Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-22-2021, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Dear DUC: New AVID Feedback System That Might Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingrockstudios View Post
My guess is Avid is paying attention to the business customers who have invested in many systems, control surfaces and are big players in the post production world. They are employing the 80/20 rule. 80% of their business comes from 20% of their customers. I am not one of those customers. As a result, I don’t spend a whole lot of time and effort reporting bugs, reproducing bugs, logging tickets, etc. I’m certain Avid knows about them, and when a bug gets to be a big enough problem for somebody important, it will get fixed. Apparently, nobody important enough is using VI and MIDI. So those bugs are likely a low priority. Seems that high visibility users like Hans Zimmer have moved on from Pro Tools to Logic. They probably got tired of waiting for Avid to catch up to other DAWs. Of course Avid is ahead in the post production feature set, but many DAWs can do things with VI tracks and MIDI that Pro Tools may never implement. The ROI just isn’t there. Now, if you want an audio manufacturer that responds and is active on message boards, mention Steven Slate and he may even respond personally! He does it all the time.
I thought Hans Zimmer was using Nuendo.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412995

You guys know about this right?
Yes, that’s why I’ve written about the poll. But it has only questions Avid is interested in. No question about their reinstatement threading about losing your perpetual license...
Old 01-22-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I thought Hans Zimmer was using Nuendo.
You may well be right. The interview with Hans I saw was a few years ago. For me the point is that Pro Tools doesn’t have a lock on the market like they once did, and I can’t see how it won’t catch up to them eventually. I do wonder how widespread the feeling is amongst Pro Tools users that Avid doesn’t care about most of their user base and their needs. It’s easy to complain on forums and all, but it at some point you would think Avid would make better attempts at some damage control. I recently joined a paid online class for sync music writing, and out of 320 songwriters there were only a handful of Pro Tools users from what I could tell. Many, many were Logic users.
PT 2021.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6, 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcowe View Post
I do have to agree, the few times I've been on AVID Link's ideas lounge it seems to be completely one way traffic with no real interaction except for occasional interaction from other users. I think either AVID should respond with ideas they like and have added into their cue to note what they are working on, and have that list be searchable.... oh wait I think I'm describing Ideascale.... gahh why did they shut that down? It makes no since. It was working pretty well I thought. Maybe we can have a ProTools ideas category here on DUC? But then that is going to become a mess too. I have no solutions.
Avid Link Feedback Lounge feels like a sparsely populated social media feed where anything posted disappears into the ether very quickly.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:09 AM

The most widely used DAW has always been Cubase. The most widely used DAW in professional studios has always been Pro Tools. I don't see that changing short of something radically, as opposed to marginally better being introduced. Most of us know how to do what we need to get done with it. It's the digital equivalent of 2" tape.

The attention to backward compatibility has been exceptional compared to the competition. Avid seems to understand that and has not introduced new bells and whistles that break decades-old workflows. I suspect that Avid's biggest challenge has been trying to offer professionals a reason to upgrade from Pro Tools 8!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412995

You guys know about this right?
Ya, but we only get to give AVID feedback once a year on this, and we can't really give feedback about things that aren't on their list. Also it is a very one way channel, we give them feedback and we have no idea if it was even received on the other end. And I think this is a fundamental issue. There is no communication from AVID acknowledging that they have added suggestions to their cue. And this all existed on Ideascale. And there is no interaction in Link's lounges, it appears to just be a user form that is more cancerous than this DUC forum.