Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Default Re: HD Native now on Digi website

I think it’s pretty funny to note the timing of this release; several months after ...

RECORDING Studio: Mac Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, Pro Tools 8.1.1,

MIX + MASTERING Room: MAC Pro, OSX 10.6.8, PT HD 3 PCIe, PT 8.1

3x 192 I/O, Digidesign PRE, UAD Octo, UAD Satellite Ultimate
Old 10-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
Logic has a dongle too, called a Mac.
Funny, don't all the versions of PT require either a mac or PC as well? Since that's the case you can hardly hold requiring a computer against any of the other audio apps.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike connelly View Post
Funny, don't all the versions of PT require either a mac or PC as well? Since that's the case you can hardly hold requiring a computer against any of the other audio apps.
You can in this case because you HAVE TO BUY A MAC. Not a computer, not just any old computer you can hack together yourself to save bucks on, but a MAC. It's a dongle. Why do you think Logic went from 999 to 500 as soon as they stopped PC releases of Logic?

TH
Old 10-06-2010, 03:08 PM

So don't compare it with Logic. There are plenty of cross platform or PC options in that same price range.

(and for the record, the price drop was five years after they discontinued the PC version)
Old 10-06-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
$500 for Logic
$250 for Apogee One
= $750

Surely a fairer comparison with this would be an mBox 3 at $549 ? No ADC perhaps but for many that's not a deal breaker.
Absolutely not. Logic is not Logic LE. Logic includes everything in the software version for $500. Pro Tools LE is missing many many many software features beyond just ADC.

My point is that if somebody wants to work in Pro Tools HD, you have to pay $6.5k. If somebody wants to work on Logic, they can pay as little as $750.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 10-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Expensive View Post
$6000 is not much for that much power. How much did a studer, a console, and all outboard FX cost, not to mention cables to connect it all????

I'm a little bummed that they chose to stick with PCI, which leaves laptops out of the picture and makes remote recording a little more cumbersome.
Laptops won't be out of the picture, as we're qualifying at least one Magma ExpressBox for use with the Native card...
Old 10-06-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
If somebody wants to work on Logic, they can pay as little as $750.
Heck, if you want you can take it on your laptop on a plane and keep editing there - technically you don't need any extra hardware at all.

And that's not specific to Logic, that's pretty much any other audio app.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmazurek View Post
This is more accurate. From the Airusers blog.

Here's a quick chart to show street prices and what the street price for an Avid system could end up at:

Apple Logic - $500
Apogee Symphony 64 - $995
Apogee Symphony IO - $1700
16 input card - $2000
16 output card - $2000

TOTAL - $7200

Avid Pro Tools HD FREE
Avid PT HD Native - $3000
Avid HD I/O 16in/out - $3650

TOTAL - $6650
It might also be worth noting, the Apogee Symphony I/O when spec'd with the 2 x 16 analogue I/O cards, ALSO gives you 16 digital I/O at the same time. It's not an either or situation.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM

For some reason I was expecting something more when all that rumor of a PT Native system was brewing. Seems Avid just copied Apogee. I was expecting them to innovate. We're on a big facility upgrade next year and I'll be looking at something like 9 PT systems to take the facility into PT8 and drop PCIx. When you can't even cross grade your interfaces to the new ones, not the innovation I was looking for, buying new boxes and having to sell all the old 192s on eBay is such a hassle. Nice about being able to run off a laptop though. But then again my partners have been running off Logic and their laptops for year now getting pristine sound out of a $500 duet box.

We'll still support Avid, as to think of it, we've used the product to make a living for our company and I am sure this is just the first of many things. When Apple launched the iPod, everyone thought "yeah another mp3 player", history shows that was not the case and the technology that started with the iPod evolved into the phone and pad. Avid needs to look deep into Apple's playbook and do something similar. Must admit it is a lot harder than it looks. Just my two cents. See everyone at AES!
www.hitproductions.net
Old 10-06-2010, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=Dism;1677853]So Logic and Studio One are also hardware...?

Why don't people understand that you aren't paying $3500 for the software? You are paying $3500 for an interface card that out-performs HD1 for half the price.

Find me a 64 channel card+I/O+Software that isn't several grand. /QUOTE]

You got it. I get the feeling that everyone who is complaining never used a PT HD for real. I understand Logic is better for composing, AU is better then RTAS, etc... BUT, please, there is NO comparison between those 2 apps!!!

I think Digi did a GREAT move and those things are gonna sell a lot. Is it expensive? A little, as everything form DIGI, but it's NOT that bad! If Logic, or another DAW was in the same level of Protools as far as recording and mixing, why are all you people here wanting to jump on the boat? Why don't you stick with whatever you got?

For me sounds like an excellent solution for a B room on any big studio and an amazing solution for every project studio in the world. I repeat what Dism said: Find me a 64 channel card+I/O+Software that isn't several grand.

And for those comparing PT HD Native card to HD1, no way. HD1 is has much less power than this (less tracks and less I/O)

Keep moving DIGi, now we're waiting for last and most important launch of the year. The new much more powerful PT HD cards!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0