Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-21-2021, 06:21 PM

Default Re: mono -> stereo. How to do it in PT?

“I want to give the vocal track a little spread. I can send it to a stereo bus, I can duplicate the track. But I want a single dual mono track. Why? Because I want to save tracks. Just a single track instead of two (bus or double track).“

As described earlier, that won’t give it more “spread.” In a nutshell, it’s “stereo” if there’s different information in the left channel than there is in the right channel. Even panning one hard left and one hard right isn’t going to give it any spread, it’s still going to sound like it!s coming from dead center. Offset one ever so slightly and you’ll get some left vs right definition, if that’s the effect you’re looking for.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:25 PM

He/she wants to apply stereo effects to widen the image of his mono track but wants to not eat up his voice count by doubling the audio track. PT track limit seems to be an issue for him/her and they are correct that PT sees mono or stereo tracks as one when tallying up the total.

The better option would be, again as pointed out above, to simply insert a mono to stereo plugin and do whatever they want that way. They won’t add to the track count and will essentially achiever the same effect. Not sure why the OP is wanting to do it with a dual mono file on stereo track.

Each to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 PM

Eeeep. This is easy peasy. Just duplicate your mono channel so that one is sitting above the other in the edit window. Create a new, empty stereo channel (either above or below the two mono channels)... select all of the audio regions across both mono channels, and drag them to the stereo channel with the hand tool.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Eeeep. This is easy peasy. Just duplicate your mono channel so that one is sitting above the other in the edit window. Create a new, empty stereo channel (either above or below the two mono channels)... select all of the audio regions across both mono channels, and drag them to the stereo channel with the hand tool.

Exactly. That was mentioned above as well.

My explanation was the cleaner way of doing it so the OP has the files in the clip list organised correctly for what they require.

Old 01-22-2021, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Exactly. That was mentioned above as well.

My explanation was the cleaner way of doing it so the OP has the files in the clip list organised correctly for what they require.

Hi,

Thank You all of you for your great answers! I will try the drag and drop.

An other question: When you have a mono lead vocal track - do you send it to a mono or stereo buss?
lots of plugins
Old 01-22-2021, 02:58 AM

Funny old game, because I seem to spend half my prep time finding mono stuff that's on stereo tracks - Logic exports seem to be particularly bad for this - and then splitting said tracks in 2 and binning one side. I can't see the need for a mono signal to be on a stereo track. At all.

(NB This probably doesn't matter in terms of resources anymore, but I guess I'm a bit fickle. I want a mono signal on a mono track, not a stereo one.)
Old 01-22-2021, 02:59 AM

There's nothing gained by duplicating the mono track and putting them on a stereo track over putting a mono to stereo plugin on a mono track from what I can see? In fact, there is likely more processing going on with the dual stereo track to begin with which has to read two tracks of audio rather than one.

Just use the mono to stereo plugin with the desired widening effect you like the sound of (delay, chorusing, pitch shift, reverb and such)?

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 01-22-2021, 04:32 AM

Default mono track to a mono or stereo buss?

Hi,

I just asked an entirely different question yesterday. I want to ask an other question:

When you have a mono lead vocal track - do you send it to a mono or stereo buss?

Thank You again for your replies!
lots of plugins
Old 01-22-2021, 04:34 AM

Default Re: mono track to a mono or stereo track

There are no rules, but I would always want to have LV dead center.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Funny old game, because I seem to spend half my prep time finding mono stuff that's on stereo tracks - Logic exports seem to be particularly bad for this - and then splitting said tracks in 2 and binning one side. I can't see the need for a mono signal to be on a stereo track. At all.

(NB This probably doesn't matter in terms of resources anymore, but I guess I'm a bit fickle. I want a mono signal on a mono track, not a stereo one.)
soundizers