Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 01-22-2021, 01:18 AM

Default Show used Automation

What is your workflow if you want to make small adjustments of existing automation. Lets say you used 5 different parameters in a track for one scene.
Do you ctrl + cmd + click on each individual plugIn parameter or is their a way to show all used automation at once?

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 01-22-2021, 01:42 AM

Default Re: Show used Automation

Enable preview mode, change settings the way I prefer, write to selection, exit preview mode. This only works on static automation though as it's written to the length of your selection. Ultimate only I think.

Note: when there is no selection and you write anyway, the entire track automation is removed, so be careful. Also, only touch the plugin/parameters you want to change. Everything you touch will be written.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 AM

Thanks for your reply! The way you describe is the way i make static automations for scenes too.
My question is more about the next step/ path. Lets say you jump back to a scene which includes automation already and you would like to see and adjust alle the used single automation lanes.

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 01-22-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
is their a way to show all used automation at once?

That would be a nice feature and something I've wanted for ages.
Something like 'show all written automation' and the lanes with automation written to them spill out under the selected track, very useful.

We can only dream...

They did bring in the feature where used automation parameters go highlighted orange in the track menu, which is useful. But I've found it's quite flakey and doesn't always work properly.

So, in answer to your question AFAIK there is no way to do what you'd like, other than opening each used lane individually.

There's room for a lot of improvement in the way PT handles automation I think. You should be able to Tab and select between automation points as well.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
You should be able to Tab and select between automation points as well.
For crying out loud yes.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belasoul View Post
Thanks for your reply! The way you describe is the way i make static automations for scenes too.
My question is more about the next step/ path. Lets say you jump back to a scene which includes automation already and you would like to see and adjust alle the used single automation lanes.
Not to be dismissive, but don't work this way. If you're in post, you should be enabling all parameters of nearly everything in your session, and using Preview with a surface to make changes. When I see an editor or mixer fan out the automation lanes and go to work with a mouse... huge time-suck.

Once in a while I wonder just how many snapshots or how much automation a plug-in has, so I open up the plug-in either visually or on a surface and shuttle through the area to see how many knobs wiggle.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Not to be dismissive, but don't work this way. If you're in post, you should be enabling all parameters of nearly everything in your session, and using Preview with a surface to make changes. When I see an editor or mixer fan out the automation lanes and go to work with a mouse... huge time-suck.

Once in a while I wonder just how many snapshots or how much automation a plug-in has, so I open up the plug-in either visually or on a surface and shuttle through the area to see how many knobs wiggle.
Sorry if I'm wrong here, but I think you might be misinterpreting what they're asking for. I believe they are enabling automation for every parameter, but asking if there's a way to spill out the automation lanes to populate only with those with written automation (i.e. the ones that would show up as yellow in the track view selector after doing a pass).

I don't believe there is a way to do this, but I can see how it would be useful for tweaking things to be less static after setting a snapshot for automation rather than going through and control+command clicking on individual parameters. Or just to see what all is actively automated when either revisiting a section or getting something someone else has worked on. Which makes me realize this would actually be useful just for clearing out existing automation that might already be written when getting something from a video editor.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:29 AM

Quote:
If you're in post, you should be enabling all parameters of nearly everything in your session, and using Preview with a surface to make changes.
Sure that's the way we all work, but there are plusses and minuses to both approaches.
Sometimes its easier or quicker to write automation with a knob or fader, sometimes easier and quicker to draw it in or nudge the existing automation.
If PT automation was simpler to access and manipulate in the ways described, it would help both scenarios.
The one thing I do know about us Sound people is we all work in different ways and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-23-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Not to be dismissive, but don't work this way. ..
Hi Nathaniel - as you know, I'm a music engineer and I can't tell you how many times I've wished for a way to display all used automation lanes on a track - it can be maddening to hunt through automation parameters to see what's going on - it's very common for me to have say 9 or 10 parameters on an eq automated and 'gliding' from one setting to the next, or to have a bunch of sends automating at a musical scene-change - if I need to edit 4 of those parameters, but not the other 5 or 6 it's a major PITA. If I could just quickly display them all quickly it would be very easy to see what's going on.

In post, where you're automating every parameter in a plugin I could see how difficult it might be to display all this, but still - a much-desired feature here.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 01-23-2021, 03:34 PM

If Rich Breen needs this feature, then I withdraw my argument!

And it's true, everyone does work in different ways. Pro Tools is not the only app that has hundreds or thousands of keyframe parameter changes over time. It would be interesting to see how this problem is addressed in Premiere, After Effects, Unity and Maya. Maybe there's something clever in that world that could be brought here. Some plug-ins in Pro Tools would fan out into the Edit window over a vast graphic space. That might be why Avid hasn't implemented this.