Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-21-2021, 10:49 PM

Default What is the Hybrid Engine?

I've been reading about the new Hybrid Engine coming for HDX users. One of its main features seems to be the ability to switch a plugin from DSP to Native and back again. Don't HDX users already have that? I've used the feature for years.

I'm confused about what the Hybrid Engine brings to the table. Can anyone share more info?
Old 01-22-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Re: What is the Hybrid Engine?

My understanding is that the Hybrid Engine uses the native mixer with DSP only being used to reduce the latency of plug-ins on track inputs that are being monitored.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:14 AM

Look at the info and specs for the new Carbon interface. The Hybrid engine is described there.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 01-22-2021, 11:17 AM

It's the same concept that they introduced with Carbon, but applied to the HDX infrastructure. It works exactly as Bob described, allowing you to use the native mixer and only use DSP on individual tracks that need low latency or to increase plugin processing power during mix.

I am assuming that it will allow voice packs to be used with HDX, meaning that voices are no longer tied to the number of cards. I am guessing that adding cards will unlock additional voices in Hybrid Mode, but that you will also be able to add voice packs without having to add additional cards.

Where are you reading about it? Have Avid made an announcement at NAMM? Or are you just reading the "Coming Soon" blurb on the product page?
Old 01-22-2021, 02:55 PM

Also it seems to have twin drivers. 1 for mac and 1 for Pro Tools exclusive.

My wonder is if you firmware to hybrid can you go back to the HDX mixer firmware?
Old 01-22-2021, 03:42 PM

from https://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-hdx

The Hybrid Engine. Option coming soon to HDX Systems.

The Hybrid Engine maximizes the performance of Pro Tools by using your native CPU and HDX DSP processing at the same time. When you put a track in DSP Mode, the HDX Engine accelerates real-time AAX DSP plugins while your CPU plays back the rest of your mix. And because every AAX DSP plugin has a native counterpart, you can move seamlessly between worlds—just click a button. Record with HDX DSP power for near-zero latency monitoring. And work natively with the same plugins.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.3, PT2023.12.1, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.3, PT2033.12.1, BabyFacePro FS
Old 01-22-2021, 04:23 PM

Just wrapping my head around change. HDX has been the closest to TDM II.

Theoretically...Hybrid Engine should be closer.

Thanks Mr. Russell.

Can’t wait to see and hear.
t

Last edited by DetroitT; 01-22-2021 at 04:25 PM. Reason: thx
Old 01-22-2021, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So we will run the mix engine natively now? I don't like how the native mix engine sounds compared to the HDX mix engine. Or at least I didn't the last time I tested it. Have things changed?

Yeah, I read the Carbon stuff and saw the coming-soon blurb. So there's a button to change a Native plugin to DSP while the rest of whatever plugins use Native - or DSP. But we've always been able to do that. So confused why I should want this? I mean, time will tell for sure.

Maybe it's to offload the mixing chores to the native CPU so the card can just run plugins?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Native or DSP.jpg (47.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopzilla2 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

So we will run the mix engine natively now? I don't like how the native mix engine sounds compared to the HDX mix engine. Or at least I didn't the last time I tested it. Have things changed?
The mix bus is 64-bit floating point on both. There really should be no difference.

Quote:
Yeah, I read the Carbon stuff and saw the coming-soon blurb. So there's a button to change a Native plugin to DSP while the rest of whatever plugins use Native - or DSP. But we've always been able to do that. So confused why I should want this? I mean, time will tell for sure.

Maybe it's to offload the mixing chores to the native CPU so the card can just run plugins?
I imagine the card will still need to run the mix engine for tracks that are routed through DSP (otherwise it would defeat the point). Running the mix engine on the CPU for non-latency critical tracks will allow Avid to deliver higher voice counts on HDX.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
The mix bus is 64-bit floating point on both. There really should be no difference.
Under about 20 tracks there isn't much difference. Mixes null pretty well except for verbs and real-time-generated effects. After 24 tracks (or so) all bets are off.