Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-10-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Track Limit

I was working on a song yesterday and could only get 22 or 23 working audio tracks. No plugins were active, no aux, no bus...just straight audio and only 23 tracks. Is it my Ram??
1gig
1ghz
G4
Thanks..

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 05-10-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Track Limit

Do you have a dedicated 7200rpm drive for your audio?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:40 AM

I get 32 tracks on my G4 867 (single) with 640MB RAM. And that's with all my busses going and plenty of plugs.

So, you should get more. If you're not recording to a dedicated internal drive that could be it (as was mentioned) or maybe it's a system configuration problem. Give us more specs and we'll see if we can narrow it down. What OS, what version of PT, what interface, are you using a separate user just for PT?

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:37 AM

By "get" do you mean you could not create any mor eaudio tracks, or your system would not play more than that number of audio tracks without running our of cpu power?

PTle has a 32 track limit, and stereo tracks count as 2 tracks.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the rapid responses. I am using PT 6.4 with OSX 10.3.2 with a Lacie external Firewire drive that is only for Protools read and write. When I try to open another track, the message says that there isn't enuf .....(cannot remember the exact words). It will load the track, but the last one in the list then becomes inactive. All tracks are mono.
Thanks again for trying, I was all set to up the Ram, I guess that won't help.

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 05-10-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the rapid responses. I am using PT 6.4 with OSX 10.3.2 with a Lacie external Firewire drive that is only for Protools read and write. When I try to open another track, the message says that there isn't enuf .....(cannot remember the exact words). It will load the track, but the last one in the list then becomes inactive. All tracks are mono.

SORRY!!
DIGI 002r

Keep Making the MUSIC
Old 05-10-2004, 11:06 AM

The exact error message is important, you should be able to create 32 audio tracks regardless of CPU speed, amount of ram or type of hard drive. Stereo audio tracks count as 2 tracks.

But, even if you create them, you might not be able to do much with them. That does depend on CPU, RAM and disk.

Quote:

Old 05-10-2004, 02:51 PM

Quote:
By "get" do you mean you could not create any mor eaudio tracks, or your system would not play more than that number of audio tracks without running our of cpu power?

PTle has a 32 track limit, and stereo tracks count as 2 tracks.
A session with 32 audio tracks/voices, 2 MIDI tracks, 6 stereo AUXes, 2 mono AUXes and plugs all over the place runs with some elbow room. I could probably squeeze a few more plugs or a couple more tracks (if PT would let me have more than 32 active).

For the record, PTLE has a 32 voice limit - not track limit, as you can have tracks that are not assigned to a voice (Dyn or Auto) loaded in a session, but only 32 audio voices active at any one time.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:32 PM

Quote:

That message indicates you've exceeded 32 voices... submix some tracks to open up more voices. As has been mentioned.. a stereo track takes 2 voices.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 05-10-2004, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

That message indicates you've exceeded 32 voices... submix some tracks to open up more voices. As has been mentioned.. a stereo track takes 2 voices.

Rail
...or he's got quickpunch on