Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-22-2021, 07:55 PM

Default Anyone use EQ-III for mastering?

I can’t speak for the EQ, but the Weiss dynamics plugins are a direct port of the code from the HW. We’re talking digital hardware here. The only difference is the AD/DA stage.

There’s a fair few people that have the HW and compared the plugin version and said they are identical. I don’t own the HW, but if it is a direct port, I wouldn’t imagine there would be any difference whatsoever. Again, we are talking digital HW boxes here.

My mastering EQ & dynamics are analog and some is tube based. For me, to make the trip OTB, was to go for something I can’t do ITB. Saying that, there are many mastering engineers that are fully ITB with phenomenal results.

I forget his name, but there’s an ME who uses IEMs for monitoring. Literally a laptop and some high end IEM and he travels around the world and works on projects in amazing locations with stunning views. Seems insane, but the results speak for themselves.

The gear is secondary. Skill set, room, monitoring then gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Anyone use EQ-III for mastering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Mastering used to mean the process of preparing material for vinyl (making sure low frequencies would not make the needle jump), but today it means the final ******** you need to do to destroy last bits of dynamics from your song.
Not sure if that was just one example, but there’s a hell of a lot more to mastering for vinyl than just centre-ing the LF.

Old 01-22-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
I can’t speak for the EQ, but the Weiss dynamics plugins are a direct port of the code from the HW. We’re talking digital hardware here. The only difference is the AD/DA stage.

There’s a fair few people that have the HW and compared the plugin version and said they are identical. I don’t own the HW, but if it is a direct port, I wouldn’t imagine there would be any difference whatsoever. Again, we are talking digital HW boxes here.

My mastering EQ & dynamics are analog and some is tube based. For me, to make the trip OTB, was to go for something I can’t do ITB. Saying that, there are many mastering engineers that are fully ITB with phenomenal results.

I forget his name, but there’s an ME who uses IEMs for monitoring. Literally a laptop and some high end IEM and he travels around the world and works on projects in amazing locations with stunning views. Seems insane, but the results speak for themselves.

The gear is secondary. Skill set, room, monitoring then gear.

I can post a HW vs SW efter the weekend just for the sake of you guys hearing how the SW is inferior. The heft of the HW is clearly noticeble.

Agree that the better you are at something the less gear is needed. We have the Weiss even though we dont master but thought we should have one so we can have a ME inhouse from time to time.

And the SW we were given a NFR so we tried extensively but gave up when a wizaed friend showed us the difference.

PS Can’t honestly think of anything LESS EXCITING than making music and tweaking ITB as staring at a plugin all day mKes my head feel like SH&T and not being aboe to feel a tube comp or tube preamp or what have you would be soo sterile I would quit music alll together.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-22-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I can post a HW vs SW efter the weekend just for the sake of you guys hearing how the SW is inferior. The heft of the HW is clearly noticeble.....
Appreciate your taking the time to do this - I'm looking forward to hearing it!

Although it has little influence on your results, please understand the ratio of those who can afford the hardware, compared with those who can only afford the software - and why many may be happy with the latter, if the difference is not too substantial.

FWIW:
A short quote about Daniel Weiss (Softube Weiss DS1 inventor)
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/softube-weiss-ds1

“Softube's DS1 plug-in uses the original code and is endorsed by Daniel Weiss himself, who says that it sounds no different from the original

Daniel Weiss Interview
https://www.studioknowmag.com/daniel...terview-part-1
“What is the difference between the original DS1, and the DS1MK3?"

"The DS1-MK3 adds quite a few features to the original DS1. The original DS1 started with a two DSP design and 48kHz maximum sampling frequency. So there were some compromises due to limited DSP power. The DS1-MK3 uses five DSPs and supports up to 96kHz.”

"I know that the original DS1 code has been ported to the software line by line, so in theory, it should be identical to the real thing in terms of performance.
Is the effect of your work really a hundred percent clone of the hardware device? In your opinion, is the plugin different from the original?"

“It won’t be identical as the floating point formats in the DSPs and the plugin CPUs are not the same and thus there will be very small differences.”
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-22-2021, 10:22 PM

So he saying it wont be any difference then he says it wont sound the same :
There us no way in hell ANY hardware developer would sell himself to software 1:1 as Who would buy the hardware they have put such huge money and developmemt into?

He contradicts himself and we can all read that here in your links.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-22-2021, 10:58 PM

The 2nd link’s ambiguity implied that “The DS1-MK3 uses five DSPs and supports up to 96kHz” – so does that mean it may sound better (???) than “The original DS1 started with a two DSP design and 48kHz maximum sampling frequency”.

That’s why I’m looking forward to your AB test, using identical settings
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 01-22-2021, 11:04 PM

Its the same with the Eventi.... plugs.....we have/had all the hardware and tested the software, and happily kept using the hardware....very expensive , but worth it.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 PM

Totally understand that you'd be more than peeved, if the Volkswagon out-performed the Roller!
Old 01-23-2021, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshuajusic View Post
. I have no idea if what I'm hearing is placebo effect after reading that it's supposed to be "cleaner." At first I thought I prefer it. Then I thought I prefer the original with EQIII because of the "dirt." Or maybe that's also placebo given Softube's price tag in the back of my mind. But again, I don't know if what I'm hearing is even real. lol
Did you try a null test ?
Old 01-23-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Did you try a null test ?
That means reversing phase of one and playing both back, right? They didn't totally cancel each other.