Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 01-21-2021, 04:24 PM

Default almost have pre-roll punch working - missing "one piece

Hi there,

How are you. I was wondering if someone could advise me - I'm using the 2020 version of Pro Tools First, and I'm having a problem with the pre-roll punch in feature. Though I'm able to successfully set the pre-roll, and it does punch in at the beginning of the clip parameters that I set, the audio does not continue playing onward after the punch in recording is completed (it stops dead at the bar/beat spot that I set). I'm running Windows 10 Home on a Lenovo laptop. I tried setting a post roll as well, but that didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, RB
Old 01-25-2021, 08:47 AM

Default Re: almost have pre-roll punch working - missing "one piece

It sounds like you are selecting the area you wish to record. The default behavior of PT is to only record in the selected area. If you want it to continue after the punch, then do not select the area, and only set the timeline marker to the spot where you want to start recording.

System Details
Old 01-25-2021, 06:28 PM

Post-roll also needs to be enabled and set to the desired amount(like 2 bars). Having said that, I'm not sure if this is something missing from PTFirst. Best to consider PTF a free teaser to see if you like it enough to buy the real version. If budget matters more to you, there are better options. I would look at reaper and Cakewalk by BandCamp. Reaper is free to try and cheap to buy. Cakewalk is free and both are capable of making music

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-15-2021, 04:42 PM

Just saw both of your replies today - thanks a million! I had given up hope and didn't thinks anyone would reply. Take care