Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 08-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

My new set up of Pro Tools 12 randomly develops a distortion sound. Any ideas? Sometimes it happens on start up and we have to switch everything down and power off again. The last time it happened was when we added a CLA plugin and the output sound immediately shifted to this distorted sound. We shut down everything, powered up again and still the sound remained on this occasion. Sometimes we have to re-start all the devices multiple times to get the sound to revert back to normal.

I attach a link below of the sound. It is only 12 seconds and should be a clean acoustic guitar. You can hear how badly it is distorting the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/thelastinnhou...ortion/s-Hqk4P

So we have an iMac running El Capitan. We have Pro Tools 12 and the output settings in the playback engine is set to our Focusright Saffire Pro 24.

Let me know if you need any more specs / information, but if anyone has a clue, it would be amazing as we waste so much time re-starting trying to get the clean sound back.

Thanks,

Victoria
Old 08-20-2016, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Distortion Sound on Pro Tools 12?

I get this too, usually shortly after launching PT. I have the same setup as you - iMac-El Capitan-Saffire Pro 24.
What works for me is to open Playback Engine settings (under the "Setup" tab) and change the H/W buffer size. That will usually do the trick and I don't encounter the error again. If I have a lot of VI's in the session, I will typically get the -9173 error, and the same process will get rid of it.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM

Gosh. Thanks so much. We'll give that a try. Really appreciate your time in responding! Cheers! Victoria
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM

You're welcome.
I should ask which version of PT 12 you're using? This issue was really bad on 12.4 but then seemed to improve when I updated to 12.5.1, although reports are mixed.
Also the higher buffer settings will create more latency, but that's not an issue when mixing.
Good luck - let us know if it works or not. There are a number of threads around here regarding 9173 errors and playback CPU issues.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:34 PM

Uncheck "ignore errors in playback/record" in the Playback Engine preference box.
PT has been doing this to me since version 10
- no problems with Cubase, Logic or Ableton, just Pro Tools.
What a surprise.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM

Are you changing to a higher buffer size, or lower, to fix this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
I get this too, usually shortly after launching PT. I have the same setup as you - iMac-El Capitan-Saffire Pro 24.

What works for me is to open Playback Engine settings (under the "Setup" tab) and change the H/W buffer size. That will usually do the trick and I don't encounter the error again. If I have a lot of VI's in the session, I will typically get the -9173 error, and the same process will get rid of it.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Are you changing to a higher buffer size, or lower, to fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have had this once or twice and it doesn't matter what way you change the buffer, just fiddle with it up or down and the horrible sound goes away

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-21-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
We have had this once or twice and it doesn't matter what way you change the buffer, just fiddle with it up or down and the horrible sound goes away
Exactly the same here. Doesn't matter which way you change it - it just seems to reset the playback engine. Typically for me, after doing this once, i have no further issues with it.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
Exactly the same here. Doesn't matter which way you change it - it just seems to reset the playback engine. Typically for me, after doing this once, i have no further issues with it.
Same, no more issues in that session as this usually happen the first 20 seconds to a minute. Weirdness galore but it works

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-22-2016, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Fire Sky View Post
My new set up of Pro Tools 12 randomly develops a distortion sound. Any ideas? Sometimes it happens on start up and we have to switch everything down and power off again. The last time it happened was when we added a CLA plugin and the output sound immediately shifted to this distorted sound. We shut down everything, powered up again and still the sound remained on this occasion. Sometimes we have to re-start all the devices multiple times to get the sound to revert back to normal.

I attach a link below of the sound. It is only 12 seconds and should be a clean acoustic guitar. You can hear how badly it is distorting the sound.

https://soundcloud.com/thelastinnhou...ortion/s-Hqk4P

So we have an iMac running El Capitan. We have Pro Tools 12 and the output settings in the playback engine is set to our Focusright Saffire Pro 24.

Let me know if you need any more specs / information, but if anyone has a clue, it would be amazing as we waste so much time re-starting trying to get the clean sound back.

Thanks,

Victoria
Have a look at this thread. It sounds very similar to the problem I had, which is now resolved.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383449
FaceBook
MySpace