that will run on my ProTools machine that will allow me to send each drum to a different output so that I may mix each piece of the kit separately? Also....I would like it to be able to read DrumKit From Hell files......

TIA,
S0nguy
Old 04-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: ANY Drum Programming program that will do....

Go with the dr008 drum sampler from fxpansion my friend. You won't be sorry you did. It works similar in fashion to battery but it's much more flexible. You can assign 8 stereo outpus (16 mono if you did the math) and it accepts battery kits. So your drumkit from hell series will work just fine as it has in mine. Oh and as a bonus, they give you the option to download a ton of great sounding drum kits for FREE! The price is definitely right on this one.

http://fxpansion.com
Old 04-30-2004, 09:50 AM

Are you familiar with DR008? How does one write drum patterns in it?

I have a bunch of samples that I like and I am currently using Fruityloops to program my drums then exporting each durm as a wav and bringing into PT. I want a much easier way of editing patterns. Will I be able to just edit on the fly with this?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Go with the dr008 drum sampler from fxpansion my friend. You won't be sorry you did. It works similar in fashion to battery but it's much more flexible. You can assign 8 stereo outpus (16 mono if you did the math) and it accepts battery kits. So your drumkit from hell series will work just fine as it has in mine. Oh and as a bonus, they give you the option to download a ton of great sounding drum kits for FREE! The price is definitely right on this one.

http://fxpansion.com
WOW thanks!! so this will do what i want it to do?

How is it on CPU load?

Can i load two instnaces of it and have one for close mics and one for room mics?

Just curious.....why is it $99.00...can it really be that good? Wonder if the BFD is better.........comments anyone?

-S0nguy
Old 04-30-2004, 10:32 AM

If I get the RTAS version of DR008, I can run all the outputs separately to an AUX track in pt? or made sub-mixed in DR008 and then run those to AUX tracks in PT....there is little info on FX's webpage.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:06 AM

Nope. RTAS is an INSERT based plugin in Pro Tools.

In other apps, like Cubase, Nuendo, etc- they have a "virtual rack" that allows instruments to be loaded, and depending on the instrument, use multiple outputs. The outputs are then assigned FROM that virtual rack to multiple tracks in the app.

Since Pro Tools does not have a "virtual rack" inside, there is an option: Rewire.
The samplers in Reason can be used in this manner.

FXpansion is making a VSTi-ReWire app, but it has been dleayed for some time.
The new Drumkit From Hell SUperior library (recently released) is supposed to be using a "custom tailored, licensed version" of that VSTi-Rewire adapter.

FXpansion makes DR008. Included are VST, RTAS, StandAlone, and... Rewire! versions of it.
So, grab DR008, install, fire up PT, and then use the ReWire version of DR008.
Requires the user to insert DR008 as ReWire, goto the DR008 config window, change settings as needed, close DR008, then insert fresh to ahve the new config take. But, it does work via ReWire, allowing multiple outs.

While I usualy choose to use an nice acoustic kit (like DFH), the kits that can be downloaded after purchasing DR008 are pretty extensive, and are excellent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 AM

So all I can do is get one stereo out from DR008 into a stereo AUX track in pt? Ok....lets say I go that route. Once I have edited the MIDI to the way I want it with DR008, could I then bring that MIDI into Fruityloops, run the DR008 there and bounce all the drums to indidual tracks and bring into PT? Sorry if I make no sense, I am looking for a much easier way to edit drums(samples) right within PT and not have to jump from one app to another and import and re-import new drum tracks everytime I make a change.

Thanks
~seven
Old 04-30-2004, 11:27 AM

Ok re-read your post Nikki.....if I run DR008 thru re-wire...will this be a killer on my CPU?

And thanks for the help
Old 04-30-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Nope. RTAS is an INSERT based plugin in Pro Tools.

In other apps, like Cubase, Nuendo, etc- they have a "virtual rack" that allows instruments to be loaded, and depending on the instrument, use multiple outputs. The outputs are then assigned FROM that virtual rack to multiple tracks in the app.

Since Pro Tools does not have a "virtual rack" inside, there is an option: Rewire.
The samplers in Reason can be used in this manner.

FXpansion is making a VSTi-ReWire app, but it has been dleayed for some time.
The new Drumkit From Hell SUperior library (recently released) is supposed to be using a "custom tailored, licensed version" of that VSTi-Rewire adapter.

FXpansion makes DR008. Included are VST, RTAS, StandAlone, and... Rewire! versions of it.
So, grab DR008, install, fire up PT, and then use the ReWire version of DR008.
Requires the user to insert DR008 as ReWire, goto the DR008 config window, change settings as needed, close DR008, then insert fresh to ahve the new config take. But, it does work via ReWire, allowing multiple outs.

While I usualy choose to use an nice acoustic kit (like DFH), the kits that can be downloaded after purchasing DR008 are pretty extensive, and are excellent.
Nikki-K is the man...err.....woman!

You are truly an asset to this board.

-S0nguy

Old 04-30-2004, 12:55 PM

Nikki-K,

I downloaded the demo for the 808 but I cant seem to get it to work with rewire. I have it on a stereo aux track and I have the outputs set to 8 mono/4 stereo. How do i get my kick/snare/toms all on separate tracks? Are they MIDI or AUX tracks?

Also, the manual doesn't say anything about rewire OR pro Tools...

Thanks,

S0nguy